Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Magnum Marine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine-63/)
-   -   Areo Marine ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine/150221-areo-marine.html)

24degrees 03-03-2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Russ G (Post 2045746)
Hey if I do get the Lancer can I join your Magnum club at least as a towel boy. LOL I'm getting a lot of interest on my boat thats for sale in the swap shop on this site. When that sells I will most likley pick that Lancer up. If there are any Magnum sport projects out there for sale let me know.

Not calling the blue Magnum in the classifieds that located in Toms River a project but I do have my eye on that one if a go for something that is more complete and ready to run. Any one know any info or history of that boat.

Russ

I think you should get a Magnum that is fairly complete but needs a few things......I think you're always money ahead buying a boat that's near done.

Have you looked at the Brokerage on the Magnum Marine site?

There are a few others there. http://www.magnummarine.com/brokerage/brokerage_fr.html

Russ G 03-03-2007 06:33 PM

Yes I did thanks. The blue magnum in New Jersey is on that site also.

ViciousOne 03-05-2007 10:29 PM

The black Klem copy , My buddy Burr Head owned that boat and sold it when I sold him the Black 33' Express cat IRISH MIST that was a good running mag copy and it was well put together.

I have a old sport in need of resto sitting behind the shop if anybody is intrested but they need to look at it. Small block blower motors and volvos it was called TURBO TWISTER.
Another project I probably wont get around too!!:rolleyes:
I also have all the Aero / Predator molds Outcast1 and I are recreating the 27' with alot of bottom mods and a Old school looking deck with a tall fairing looks similar to the one that we put on the 39' Conquest Cat we are restoring that is a cool boat also with a pair of V12 Lambo's.:cool:

Spark

24degrees 03-05-2007 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ViciousOne (Post 2047942)
The black Klem copy , My buddy Burr Head owned that boat and sold it when I sold him the Black 33' Express cat IRISH MIST that was a good running mag copy and it was well put together.

I have a old sport in need of resto sitting behind the shop if anybody is intrested but they need to look at it. Small block blower motors and volvos it was called TURBO TWISTER.
I also have all the Aero / Predator molds Outcast1 and I are recreating the 27' with alot of bottom mods and a Old school looking deck with a tall fairing looks similar to the one that we put on the 39' Conquest Cat we are restoring that is a cool boat also with a pair of V12 Lambo's.:cool:

Spark

Feel like posting photos of that project Sport?

ViciousOne 03-06-2007 07:53 AM

I will post some pic's it is burried right now so I dont know how good of pic's I can get.

Spark

h2oboater 03-06-2007 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 24degrees (Post 2045694)
I thought the pic on the right was a Magnum but it looks like it might be "Mariah".....seems to have the same wood hatch, Stern-Powr drives, rear seat, and tilted front lifeline.

Oh well......my list of Sports is diminishing.

24deg do you know were the Mariah is now ?????

h2oboater 03-06-2007 10:30 AM

Spark

If you guy's build them,, they won't have all the problems that the clem jem's had,his rigging was bad back then. Are you thinking of racing one of your 27' any time soon ????

ViciousOne 03-06-2007 03:11 PM

There will be one running in the OPA this season.

Spark

nocigarette 03-06-2007 03:41 PM

cool........I came to your shop once trying to scare up parts for mine........cant wait to see one race........

24degrees 03-06-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2048355)
24deg do you know were the Mariah is now ?????

No I don't know where it is.......but I pulled that photo off of OSO somewhere?......I'll try to find the thread.

Russ G 03-06-2007 05:15 PM

Spark

[/I]

If the Magnum sport project boat if for sale. I might be interested. Can you give more details?

Thanks
Russ

h2oboater 03-06-2007 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ViciousOne (Post 2048155)
I will post some pic's it is burried right now so I dont know how good of pic's I can get.

Spark

What color is Turbo Twister, was it ever yellow ???

24degrees 03-07-2007 01:56 AM

H20boater......here's the thread with "Mariah"......it was on Speedwake.com

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/show...m&pagenumber=1

Looks like it was in Michigan as of '04?

