Outdrive Setup Changes

Notices

Outdrive Setup Changes

Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive Setup Changes

Hi all,

Looking to make a few outdrive setup changes on my 2006 - 2750 NuEra this winter and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm currently running a 525EFI with a Bravo 1 XR, IMCO single ram assist, 27P Hydromotive P5X. I need to upgrade to full hydraulic (can't stand the slop at top speed) and was thinking about adding an IMCO 12" extension box with a -2" lower unit.

Anyone running a 12" extension box with a shorter lower unit on a 2750? The boat starts a mild porpoise at top speed (70-75 mph). I am hoping to eliminate this.

Here's a couple of pics from SF Fleet Week this past October

Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jsantos12 View Post
Hi all,

Looking to make a few outdrive setup changes on my 2006 - 2750 NuEra this winter and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm currently running a 525EFI with a Bravo 1 XR, IMCO single ram assist, 27P Hydromotive P5X. I need to upgrade to full hydraulic (can't stand the slop at top speed) and was thinking about adding an IMCO 12" extension box with a -2" lower unit.

Anyone running a 12" extension box with a shorter lower unit on a 2750? The boat starts a mild porpoise at top speed (70-75 mph). I am hoping to eliminate this.

I had to have the bottom blueprinted(modified) in order to eliminate the porpoise on my 2750. Some of the lifting strakes were removed. I do not have an extension but I am running a shortie imco lower with a Hering prop. I tried a P5X and the boat hated it. Boat is awesome now.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsantos12 View Post
Hi all,

The only 2750 bottom boats that Lavey has made with Imco extension boxes are the super vee light race boat and the two 28 evo's. All three with Imco 2" shorties. All three boats run GREAT with the setup and have zero handling issues. The closest thing to a stand off box that Lavey has done is the Merc ITS. Every 2750 that has been built with that set up ran flawlesly. As to your question if the Imco setup will work, yes it will work fine. Will it eliminate the porpoise.....? I'm not to sure about that. You will also have to go one size up in pitch, and you will pick up a few MPH
See, your boat is the original "full" NuEra bottom and that boat in calm water will have a slight hop at top speeds of 70-75. Get it out in the rough, it has zero problems and performs better than most 28' boats out there.

I am unsure if you are aware that Lavey has made slight changes in order to eliminate this issue you are having and the only way to get rid of the hop pretty much entirely is to take the boat to Lavey and have them do the new changes to the bottom. This consists of shaving off all the rear and mid lip strakes and shaving off two of the strakes.
With this change alone your boat will pick up a few MPH even without the extension box and shortie.

My sugestion is to call Lavey and ask them about all of this and decide from there what it is exactly you would like to do.
Goodluck and be safe.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lavey jr View Post
The only 2750 bottom boats that Lavey has made with Imco extension boxes are the super vee light race boat and the two 28 evo's. All three with Imco 2" shorties. All three boats run GREAT with the setup and have zero handling issues. The closest thing to a stand off box that Lavey has done is the Merc ITS. Every 2750 that has been built with that set up ran flawlesly. As to your question if the Imco setup will work, yes it will work fine. Will it eliminate the porpoise.....? I'm not to sure about that. You will also have to go one size up in pitch, and you will pick up a few MPH
See, your boat is the original "full" NuEra bottom and that boat in calm water will have a slight hop at top speeds of 70-75. Get it out in the rough, it has zero problems and performs better than most 28' boats out there.

I am unsure if you are aware that Lavey has made slight changes in order to eliminate this issue you are having and the only way to get rid of the hop pretty much entirely is to take the boat to Lavey and have them do the new changes to the bottom. This consists of shaving off all the rear and mid lip strakes and shaving off two of the strakes.
With this change alone your boat will pick up a few MPH even without the extension box and shortie.

My sugestion is to call Lavey and ask them about all of this and decide from there what it is exactly you would like to do.
Goodluck and be safe.
Wow...thanks for all the info! I'll give the shop a call.