Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit

Notices

Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit

Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
That is one sweet ride.

I'm guessing the 4 seater/no cabin setup really limits it's pleasure or poker run desirability though. I know the big cats get setup that way, but those guys usually can have a cruiser too.
Well actualy there is an underdeck that is accesable through the two hatches on the deck. It has two love seats and a 6 foot sleeping pad
Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Toffen
Hi!

Just a quick question;

How will you compare Merc 515 EFI to Merc 600 Sci? Both performancewise and longevity The change rates are going in my disadvantage the Norwegian Kronor loosing strenght, so Merc 525 may may be an option.

I have been told the boat should run approx. 85 mph with the 525 and 92 mph with the 600 Sci.. 600 Sci is my favorite. Unfortunately Ilmor is not yet CE approved, so if I am to use such an engine, it implies lots of paperwork (and extra money).

Cheeers, Toffen G
My favorite over the two would be the 600 sci, but the 525 is also an excelent motor. Both are very reliable, as is all of mercs. engines

As to your question on props, the only time ive been in it and drove it was at the scope poker run in long beach, CA. With the illmor 7-10, imco drive with 2" shortie we ran a hering 6 blade 29 pitch. The boat had good acceleration, top speed, and it handled like a dream with the 6 blade
They have also tried different props such as hydromotive P5X and merc. maximus but im not sure which prop/pitch works the best
Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks For putting up those pics Lavey Jr. - Nice work,

Toffen- Youre setup must be cable actuated hydraulic- Yes?

I have a foot throttle as well, but when you switch to full hydraulic steering as opposed to cable activated hydraulic the on straight point is subject to drift after the system sits and has the outdrive moved a bit by water.

I experienced this when I installed my ITS system- Net Net- unless someone has figured out a way to put wireless trim on the wheel ( i did see one complex scheme) a cord wont work anymore because the wheel isnt always "centered". The way Jeff and crew have me setup now I have a outdrive trim "box" mounted on the floor with an up button on the right and down on the left as well as a redundant switch on the dash within easy reach. Im not a huge fan of the box per se but the system works superbly, Im looking a a land a sea unit that's more attractive.

Or maybe someone has a new scheme I havent seen?

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 - in 2 months!
Laveycraft 20.8 sebring
Fleetwod nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Registered

No problem

BTW, dave your boat is coming along nicely
Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Laveycraft 28 EVO

Hi!

No Dave, my set up is full hydraulic using a Hynautic Pro pump of 1500 psi. Ideally I should use a different pump since this one is originally made for a single configuration, so I have to turn the wheel 10 times from starboard to port vs. Normally you need 5-6 turns. However, its a very accurate system.

I have Teleflex fixed trim which is mounted below the steering hub, and easy to reach. Since they are mounted below the hub, they stay in the same position all the time. One for each engine. They have worked flawlessly. See picture (you have to focus on the dash). I will find the part number and send it to you. Then its no problem if the wheels dead senter changes.

One little question; my current hull is a straight v hull without a notch. Due to this the boat can do turns like a sports car. How does the EVO 28 handle this? As you see the boat is very narrow, only 5,5 feet wide. At wot (88 mph) some steering adjustments have to be done, but its predictable. How is EVO 28 ride at 90 mph speed? The EVO 28 is foremost number one on my hotlist due to its single engine configuration and rough water capabilities. We live by the north sea you see!

Cheeers, Toffen G

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Thanks For putting up those pics Lavey Jr. - Nice work,

Toffen- Youre setup must be cable actuated hydraulic- Yes?

I have a foot throttle as well, but when you switch to full hydraulic steering as opposed to cable activated hydraulic the on straight point is subject to drift after the system sits and has the outdrive moved a bit by water.

I experienced this when I installed my ITS system- Net Net- unless someone has figured out a way to put wireless trim on the wheel ( i did see one complex scheme) a cord wont work anymore because the wheel isnt always "centered". The way Jeff and crew have me setup now I have a outdrive trim "box" mounted on the floor with an up button on the right and down on the left as well as a redundant switch on the dash within easy reach. Im not a huge fan of the box per se but the system works superbly, Im looking a a land a sea unit that's more attractive.

Or maybe someone has a new scheme I havent seen?

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 20.8 sebring
Nissan Titan
Attached Thumbnails Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit-phantom-sommer-2006.jpg   Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit-phantom-mai-08-c-002.jpg  

Last edited by Toffen; 08-16-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lavey JR. THANKS good to hear- its starting to feel like Christmas as a child. I'm heading to the shop in the AM to take some picts for everyone (especially me)

Toffen- I see what you mean by behind the hub- When you said (Or what I may have perceived earlier) was that your scheme was actually on the wheel like my old setup, not on the hub. I still prefer my older on the wheel with a telephone like cord to the hub or the floor.

Im sure "the Brothers" can do another hub deal for you. Im also pretty sure that there is no way I can get what I had.

The "drifting" Im speaking of is not under pressure when running, but when powered off there is drift. When Running its being charged by a power steering pump and its solid as a rock, but about 4.5 turns if that lock to lock and I can get air with it and land straight with 3 fingers on the wheel.

As for the Ride of the evo- Ive never ridden in one, but have ridden in many nu-era boats in the pacific (which can get quite gnarly) and Ive been out on one in Lake Michigan which seems worse than the pacific and they felt plush.

Now Im not speaking from experience on the evo but I imagine with the seats so low in the hull its even better.

Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Nissan Titan
Old 08-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi!

Thanks Uncle Dave. I understand.

Look forward to see some pictures of you new ride!

Cheeers, Toffen
Old 08-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Registered

Dave- No problem. I cant wait to see that thing out of the mold. The gel scheme is going to pop real well and its gunna look awesome!

Toffen- The fastest ive driven the boat was 80mph in the ocean, and it was very stable. But through out all the testing, the boat was also stable in the 90's and up. But, if its flat and you trim it out to much then it could get a little bit loose. Although, in the chop and rough is where the boat thrives
Also, do you mean that your boat is a non step bottom or the transom doesnt have a notch in it?
The evo has two steps in the bottom and no notch in the transom and it turns real well and stable

Last edited by lavey jr; 08-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi!

Thanks!

My boat has no steps and no notch. So its a old style set up.

Do you know how fast the boat runs with a 600 sci at 3.000, 3.500 and 4.000 rpms?

Cheeeers, Toffen G
Old 08-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Toffen
Hi!

Thanks!

My boat has no steps and no notch. So its a old style set up.

Do you know how fast the boat runs with a 600 sci at 3.000, 3.500 and 4.000 rpms?

Cheeeers, Toffen G
I am not sure what those speeds would be because Lavey hasnt made one with this package.
If it helps here are the speed specs when tested by powerboat mag with an ilmor 7-10
Starting from 3000 RPM

3000...41mph

Quick Reply: Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.