Russ G 03-07-2007 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by offshore ginger (Post 2049007)
Russ G You Are A Guy , Who Wants To Own A Mag , Put Never Will ! I Guess Call It Cheap ! I Turn You On To The Deal Of The Century , A 27 Areo With 500 Hp B.B . With Stern Power Drives , That Are Like No, 6 's And A Trailer , Turn Key , Bolsters , Orginal Gell , 12 K , O.b.O You CAll The Man ABOUT THE BOAT , PUT NEVER RETURN HIS CALL'S . I GUESS WE CAN SAY THAT YOU ARE JUST A MAG WANNABEE . G .G .

LOL your wrong! Guess what I'm still interested just send some pictures then we can talk some more. Thats the great thing about the intenet it wont even cost you anything. Thanks for you time.

Russ

ViciousOne 03-07-2007 08:54 AM

h20boater, Dont know what color it was originaly it is fadded blue now, about 15 years ago it was Bod Shovans mag he has died about 5 years ago and I picked it up from robin that used to work for wayne bell at anchor bay marina.
I used to have a red,white and blue striped 1981 Starfire with three manstand up, triple tanks cut out floor, chiken bars and mod 370's with dry crusader manifolds and trs's.
I bought it from a guy named Phil Mebus in 88, It was sitting in a well at Miller marina I left a bussiness card on it a couple of times and purchased it a little later.
I sold it to Kip Plegan he killed it ! He sold it to my buddy Ron Tyvert at shoreline steel it got a pair of 750 Crockett motors and never made it back in the water and was sold to someone in seattle wa.
I will dig up some pic's and post them.

Spark

h2oboater 03-07-2007 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousOne (Post 2049582)
h20boater, Dont know what color it was originaly it is fadded blue now, about 15 years ago it was Bod Shovans mag he has died about 5 years ago and I picked it up from robin that used to work for wayne bell at anchor bay marina.
I used to have a red,white and blue striped 1981 Starfire with three manstand up, triple tanks cut out floor, chiken bars and mod 370's with dry crusader manifolds and trs's.
I bought it from a guy named Phil Mebus in 88, It was sitting in a well at Miller marina I left a bussiness card on it a couple of times and purchased it a little later.
I sold it to Kip Plegan he killed it ! He sold it to my buddy Ron Tyvert at shoreline steel it got a pair of 750 Crockett motors and never made it back in the water and was sold to someone in seattle wa.
I will dig up some pic's and post them.

Spark

Thanks ,,sounds like it was the Mag that was on the black river by metro beach about 1982. That Mag sure got around, there were only a handfull of Starfire's on Lake St Clair. That would make a interesting project.

h2oboater 03-07-2007 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 24degrees (Post 2049413)
H20boater......here's the thread with "Mariah"......it was on Speedwake.com

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/show...m&pagenumber=1

Looks like it was in Michigan as of '04?

Thank's ,, they all thought it was a Mag, I know now were the pic was taken, it still might be around here. If you read through that thread they talk about Jim Clem and all problems about him,, he never changed !!!!!

ViciousOne 03-07-2007 10:11 AM

I used to keep my starfire at my parents house of the black river I grew up on lakeville dr. across the canal from Larry Vandemeede another old racer. our you talking about the blue mag that sat at the Enmark tool house of the black creek and the the 38' Kaama " 10 " sat there on the hoist for a few years . A friend of mine has the old 10 Kaama now.

h2oboater 03-07-2007 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousOne (Post 2049665)
I used to keep my starfire at my parents house of the black river I grew up on lakeville dr. across the canal from Larry Vandemeede another old racer. our you talking about the blue mag that sat at the Enmark tool house of the black creek and the the 38' Kaama " 10 " sat there on the hoist for a few years . A friend of mine has the old 10 Kaama now.

Yes was that it,, or was there another blue Starfire ????
Doc Larry was a character back then with his Executioner and Cougar cat.

