Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magic
Auction Boat motors >

Auction Boat motors

Auction Boat motors

Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Default Auction Boat motors

We purchased one of the boats from the bank when Magic went under and like a lot of other people out there i have been searching for a engine package for our 28 Deckboat. I know that Mercury is a popular choice but i just wanted to pass along some info i found on a GM Marine engine package that looks like it might be worth looking at. Please take a look at the pictures and specs and see what you think.

There are a number of big race teams running these and they have logged a lot of time in the water with these motors over the last 1.5 years.

Please post your thoughts on this package. Since the 496 HO is not available much longer and the 525EFI is so expensive this seems like a great alternative.







Last edited by DougSAZ; 02-09-2010 at 03:30 PM.
DougSAZ is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 09:00 AM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lake George, NY
Posts: 348
Default

Originally Posted by DougSAZ View Post
We purchased one of the boats from the bank when Magic went under and like a lot of other people out there i have been searching for a engine package for our 28 Deckboat. I know that Mercury is a popular choice but i just wanted to pass along some info i found on a GM Marine engine package that looks like it might be worth looking at. Please take a look at the pictures and specs and see what you think.

There are a number of big race teams running these and they have logged a lot of time in the water with these motors over the last 1.5 years.

Please post your thoughts on this package. Since the 496 HO is not available much longer and the 525EFI is so expensive this seems like a great alternative.







Doug,
Did you wind up using this builder? If not who did you use or are you still looking?
I put an offer in on one of the Sceptors if I get it I will be looking to put something like this in. I was told at least 525hp to make it run good.
If you finished the boat do you mind telling me your final cost?
BRET is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM
  #3  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by BRET View Post
Doug,
Did you wind up using this builder? If not who did you use or are you still looking?
I put an offer in on one of the Sceptors if I get it I will be looking to put something like this in. I was told at least 525hp to make it run good.
If you finished the boat do you mind telling me your final cost?
I actually ended up with a Mercury 525EFI with 90 hours on it. A friend of mine got a line on it for me and i picked it up for under $15000.00

It is like brand new and i have not had any issues with it. We pulled a Smartcraft readout on it and it had barely ever been run over 3600rpm, it had 43 hours of below 1800 rpm on it and only 4 hours of 4000rpm plus. It came out of an Eliminator that was running twins and some older guy owned it and never ran it hard according to my buddy.

Good luck on your search.

Last edited by DougSAZ; 05-03-2010 at 09:42 AM.
DougSAZ is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lake George, NY
Posts: 348
Default

Originally Posted by DougSAZ View Post
I actually ended up with a Mercury 525EFI with 90 hours on it. A friend of mine got a line on it for me and i picked it up for under $15000.00

It is like brand new and i have not had any issues with it. We pulled a Smartcraft readout on it and it had barely ever been run over 3600rpm, it had 43 hours of below 1800 rpm on it and only 4 hours of 4000rpm plus. It came out of an Eliminator that was running twins and some older guy owned it and never ran it hard according to my buddy.

Good luck on your search.
Hoe does it run with the 525. If you don't mind me asking how much all in with drive and accessories?
Does it handle well?
I just bought mine and it's getting shipped on the 15th.
Are the boats good quality?
What should I pay attention to?
Are the stringers pre drilled for the motor mounts?

Thanks,

Bret
BRET is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
  #5  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by BRET View Post
Hoe does it run with the 525. If you don't mind me asking how much all in with drive and accessories?
Does it handle well?
I just bought mine and it's getting shipped on the 15th.
Are the boats good quality?
What should I pay attention to?
Are the stringers pre drilled for the motor mounts?

Thanks,

Bret
About $54k
Handles very nicely but i also put Dana tabs on mine, it plains very fast.
The quality on the ones released and sold first was pretty good. Some of the ones i have seen lately coming from LBYS have been a bit scary. Even Magic decided not to buy back the remaining units due to to much weathering and damage and or missing parts.
Stingers are not pre-drilled. Your rigging guy will determine the location depending on mounts and engine choice.

Good Luck with your build and i hope your boat is one of the good ones.
DougSAZ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser