Whipplizing a 525 for a 27.5 LaveyCraft NuEra

Notices

Whipplizing a 525 for a 27.5 LaveyCraft NuEra

Old 03-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Quent
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Power in 2750

Michael, I'm a little late to the dance for this thread but I don't check the boards as often as before. Too old. Putting 1000+ HP in a 2750, (I had that in mine), makes it even more of a driver's boat. The "new" bottom that Lavey has helped but as Bob Teague said, "chiney". I raced bass boats, time trials and drag race, so I understand the term. The 2750 is a relatively simple boat to drive in rough water. Not as simple in smoother water. I found a Maximus cut to 15" and short hub or a Bravo 1 to work well while just dragging tabs. Not for sissies OR daredevils. There is a learning curve. I would not hesitate to have Teague do the Whipple. No one is better that them. Understand that an IMCO SCx drive and SC lower will be needed as well. Look to spend some money. Enjoy the ride. Carefully. Best regards, Quent
Old 05-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I'm still hangin' around. You are correct with the statement about the speed and handling. I ran the boat up to 97 and it was still climbing but the patrol boat showed up so I had to back off. I know it would have hit 100 but it felt a little light at 97 and not being a pro I decided to back down. Probably a good thing the patrol came around the bend.
As for the engine, I put on AFR heads and a bigger blower. I had an imco shorty drive installed along with with a modified Hering prop. It took a little time to get on plane with the Hering but mid and top were awesome. I also had a tuned Imco 4 blade that I used for skiing and wake boarding, worked great.
After Brent Leach tuned the bottom the boat was fantastic. When it was stock it had a horrible porpoise and chine walk at 65-70. With a little work the boat is amazing. I hated to sell it but it was just being stored and not used so, best to walk away. I still miss it.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Tom,
It is still in good hands Hope you are well!
Hasn't been used much but am planning on hitting the water very soon. I fought an electrical gremlin for the last couple years that caused me to lose interest but after changing everything possibly electrical, it turned out to be a faulty Holley ECU. I have not been happy about that AT ALL but she is now ready to go.
You hit the nail on the head and have a good memory! In my limited testing she gets a little loose at about 94 and have had it to 97 with no tab but it gets a bit white knuckled. Spoke a little with Quent and he suggest dragging a bit of tab which I will carefully sneak up on. Should help!
My problem is that at 5800 rpm / 97mph, with the same Herring 31 five blade, I am at only 57% throttle (TPS). It was still making more power on the dyno at 6150 which is where I set the rev limiter. Thinking that dragging the tab I can pull another 300 rpm very easily but I question the need- doesn’t seem to be nearly as important anymore . I will either need to find a prop to replace the Herring or just put a bigger pulley on her to lower the boost from 8 to 5ish lbs and enjoy a 90+ mph boat. I would like it to plane better as it still takes full tab. Has anybody try anything in the 32-33” range that planes well with a 2” IMCO shorty?
Dave
Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave, those are some awesome numbers! I talked with Tom way back when about the boat's setup and applying some of that to my boat. I would agree that if the boat runs 97 now, theres not much else that's going to outrun you! In terms of props, you could try a Maximus, they usually have a ton of bite. They tend to run a little big, so a 30p may be all you need. Just curious, do you know how far below the keel the propshaft centerline is? I know lavey sets them up fairly aggressively, plus your 2" shorty may be a little high for planing ability, but great for top end.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Registered

Yes, I will check that when I get a chance. It must be pretty shallow; definitely not a water sports boat...
Maximus would be interesting. This Herring is really silky smooth and seems easy on the drive so far.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Hey Tom,
It is still in good hands Hope you are well!
Hasn't been used much but am planning on hitting the water very soon. I fought an electrical gremlin for the last couple years that caused me to lose interest but after changing everything possibly electrical, it turned out to be a faulty Holley ECU. I have not been happy about that AT ALL but she is now ready to go.
You hit the nail on the head and have a good memory! In my limited testing she gets a little loose at about 94 and have had it to 97 with no tab but it gets a bit white knuckled. Spoke a little with Quent and he suggest dragging a bit of tab which I will carefully sneak up on. Should help!
My problem is that at 5800 rpm / 97mph, with the same Herring 31 five blade, I am at only 57% throttle (TPS). It was still making more power on the dyno at 6150 which is where I set the rev limiter. Thinking that dragging the tab I can pull another 300 rpm very easily but I question the need- doesn’t seem to be nearly as important anymore . I will either need to find a prop to replace the Herring or just put a bigger pulley on her to lower the boost from 8 to 5ish lbs and enjoy a 90+ mph boat. I would like it to plane better as it still takes full tab. Has anybody try anything in the 32-33” range that planes well with a 2” IMCO shorty?
Dave

I would also suggest running a little bit of tab at the higher speeds. Doesn't have to be negative tab, but at least run them down to neutral level. That way they'll act as, for a lack of a better term, training wheels and help balance the boat side to side. With the way Lavey mounts the tabs horizontal instead of with the angle of the bottom of the boat, only the rear outside portions of the tabs will be hitting water so they aren't really creating a bunch of drag. I've always found it better to run the tabs at least neutral at high speeds on the 2750.

As for the question about running a 32-33 pitch with a 2" shorty. When I drove Quents boat on it's maiden voyage we ran a Maximus 33 and the boat had an Imco 2" shorty. The boat had zero issues getting on plane and the tabs were in the neutral position. His boat was also an open bow with 1000hp so that might have helped.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Sounds like the Maximus May be worth a shot for planing. How did act otherwise?
I can see where the open bow would help bring the nose down; power certainly not an issue though as I can barely throttle it when coming on plane.
The obvious option would be to re-gear to 1.35. This would be a must if the boat ever goes down to sea level. We are at 5000 feet here so that helps keep the power somewhat in check...
If that ever happened I would leave the driving to one of the Lavey boys as that would be well above my skill set...
Thanks for the tip on the prop!
Dave
Old 05-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lavey jr
I would also suggest running a little bit of tab at the higher speeds. Doesn't have to be negative tab, but at least run them down to neutral level. That way they'll act as, for a lack of a better term, training wheels and help balance the boat side to side. With the way Lavey mounts the tabs horizontal instead of with the angle of the bottom of the boat, only the rear outside portions of the tabs will be hitting water so they aren't really creating a bunch of drag. I've always found it better to run the tabs at least neutral at high speeds on the 2750.

As for the question about running a 32-33 pitch with a 2" shorty. When I drove Quents boat on it's maiden voyage we ran a Maximus 33 and the boat had an Imco 2" shorty. The boat had zero issues getting on plane and the tabs were in the neutral position. His boat was also an open bow with 1000hp so that might have helped.

Jr could put a solid 3 MPH on my best speed the first year I had my boat and before teaching me this. Punk. (me figuring it out watching him )

Id describe it as getting the boat in a tripod running config.

I only have the med length tabs so I haver to drop it a bit further than the guys running the longer tabs
I need to see at least 1-3-1/2 the gauge before I feel anything, but I pick up speed and stability doing it.

Compared with 10% of gauge movement in full tabbed rig making an instant and notable difference in the evo I drove with the.

I can outdrive him in the sebring though.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-27-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Registered

Dave, how long are your tabs?
I switched out the plates on my Flame with 380s and it was the best thing I ever did. It allowed me to utilize the power I built for it.
Same tripod analogy exactly.
It seems the ones on the 2750 are a bit shorter. Maybe 380s would be the ticket here.
Thanks

Last edited by Nordicflame; 05-27-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Dave, how long are your tabs?
I switched out the plates on my Flame with 380s and it was the best thing I ever did. It allowed me to utilize the power I built for it.
Same tripod analogy exactly.
It seems the ones on the 2750 are a bit shorter. Maybe 380s would be the ticket here.
Thanks
When I went to drive a 2750 to 90mph+ for my first time when I was only 13 years old, the tripod analogy is exactly what my dad told me and it's stuck with me ever since then. That boat's trim indicator was layed out with the each tab being on the outside (port/stbd) and the drive in the middle, just as you'd view it on the transom. That layout made it easier for my eyes to monitor as I was driving. I used the same settings when I drove the 28 EVO to 100mph and I use that same settings on all boat's I drive.

Dave's 2750 runs Merc 280 tabs that measure 19"
If you install Merc 380 tabs on a 2750 that does not have an extension box, you will run into problems... They are too long and when a certain combination of tab/drive settings is in place the prop will hit the tab while turing. The most common trim tab installed by Lavey on a 2750 is in fact the 380's but they cut them down about 6" to prevent the prop intersection. A full Merc 380 measures 30" so cutting it down to 24" will make that middle ground between a 280 and 380, another alternate is Eddie Marine or Livorsi tabs that already measure 24" out of the box.

As for the question about the handling on Quents boat with the Maximus. It handled very well all around mid range was excellent, while cruising in the 4000rpm range it was running 0 boost, but like any other 2750 in the 95mph+ range it was the typical 2750 drivers boat. We also ran a bravo1 4 blade on it and the handling at top speed was definitely loose, me personally if I was going to be running a 2750 over 90mph I would always run a 5 blade. Keep in mind Quents boat was also a 1.50 gear ratio running at sea level. I have driven a 2750 with a 1.36 gear ratio at around 850hp and it really killed all it's holeshot and acceleration even with small props, we immediately changed it back to a 1.50. Also, even the 28 EVO that had 1100hp Lavey still kept it at a 1.50 gear ratio and that boat is now running in the low 120mph range. The 2750 is really not the boat to run a 1.36 ratio.

Last edited by lavey jr; 05-28-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Gear ratio correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.