ViciousOne 03-07-2007 10:57 AM

I bought the Executioner and the Couger off him I sold him a couple of Donzi's him and I swaped stuff off all the time.
He is the one that persuaded me to chase my deam and jump from automotive to marine. I'll have to look him up have not talked to him in years.

ygrowup 03-07-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousOne (Post 2049722)
I bought the Executioner and the Couger off him I sold him a couple of Donzi's him and I swaped stuff off all the time.
He is the one that persuaded me to chase my deam and jump from automotive to marine. I'll have to look him up have not talked to him in years.

What became of the Executioner & Cougar?....was just talking about them both the other day with a guy who ran those things back in the day with Doc Larry.

ViciousOne 03-07-2007 11:33 AM

Sold the executioner to my buddy Bloch head ,I had painted it all white he put some purple on it pulled the turbo's off put on some huffers and it ran 94 on a hand held he barrel rolled it in front of the old club about 5 years ago the bow is behind his garage and thats all thats left it was pretty used up when I got it fom larry.
I sold the couger to a guy on here in maryland and he sold it too I talked to him at the opa division championships last season.

24degrees 03-07-2007 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the Starfire you had?

ViciousOne 03-07-2007 04:11 PM

Thats is my old boat !!! I have a similar picture from magnum with the same guy running it but it is 6' in the air.

Thanks
Spark

27 MAGNUM 03-07-2007 05:07 PM

Hi 24 you have a picture of every boat, can you find mine?

24degrees 03-07-2007 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 27 MAGNUM (Post 2050092)
Hi 24 you have a picture of every boat, can you find mine?

Are you talking about an old pic before you bought it?

27 MAGNUM 03-07-2007 07:04 PM

Yes, the one from St Clair thread, I hope someone might remember this Mag. because of the extensive work on the stand up faring. It was professional job probably done in Florida. No signs of race decals, I think it was fit out to race, but never got finished? She spent her life in Florida before Buffalo, it never got splashed up here, the Florida reg. numbers are still there.

dammmagnum 03-09-2007 12:57 PM

Hello Spark

Was that the first Starfire built? if not it was one of the very first ones,, saw one like it in a rack storage marina in Miami Many many yrs ago? Same colors and strips
Thank you
Jim

h2oboater 03-10-2007 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sleepy_pirate (Post 2035591)
I got this 24 predator from a guy who used to race her before the company went out of business. it was originally twin outboards but was re-rigged beautifully with a 454mag and a #3 drive. the motor was built pretty stout but dropped a valve and KABOOM!. A stock 330hp motor was put installed in front of the #3 and I bought everything. the boat, #3 drive, stock 330hp, and an almost complete 468 with aluminum heads. got a good deal on the whole kit. the boat went 68mph on gps on the test drive before I bought it. I changed the pistons and rods of the new motor and added a 177 blower. im hopingfor 80mph out of her once its done.
I have a ton of old literature from predator and Aero as well. contact me if your interested and I will do what I can to get you guys who want one a copy.

I just realized I knew your boat, a few years back it would always go out the salt river by my house and come back many times in tow, the motor would give him fits. the last time I saw it go out it ran great must have been the the 330 motor.
If you go back to the old motor dont over build it,its more fun to be on the lake than in the bilge !!!!

ViciousOne 03-10-2007 09:13 PM

offshore ginger, I know Bob, and that was my old Starfire at that time I had sold it to Kip Plegan of Plegan Dreg & Dock and then he sold it to my buddy Ron Tyvert of Shoreline steel then it was sold to a guy in Seattle Wa. and it did have 370 merc's with a little work.

Spark

h2oboater 03-27-2007 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found my old Aero catalog this was the Magnum copy, with two deck options.

ViciousOne 03-27-2007 01:15 PM

The blue Kwixotic Aero was for sale in algonac a couple of years ago twin big blocks and sternpower speedies.

Russ G 03-27-2007 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2072274)
Found my old Aero catalog this was the Magnum copy, with two deck options.

Thanks for the pictures of the Aero H2oboater. I think my boat is sold tomorrow! I should be ready to pull the trigger this weekend on the Areo if I cant find a Magnum project that works for me in the mean time.

24degrees 03-27-2007 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Russ G (Post 2073034)
Thanks for the pictures of the Aero H2oboater. I think my boat is sold tomorrow! I should be ready to pull the trigger this weekend on the Areo if I cant find a Magnum project that works for me in the mean time.

