Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Magnum Marine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine-63/)
-   -   Areo Marine ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine/150221-areo-marine.html)

Russ G 01-28-2007 03:48 PM

Aero Marine ??

I just checked out a boat that I thought was a 27 Magnum sport but it has a logo that said Aero Marine. It looks just like a 27 ft sport to me. Its a project for sure, although its all there. It has one big block (old school with log type exhaust) and a weird looking drive with trans.? Not sure of the drive. Maybe a old volvo. Owner said it runs well but I think I would just repower. Whats the story, is it worth fixing up if this is the type of boat I want. Is it built as good and does it run as well as the magnum?

Thanks
Russ

First Gun 01-28-2007 09:47 PM

Re: Areo Marine ??

do not know about areo marine history but if you are looking for a 27 Magnum I have one that will be on the market soon!

northernoffshore 01-28-2007 09:50 PM

I think it was built in michigan. I have seen a 28 cig copy with that name from there. That was powered by big blocks and two right arnesons surface drives. The cig copy was built preety good, but not a cig. jay.

Russ G 01-28-2007 10:43 PM

It does have michigan boat reg. numbers.

h2oboater 01-29-2007 08:04 AM

Areo marine, Lancer marine, Predator, and yes Awesome, and more!! were boat companies in Michigan,, by the same guy, the 27' vee bottom's were a copy off the Magnum [Double Vision] now owned by nocigarette. Most of the 24'&27' vee bottom boats Jim built were single engine with STERNPOWER IO's.

Lee 01-29-2007 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2008483)
Areo marine, Lancer marine, Predator, and yes Awesome, and more!! were boat companies in Michigan,, by the same guy, the 27' vee bottom's were a copy off the Magnum [Double Vision] now owned by nocigarette. Most of the 24'&27' vee bottom boats Jim built were single engine with STERNPOWER IO's.

Mark O.?

h2oboater 01-29-2007 08:44 AM

LEE how did you know?????? I have lots of time on my hands now! cant boat for now,, so at lest I can talk about them?

Lee 01-29-2007 09:36 AM

Local guy + Masters Degree in Offshore Racing History + 38' Scarab
I don't know jusy a lucky guess LOL
How's it going neighbor?

h2oboater 01-29-2007 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2008566)
Local guy + Masters Degree in Offshore Racing History + 38' Scarab
I don't know jusy a lucky guess LOL
How's it going neighbor?

Great just watching all the fisherman on the ice way to cold out,, had a nother back surgry since the last time we talked so Im down for RR. I need to get a scanner so I can post some of the pics I have taken over the last 35 years, thats my next project.

Stormrider 01-29-2007 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 27magnum (Post 2008304)
do not know about areo marine history but if you are looking for a 27 Magnum I have one that will be on the market soon!

Can u post some pics???

dammmagnum 01-29-2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by 27magnum (Post 2008304)

Hello 27Magnum
Can you tell me a little more about your 27 Sport that will be up for sale soon?

Thank you

Jim

h2oboater 01-29-2007 01:25 PM

Re: Aero Marine ??

Originally Posted by Russ G (Post 2007979)
I just checked out a boat that I thought was a 27 Magnum sport but it has a logo that said Aero Marine. It looks just like a 27 ft sport to me. Its a project for sure, although its all there. It has one big block (old school with log type exhaust) and a weird looking drive with trans.? Not sure of the drive. Maybe a old volvo. Owner said it runs well but I think I would just repower. Whats the story, is it worth fixing up if this is the type of boat I want. Is it built as good and does it run as well as the magnum?

Thanks
Russ

The Stern Power drive's were a updated version of the old Dana drive found on house boats in the late 60's. The drives are quite strong and the trans is a Velvet Drive72c by B W.
They are still made, and go by Stern Powr BX series now.
The glass work in the boats was not that bad , and if you rigged it youself you had a Magnum copy for half the price. But I must say it still wasnt a Magnum, I had both!

nocigarette 01-29-2007 02:44 PM

hello h20 good to see ya posting.......If ya want i will buy ya a scanner and drive up there and give it to ya,,..lol talk to ya soon

24degrees 01-29-2007 03:43 PM

Were the decks on the Aero the same as the Magnum or just the hull?

h2oboater 01-29-2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 24degrees (Post 2008985)
Were the decks on the Aero the same as the Magnum or just the hull?

The decks were the same only difference no skid were the wood insert was, also they did not have the chrome intake vents on the side,, just holes or screens.

h2oboater 01-29-2007 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by nocigarette (Post 2008907)
hello h20 good to see ya posting.......If ya want i will buy ya a scanner and drive up there and give it to ya,,..lol talk to ya soon

Its on my list just had to make up my mind on witch one & price.

dammmagnum 01-29-2007 04:18 PM

Re: Aero Marine ??

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2008817)
The Stern Power drive's were a updated version of the old Dana drive found on house boats in the late 60's. The drives are quite strong and the trans is a Velvet Drive72c by B W.
They are still made, and go by Stern Powr BX series now.
The glass work in the boats was not that bad , and if you rigged it youself you had a Magnum copy for half the price. But I must say it still wasnt a Magnum, I had both!

Hello H2boater,
Roger Munn ran the Speedo version of the Stern Power units with big blocks Chevys on his old 27 Magnum Sport(Jolly Roger) for years and it was one of the fasterst Magnum Sports around,, would run in the 80s in the 1970s.. They held up and I don't remember him ever having a drive problem.
Thank you

Jim

Russ G 01-29-2007 05:51 PM

Thanks guys. What do you think a 27 areo would be worth as a project? They say it runs well (454) Drive and trans ok. all there but weathered. Looks like a few spots on the bottom need a little attention. No bottom paint. sides and deck look clean, top faded. Interior is all there and maybe ok for one season but worn. ( I would update it with a modern sit down set up, gauges and throttle set up, etc.) Windshield is all there. Dont know about the fuel tank, transome( looks ok and original ) and stringers. On a trailer that looks ok but older.

Problem is I see projects done and not the boat for what it is. I Would do the body work and paint my self. (Painted cars most of my life.) I'm pretty good at finding good deals on used parts. And I have a great interior guy. I would build it for me not for resale but I dont want a boat that has no value at all. So what do you think? I would like a Magnum just to say I have one. But I really want to do a custom updated version anyway and really like the idea of one engine.

What kind of speed can you get out of a single big block with this boat?

Thanks
Russ

h2oboater 01-29-2007 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Russ G (Post 2009113)
Thanks guys. What do you think a 27 areo would be worth as a project? They say it runs well (454) Drive and trans ok. all there but weathered. Looks like a few spots on the bottom need a little attention. No bottom paint. sides and deck look clean, top faded. Interior is all there and maybe ok for one season but worn. ( I would update it with a modern sit down set up, gauges and throttle set up, etc.) Windshield is all there. Dont know about the fuel tank, transome( looks ok and original ) and stringers. On a trailer that looks ok but older.

Problem is I see projects done and not the boat for what it is. I Would do the body work and paint my self. (Painted cars most of my life.) I'm pretty good at finding good deals on used parts. And I have a great interior guy. I would build it for me not for resale but I dont want a boat that has no value at all. So what do you think? I would like a Magnum just to say I have one. But I really want to do a custom updated version anyway and really like the idea of one engine.

What kind of speed can you get out of a single big block with this boat?

Thanks
Russ

Stern Power made 3 different lower units if you have one with a bullet nose it may help but with that power about 55mph or if you had a big Tyler Crocket engine like the Magnum [Grumpy old Men] had,, 75mph might happen.
But a clean Areo with your power 10 to 15K in this market.

First Gun 01-29-2007 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New paint,wiring,gauges,drive train,fuel tanks and the list goes on and on

dammmagnum 01-30-2007 12:35 PM

Hello 27Magnum,

Thank you. Looks like a super looking Sport.
What kind of power does it have and what equipement does it come with ?
Also where are you located?
Thank you
you can PM if you like
Thank You
Jim

nocigarette 01-30-2007 06:35 PM

as far as a value like h20 said....Speed is another issue it al depends on how the boat was laid up how light and how strong with a mild blower motor and the rite x dem.. that boat could run 80 all day long in really nasty water......If it is built close to a mag post some pics so we can see her.............

Lee 01-31-2007 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2008663)
Great just watching all the fisherman on the ice way to cold out,, had a nother back surgry since the last time we talked so Im down for RR. I need to get a scanner so I can post some of the pics I have taken over the last 35 years, thats my next project.

Hope you have a quick recovery Mark, If you need anything let me know. Stop by when your up to it, we're usually out back everynight tinkering with something.

h2oboater 01-31-2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2010974)
Hope you have a quick recovery Mark, If you need anything let me know. Stop by when your up to it, we're usually out back everynight tinkering with something.

Thanks Lee!! do you have a new project boat????

h2oboater 01-31-2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by nocigarette (Post 2010448)
as far as a value like h20 said....Speed is another issue it al depends on how the boat was laid up how light and how strong with a mild blower motor and the rite x dem.. that boat could run 80 all day long in really nasty water......If it is built close to a mag post some pics so we can see her.............

The Areo 27' were the first boats built completely by this manufacture, their was alot to learn on glass lay up. The boats were built in a old Pickle canning plant nort of Detroit, lots of resin, ok by the standards, speed & Hp of the day.
Magnums like Grumpy's ,Short Circuit, & yours nocig are capable of Racing & running 80mph speeds still today. To run a Areo today would take a lot of rework, all it takes is $$$$$$$. One item about SternPower drives they are easy to raise the X dem, just a round hole in the transom, easy fix.

