Auto bilge pump not working >

Auto bilge pump not working

Notices

Auto bilge pump not working

Old 09-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto bilge pump not working

My 29 nu era's auto bilge pump is not working. There is no 12volts going to the auto switch. In stead of running a new wire to 12 volts, does any one know where the 12 volt source is coming from? It appears to go back to the dash but I have no idea where to look from there. I would not think the source is the bilge pump switch at the helm so does it go the the fuse panel? All the glass fuses look ok but maybe I missed one. Any help would be appreciated. Is Chris Jr. Monitoring this forum?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

If your switch at the dash is the 3 position type, (manual/off/auto ) then the switch should be wired with a constant 12v right behind it in the dash. If the switch turns the pump on when you switch it to manual or ON position and doesn't work in the Auto position then i would be looking at the switch itself or the connections behind it. If the switch shows that its working right, then you will need to trace the wires back to the float to see if you have good contacts everywhere. If you have power going all the way to the float the raise the float up by hand and see if turns the pump on. If not then its more then likely the float....if it does then there's nothing wrong.

If you only have a basic on/off switch at the dash then the auto feature will be wired direct to the battery from the bilge pump area and you will need to do some tracing from the pump back......i would start by checking to see if the float switch has one of the leads with a constant power to it....if it does then raise the float and see if it switches the power to the other wire....if not then its a bad float.....if no power then you need to check the power feed wire going to it...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Registered

The float switch and backup bilge works fine if I hard wire it to the battery. I will check to see of the wire traces back to the switch where there could be a constant 12 volts. May be some thing is wrong there.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Personally, I have my auto bilge side fused directly to my deep cycle. I feel that being automatic it should be failsafe and not dependent on me remembering to flip a switch.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Registered

I agree Chris, from Lavey thought maybe it was hardwired to a battery but it is not. I was thinking that maybe it is one of the hot leads on the battery switch but not there either. For some reason it is running in a split loom with a bunch of other wires going to the helm. It has to be under helm where all the gauges are. I wish I got a schematic of the wiring for this boat.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:50 AM
Registered

This should help...

Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Registered

Thank you, I think I will just run a new wire to the Perko battery switch.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by avbiro
Thank you, I think I will just run a new wire to the Perko battery switch.
I ran fused straight off the deep cycle. before battery switches etc. The whole idea of the automatic side is to save the boat when your not there to flip the switch. THerefore I want no switches for me to forget to turn on etc between the pump and power. Simply because that ONE time you forget to flip the switch......