Did you see the Magnum 27 Sport project on Ebay and in the OSO classifieds?

Russ G 03-28-2007 06:06 AM

Yes I did. Great looking boat. Talked to the owner a few times, very nice guy. With his asking price and no engines or drives its just to much project for my pocket.

Russ

Smarty 03-29-2007 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Russ G (Post 2073034)

I am from Pitman, my father(Magnum owner of 19 years) and I stopped to look at the Aero in Deptford. When I moved that tiller arm the whole transom moved/flexed without much effort. I didn't crawl around in the engine compartment to determine what the condition (rot) of the transom. I don't think what it would cost to improve/bring that boat up to speed would be worth it. Find a Magnum, do it right, if you can. The Stern Power outdrive was a good unit in the 70's but why worry SSP parts in 2007, and the drive was way too deep. Comestically it needs rub-rail, some glass work, ect. I don't think there will be a market for it when you go to sell it.

This is just my opinion, on a two minute walk around, not a complete go-through. $$$ will drive your decision, it is a hell of a project with no real appreciation in value when it is all said and done. Then again, I have no idea of the asking price for the Aero. But to do it right you would spend far more that what you would get back at re-sale time, and the bottom-line IT AIN'T NO MAGNUM. The 27' Magnum posted (post #234 in the Lake St. Clair thread) without power (the white boat) and Bravo's would be a great project if it fits your budget. Just my $.02, good luck in whatever you decide.

h2oboater 03-29-2007 06:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stern power drives are still made here's the place to find them.

24degrees 03-29-2007 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 2075198)
I am from Pitman, my father(Magnum owner of 19 years) and I stopped to look at the Aero in Deptford. When I moved that tiller arm the whole transom moved/flexed without much effort. I didn't crawl around in the engine compartment to determine what the condition (rot) of the transom. I don't think what it would cost to improve/bring that boat up to speed would be worth it. Find a Magnum, do it right, if you can. The Stern Power outdrive was a good unit in the 70's but why worry SSP parts in 2007, and the drive was way too deep. Comestically it needs rub-rail, some glass work, ect. I don't think there will be a market for it when you go to sell it.

This is just my opinion, on a two minute walk around, not a complete go-through. $$$ will drive your decision, it is a hell of a project with no real appreciation in value when it is all said and done. Then again, I have no idea of the asking price for the Aero. But to do it right you would spend far more that what you would get back at re-sale time, and the bottom-line IT AIN'T NO MAGNUM. The 27' Magnum posted (post #234 in the Lake St. Clair thread) without power (the white boat) and Bravo's would be a great project if it fits your budget. Just my $.02, good luck in whatever you decide.

I agree......you'll be better off buying a Mag......

Gettin' sick of hearin' that yet?......:)

ViciousOne 03-29-2007 08:40 PM

When I was still working at Express we built a 28' single cat for Bob Mace ( JTM Performance ) He had some big power in front of that red stern power BX drive in H2O's pic and it was really a good looking peice.

If somebody wanted a couple 700 Ilmor's in one of my cats I would not have a problem putting a pair on the transom.

Smarty 03-29-2007 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2075251)
Stern power drives are still made here's the place to find them.

I would not buy a boat in 2007 with that SSP drive on the transom, that's just me. I am a MerCruiser guy (Volvo 270/280's have their niche under 400 hp). A dealer/boat lot that is three miles down the road from where that Aero boat sits is selling Bravo's dirt cheap. Who would work on that Stern Power here in NJ if it needed work (the labor would be more than what the drive is worth)? Who could actually make it work right, and cost being an issue (repair/parts/resale). On a separate issue that drive is mounted way too deep on that boat.

I remember Roger Munn's boat and the drives, but Roger knows (and knew then) how to build stuff and make it work, that was a Volvo conversion to handle the BBC horsepower/torque. This Aero boat does not have a horspower issue by the looks of that motor and exhaust in the earlier post. Hey, the drive may work great, and may not need a thing, but if it did fail, WTF. I think $1500 to $2000 is what that boat is worth, on the high side as it sits in its present condition. Not worth the aggravation.