Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > LaveyCraft
Need a New Boat >

Need a New Boat

Need a New Boat

Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Registered

Default Need a New Boat

I had my mind and heart set on a Laveycraft 2750 MCOB or a 29 MCOB as a second choice. I have been watching them for years and am finally getting close to being in a position where I could afford to get one (50-60K range). I have seen many of them come up for sale over the years in that price range; however, they seem to have all dried up over the last 2 seasons. So I am coming to this community for an opinion on the next best choice. I currently have a 20ft Checkmate with a built 355 that has run a max of 72 mph (GPS), but it beats you to death in any thing other than flat water. I do not want to give up any speed (more would be even better), so at minimum would need a 496 HO in an efficient hull or better yet a 525 EFI or so. Really want to stay in the large single category. So options I am considering are Nordic Heat (I think this is my next choice though not crazy about the wide open mid cabin), Sunsation 288 (seems to be over priced and slow), Elimanators V-bottom, etc. I come on here instead of their respective forums to avoid the fan base that comes with every owners group. So in your opinion, if I can not find a Lavey, what would be you next choice for this type of boat?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Registered

Advantage boats might be worth a look , there are a few around me that seem to handle the washing machine pretty well
Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 PM
Registered

Checked out the Advantage Boats and they do have a few models that match what I am looking for. Hope I don't offend anyone, but their open bows models are not easy on the eyes. Also not too crazy about the layout of the throttle on at least one of the models I looked at. Anyone familiar with the Eliminator Eagles? They are sharp looking, but at least one of t he models I looked at had the driver on the left (seems unnatural to me), and the bilge areas look like standard mass production construction. Not familiar with their build procedures but looks the same as my Checkmate, Baja's, etc with the splatter paint, and rough chopper gun looking finish.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM
BUP
Registered

splatterd paint in the engine compartment is one way to hide a unfinished out cheap lay up.

I am not impressed with Eliminator builds 30 ft and under. V hulls. I do like their 380 and 43 models.

If you are looking at other builders for a MCOB on the westcoast besides Lavey Craft - look at Hallett, and Michigan builder Sunsation. Just IMO .

If you really want a Lavey Craft - they have a great price turn key 2017 / 2018 model on their 24 in which is over a 25 ft boat. The price is UNDER - 80 K - all brand new build including the trailer as well..

Last edited by BUP; 07-31-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie View Post
I had my mind and heart set on a Laveycraft 2750 MCOB or a 29 MCOB as a second choice. I have been watching them for years and am finally getting close to being in a position where I could afford to get one (50-60K range). I have seen many of them come up for sale over the years in that price range; however, they seem to have all dried up over the last 2 seasons. So I am coming to this community for an opinion on the next best choice. I currently have a 20ft Checkmate with a built 355 that has run a max of 72 mph (GPS), but it beats you to death in any thing other than flat water. I do not want to give up any speed (more would be even better), so at minimum would need a 496 HO in an efficient hull or better yet a 525 EFI or so. Really want to stay in the large single category. So options I am considering are Nordic Heat (I think this is my next choice though not crazy about the wide open mid cabin), Sunsation 288 (seems to be over priced and slow), Elimanators V-bottom, etc. I come on here instead of their respective forums to avoid the fan base that comes with every owners group. So in your opinion, if I can not find a Lavey, what would be you next choice for this type of boat?
Have you seen Dave's Shockwave?
http://bit.ly/2vh8ASo
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Registered

Why do you say the Sunsation is slow?

Nordic would be my choice in the mcob market but it will not run consistent 70s with just a 496.

I also like the Eliminators but there layout isn't near as nice when compared to the Nordic.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
Have you seen Dave's Shockwave?
http://bit.ly/2vh8ASo
Checked it out, but I really have no use for a cuddy cabin style boat. To hot around here for people to enjoy being stuck down in there and not enough room for people outside. That is why I want an open bow boat. With the boat I have now, I have had to leave people at the dock because it only seats 7. When you have kids and grandkids, the numbers add up quick.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 PM
Registered

I think you'd be surprised how cheap you can turn a closed bow into an open bow. Another guy from TX did it a few years ago with a hallett. And I'm not talking about taking a sawzall to it, I think Hallett did it so it was like factory.

Sounds like you you looked at a 28 Advantage with the center steering? I think those are odd too. But take a look at the 27 and the 30. The 27 is quite a bit roomier than the 2750 Lavey, but also slower.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Registered

the nordic should run 70's with the 496ho. i had a thread on RD looking for a lavey and had been in contact with a guy with a MCOB 2750 with a 525 that was in your price point no more then a month or two ago when i was looking. i think it was a 05 with a blue white and orange gel. great looking boat just to big for me once i got all my ducks in a row. if you like i can see if i can find his info and if its still for sale
Old 08-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LTZCrew View Post
the nordic should run 70's with the 496ho. i had a thread on RD looking for a lavey and had been in contact with a guy with a MCOB 2750 with a 525 that was in your price point no more then a month or two ago when i was looking. i think it was a 05 with a blue white and orange gel. great looking boat just to big for me once i got all my ducks in a row. if you like i can see if i can find his info and if its still for sale
If you have is info that would be great. I will clear my PM box so you can send it to me that way if you prefer.