New Drive Ideas

Notices

New Drive Ideas

Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Gents,
All great suggestions if it's a 700+ motor but unless he plans on upping the power from what he's running it is a lot of unnecessary money; even if at sea level.
The IMCO SC upper uses the same Merc XR gears however a better vertical shaft and is set up correctly. The SCX is a beast and is great for the big power guys but at a cost when it is required.
The only difference in the XZ and XR is the upper gear set. All else is equal so it would be a good candidate for the gear swap.
For you to be breaking drives and that mild hp level, I would have to think there is another gremlin in mix.
Dave
(PS, Quent/UD, CBLR is doing some extensive testing with blueprinted SCX lowers over on the Nordic section. You may be interested)
I really like Chris, (CBLR). He is an extremely thorough individual when it comes to testing and optimizing setups.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-09-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schweeng
I am just going to say this... the company you bought the boat form had no history with it... they cleaned it up and flipped it. I remember the boat -saw it for sale in Havasu for some time... Nothing bad but I'm guessing that is the first time it broke... Maybe telling you it had been rebuilt or replaced was just a used car salesmen assurance...
Just get an XR on it and you'll be fine... it will last longer then you'll own the boat.. just a guess...

Just don't want to see you waste money...

Good luck.
+1 I would not drop that kind of money on an IMCO unless I had to. With that engine and your altitude, you're fine with a XR. Give a shout out to Mr. Gadgets on the board and see if he has any for sale. I wouldn't hesitate buying a used drive from him.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Default x-dim of Lavey 29 NuEra

Still scouting new drives and was wondering....On a 29' Lavey NuEra single engine what would raising the x-dim by 2" or 4" do to the handling/performance.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZ
Still scouting new drives and was wondering....On a 29' Lavey NuEra single engine what would raising the x-dim by 2" or 4" do to the handling/performance.
Handling would not be lost in any way besides a bit more cavitation coming on plane.
You could gain 5mph+/- but may have to go a pith or two bigger on the prop.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Registered

Hey GAZ, I am also doing a ton of "cracking out" on drives right now. I decided to keep my B1x upper and go with a Imco -2 lower. Our boats are similar and if I was in your shoes, for longevity, I would go XR upper, -2 Imco lower with the upgraded vetical shaft. JMO. Also I got my new motor in, so you dont want to loose any top speed!!!! Just sayin.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

As others have said something else is wrong take their advice and put on another drive rather than rebuilding. The IMCO or BMAX or others you have mentioned are overkill and not needed. I am running 650+ HP through a untouched B1x with no issues to date with over 100 hours and 2 seasons on a 6000#+ single. It will be going off to Mr Gadgets this off season to be gone through for the first time to ensure I get 100+ hours of trouble free boating again.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"" I like to pull skiers, tubes, wakeboards, ect. So I want to be able to put full throttle out of the hole and not worry about breaking my drive. ""'

I think this mite be your problem . no bravo style drive like's hole shot's .

maybe a ski boat would be better for you ?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mikebrls
"" I like to pull skiers, tubes, wakeboards, ect. So I want to be able to put full throttle out of the hole and not worry about breaking my drive. ""'

I think this mite be your problem . no bravo style drive like's hole shot's .

maybe a ski boat would be better for you ?
Screw that!!!!!! Maybe mercury should build a drive that can handle there stock 500 efi ! Let alone other power they put there crap drives behind!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TROR
Hey GAZ, I am also doing a ton of "cracking out" on drives right now. I decided to keep my B1x upper and go with a Imco -2 lower. Our boats are similar and if I was in your shoes, for longevity, I would go XR upper, -2 Imco lower with the upgraded vetical shaft. JMO. Also I got my new motor in, so you dont want to loose any top speed!!!! Just sayin.
Not a chance I'm staying with a XR or Mercury anything! I think you are on borrowed time on the drive if you got a new motor! Still deciding on a SCX or Arneson.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Baja_man
As others have said something else is wrong take their advice and put on another drive rather than rebuilding. The IMCO or BMAX or others you have mentioned are overkill and not needed. I am running 650+ HP through a untouched B1x with no issues to date with over 100 hours and 2 seasons on a 6000#+ single. It will be going off to Mr Gadgets this off season to be gone through for the first time to ensure I get 100+ hours of trouble free boating again.

100 hours is definitely nothing to brag about in my opinion. 7k drive/100 = 70 hour= not good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.