Lee 01-31-2007 06:11 PM

Hi Mark, Wasn't the first Mag copy in the Klym Gem series the "Lancer" ???
Project? I am a project....well at least a magnet for them...LOL

h2oboater 01-31-2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2011523)
Hi Mark, Wasn't the first Mag copy in the Klym Gem series the "Lancer" ???
Project? I am a project....well at least a magnet for them...LOL

Right on Lee the early boats were Lancer's ,then Marine Dynamics & Areo all with the same logo. Some of his early 24' & 31' boats were Chettahs,, made in California with the Lancer name & logo. Jim had the best prices and if you bought a blank,, rigged it yourself not a bad Magnum copy.

Lee 01-31-2007 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2011734)
Right on Lee the early boats were Lancer's ,then Marine Dynamics & Areo all with the same logo. Some of his early 24' & 31' boats were Chettahs,, made in California with the Lancer name & logo. Jim had the best prices and if you bought a blank,, rigged it yourself not a bad Magnum copy.

Mark, I'm happy to see you decided to post on OSO, there are not very many people with such an extensive knowledge on boats and offshore racing as yourself, and it is a real asset to have you here. Now we just have to see about getting
Red (The Apostle of Speed) Crain on here too.
I was just telling somebody about our wonderful plane ride back from Osh Kosh, WI the other day:mad: :drink: :drink:

h2oboater 01-31-2007 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 2011821)
Mark, I'm happy to see you decided to post on OSO, there are not very many people with such an extensive knowledge on boats and offshore racing as yourself, and it is a real asset to have you here. Now we just have to see about getting
Red (The Apostle of Speed) Crain on here too.
I was just telling somebody about our wonderful plane ride back from Osh Kosh, WI the other day:mad: :drink: :drink:

Lee [ What happen's in Osh Kosh stay's in Osh Kosh]
Thanks Mark

Russ G 02-11-2007 02:50 PM

aero marine of lancer marine pictures

OK guys here are some pictures of the boat I was asking about. What do you think?

Thanks
Russ

Russ G 02-11-2007 02:55 PM

pics.

A few more shots

h2oboater 02-11-2007 03:19 PM

Russ ,,look's like you have a Lancer that's a later one that's good,, the power trime is a factory unit,,the early one's had home made chevy motor mount's for the transome bracket. Replace the tiller arm steering,, and the drive is a Stearn power SP,, not bad. The rest is up to you, how much you want to clean up and modernize. Mark

mr vinyl 02-11-2007 03:31 PM

New Graphics

Can real improve the graphics on the boat without spending a ton of money...go to my web site www.boatwrapz.com and see what we can do and then give me a call. Have a 74,75.76 in restroation. Bud

Russ G 02-11-2007 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2023248)
Russ ,,look's like you have a Lancer that's a later one that's good,, the power trime is a factory unit,,the early one's had home made chevy motor mount's for the transome bracket. Replace the tiller arm steering,, and the drive is a Stearn power SP,, not bad. The rest is up to you, how much you want to clean up and modernize. Mark

Thanks for all the info Mark. I did not buy it yet. I love the lines of the boat and the fact that it is a single engine. I want to customize it. I really just wanted to see if was worth sinking some money into and if it would ride as good as a Magnum. I am aware that it is cheaper to buy a restored one than do the work myself. But I like to do the work myself and do a little at a time. I'm a low buck guy. LOL.

Russ

Russ G 02-11-2007 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by mr vinyl (Post 2023268)
Can real improve the graphics on the boat without spending a ton of money...go to my web site www.boatwrapz.com and see what we can do and then give me a call. Have a 74,75.76 in restroation. Bud

You do great work Bud. Your stuff look very trick! But my best skill is painting. I was a auto painter for 18 years or so. So I can redo the finish for the price of paint. Thanks for offer.

Russ

baja292islander 02-11-2007 05:30 PM

Buy a mag you wont be sorry, Jim sold some real junk in his day. I know I had a so called new boat it was about half new and half out of a junk yard. He cashed the check and forgot who I was one hour later.

nocigarette 02-11-2007 06:25 PM

it all depends on how cheap you can get it .............If it as anything like the real deal buy it...........Post some better pics of the engine bay, ya know how the stringers are laid out and how thick..... interior pics of the stringers.......Where are the fuel tanks etc......This will give us a better idea how close and how well it was built to a mag...........Good luck thank god your a painter that will save you a lot of money..............If ya need any pics of anything on mine let me know....I have a single set up mag..............

mr vinyl 02-11-2007 06:42 PM

Based on what is on the market $8-10,000 might be ok...would not pay any more.I picked a 74 mag just the hull with lots of extra parts no engine for $1,500. Bud

Russ G 02-11-2007 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mr vinyl (Post 2023474)
Based on what is on the market $8-10,000 might be ok...would not pay any more.I picked a 74 mag just the hull with lots of extra parts no engine for $1,500. Bud

Wow where did you find that deal??? I give you $2,500 if its a sport! LOL!

h2oboater 02-12-2007 02:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are two of the best examples of Jim's Clem's boat's, both were rigged by their owner's. The black one Mariah,, I helped out on, back then [1979] you had to make all your custom bracket's, the details on this boat would still stand up to today's standards. Little Miss Dangerous raced by Dan H,, had a great racing heritage, later I beleive became Mr Zip.