Whipplizing a 525 for a 27.5 LaveyCraft NuEra

Notices

Whipplizing a 525 for a 27.5 LaveyCraft NuEra

Old 01-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipplizing a 525 for a 27.5 LaveyCraft NuEra

I purchased a 2005 27.5 LaveyCraft a few years ago after selling my 26. Love both boats and only sold the 26 to go faster in the 27.5 because it has a 525. Last year I lost two cylinders to the dreaded
stainless header leak that the motors are prone too. My bad. Should have been more diligent. Anyway the motor was rebuilt good as new and has been broken in with no problems. During the rebuild process
I actually got to talk with Mr. Teague of Teague Marine. I asked his opinion of doing a whipple on the 525 and the boat it was in. He said be careful of what you wish for due to the tendency of the boat to chine walk.
"Chiney" was the term he used. I was wrote a reply on another OSO thread about the 525 upgrade. Eddie Young responded that in his opinion that it was one of the best power upgrades you can do to a 525.
My question to my fellow LaveyCraft fans is this a prudent upgrade for a 2005 27.5 that has not had any hull work done? I read where changes were made to the 27.5 steps to improve the boat stability at
higher speeds.
Michael
Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hotlavey here on the boards had a 2750 with a built up whipple 500efi that made around 800hp and it was a handful. He had the hull tweaked by Extreme Marine (not sure if they're even still in business) and he said he could drive it 90+ with his hands off the wheel after that. I believe that all occurred around 2006ish and Lavey then tweaked their mold to help settle down the boat. From what I understand, the 2006ish and later 2750s are a little slower than previous, but will handle better at higher speeds. I'm not sure if hotlavey comes on here anymore but you can try to message him and maybe he'll get an alert or something.

Otherwise talk to Chris about blueprinting your hull, they may be able to make some changes to settle it down to handle the power. The 2750 is a very fast boat and there have been many built with Teague 800s and 900s, Quent on here built one with a 1000+hp motor, so you're definitely not in uncharted territory.

Too bad you didn't think of the whipple upgrade while Teague had your motor apart, they could have turned it into one of their 825s with a warranty while reusing a lot of your parts. Heres a good read that John wrote up about how they install the whipple kits, its not as simple as just bolting it on like some shops will do, Teague makes sure its done right.
http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...The-Teague-Way
Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Registered

Michael,

First and foremost glad to hear you love your boats and the Lavey Craft brand!
Now to the rest of your post... Here is some honest history/information/facts about the 2750 NuEra.

Seeing your boat is a 2005, it more than likely has what is called the full bottom. What Teague has told you about the 2750 is true. When the boat was designed it was during the era of the 500/525/575's being looked at as big power and the bottom of the boat was designed around that factor. It was designed to run faster than any other boat in its class with moderate power, 496 MAG/HO - 575sci. To accomplish this, the bottom was designed with a good amount of natural lift. Then the times moved on and engines started to get bigger and the 525 became looked at as a some what base power. As I'm sure you've found out, the 2750 is what's known as a "drivers boat" meaning you can't just stab the throttle and drive it, the boat takes a bit of learning to find out what exactly it likes. So, once you get in the 700hp+ range and run 90mph+ the boat did in fact get a bit loose, definitely something that can be learned how to drive. I have personally driven a 2750 with the full bottom to 93mph and was able to control the boat without an issue.

In the year 2007 Lavey Craft began to test different bottom modifications on the 2750. They used two boats. One boat was their Super Vee Light race boat with a Merc 525 and the other boat was a fully loaded closed bow pleasure boat with a whipple charged Merc engine making around 800hp. In the end, both boats gained better handling and more speed. The bottom change wasn't a completely different bottom, but rather a modification where they removed some strakes to take away some lift in the bottom which in turn settled the boat down. Now, with the bottom now making less natural lift it's settled in the water more but actually did increase the speed due to the fact you don't have to use as much trim tab and the handling was easier so you can keep driving up to speed. In 2008 this bottom modification was made final and the mold was adjusted accordingly.

As for your question of is the whipple a good upgrade for the boat... I will be 100% honest with you. Me personally, I would do it. But I also know the 2750 like the back of my hand. The 2750 with the full bottom pushing 800hp+ will take some seat time to get used to. Don't let that scare you, because it is definitely something that you will be able to learn.
Another thing to mention... No matter what year your 2750 is, ALL of them can be upgraded and modified to the revised bottom. Lavey Craft has modified many 2750's for people seeking easier handling, putting more power in the boat, or all of the above. None of this information is a secret and if anyone called Lavey Craft they will tell you exactly the same thing.

I hope this helps and answered your questions. Feel free to contact me or you can always call the shop at 951-273-9690
Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Registered

I've owned a 04 with a 525...good boat in the lakes, great boat in the ocean.
I was very frustrated with driving this boat fast on flat or calm waters...way too much constant input for my liking. HOWEVER, disorganized water or some nice organized swell FUN times with little input.... Loved it.
I'd tell you to leave it alone....you'll start with the motor, then need to upgrade drive to the increased torque... new props to get every ounce of speed.....been down the road more then once and honestly....another 10-15mph increase is just not really worth it.
If you thing about it you really never drive the boat full speed all the time, not half the time......not 25% of the time (crowded water ways, young kids?, wrong water, all sorts of examples can be inserted here that are just part of boating)
So you do all this work....spend 8-15K depending and you go 15mph faster for 5 whole minutes the entire weekend your boating....nah spend it elsewhere.

I had a 29 with a 500efi and had Teague install a whipple on it. I think I got 9 or 10mph increase out of it...remember that after all the $ spent I was left feeling that wasn't a good return...

crap...just read this over.....I'm getting old...... it all made sense 15 yrs ago
Good luck whichever path you go.

Last edited by Schweeng; 01-13-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Great to see this kind of customer service.

Padraig
Old 01-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Registered

Great info Chris! That type of problem isn't uncommon in pretty much all brands and styles of boats. If you want a boat to be fast with stock/mild power, its probably going to have too much lift with big power/speeds. Hustler 388 are a perfect example, great boats with 525s, anything more than that needs the bottom tweaked to keep it planted. Its all hydrodynamics, and remember that lift is a product of the velocity squared, so its not a linear relationship, its exponential. Theres a give and take with everything, but the good thing for Michael is that there have been many people that have gone down that road and Lavey knows exactly how to set it up already.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I think that hits the head on the nail. Or something like that....
I like the idea of blueprinting and setting up the boat to handle a little better first. The boat is a MCOB, so it doesn't get to stretch its' legs that often. Peeps like to ride up front
all the time. Kids must like getting bugs in their teeth. Dammit I wish I could argue with Mr. Schweeng's logic and experience, but he's right. Now I just have to save up for that whipple.
Thanks to all for the info and taking the time. Happy BUP is building the 29. Good for you Chris. Beautiful boat.
Michael
Old 01-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mbjhachapi View Post
I think that hits the head on the nail. Or something like that....
I like the idea of blueprinting and setting up the boat to handle a little better first. The boat is a MCOB, so it doesn't get to stretch its' legs that often. Peeps like to ride up front
all the time. Kids must like getting bugs in their teeth. Dammit I wish I could argue with Mr. Schweeng's logic and experience, but he's right. Now I just have to save up for that whipple.
Thanks to all for the info and taking the time. Happy BUP is building the 29. Good for you Chris. Beautiful boat.
Michael
If you plan on keeping the boat for the long haul I would first save for the bottom mod. Then later down the road up the power and outdrive. At that point you will also have to upgrade your propeller which will more than likely be a 30 pitch Maximus or similar hydromotive p5x, or possibly 32 pitch bravo1. Just for reference, all 2750's with the bottom mod and whipple 525, or Teague 800, are running 95-100mph when setup for midrange/top end then when setup for pure all around boating they run low 90-95mph.

-Chris Jr.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:04 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I respect your opinion and agree Chris. I run a labbed 28 pitch now, which seems ok. I boat mostly at Lake Mead. Yep, the boat is a keeper. I'll give your place a call and get an idea of cost and time frame.
Michael
Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by mbjhachapi View Post
I purchased a 2005 27.5 LaveyCraft a few years ago after selling my 26. Love both boats and only sold the 26 to go faster in the 27.5 because it has a 525. Last year I lost two cylinders to the dreaded
stainless header leak that the motors are prone too. My bad. Should have been more diligent. Anyway the motor was rebuilt good as new and has been broken in with no problems. During the rebuild process
I actually got to talk with Mr. Teague of Teague Marine. I asked his opinion of doing a whipple on the 525 and the boat it was in. He said be careful of what you wish for due to the tendency of the boat to chine walk.
"Chiney" was the term he used. I was wrote a reply on another OSO thread about the 525 upgrade. Eddie Young responded that in his opinion that it was one of the best power upgrades you can do to a 525.
My question to my fellow LaveyCraft fans is this a prudent upgrade for a 2005 27.5 that has not had any hull work done? I read where changes were made to the 27.5 steps to improve the boat stability at
higher speeds.
Michael
Since the engine needs a rebuild anyways, now would be a perfect time to install a Whipple if you are interested in increasing the horsepower.

We can rebuild the engine at 4.500 (509 inches) with flat top pistons, swap to our 825 cam, and open up the chambers a bit to optimize the configuration for the supercharger. The 525 in stock form is a much better candidate for the Whipple than a 500. If you need to rebuild anyways, we can make it that much better and more reliable in the process. Stock with the Whipple is 780HP at 5700, our configuration is 850 plus HP at 6000, with no real additional costs in the rebuild, just a cam and different part selections.

I would trust Lavey to modify the bottom to handle the additional top speed. You need to factor the cost of that into the project. Installing over 800hp into the boat as is would be difficult to drive fast. I have been in them before modification and after.

Let us know what else you need.

John Teague

Last edited by teaguecustommarine; 02-14-2017 at 09:28 PM.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser