what props are you running /volvos

Notices

what props are you running /volvos

Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what props are you running /volvos

Hi All,

I have a magnum sport with twin 350 flv chris crafts, rated @320 hp a side, right now I have 17" pitch merc old style stainless 3 blade cleavers pressed into 17 spline volvo hubs. Drives are volvo 280 uppers, 290 lowers, no trim just the 3 position pins. I am only seeing about 56 mph, I think there is some more in the boat and was wondering what to try... without breaking the bank doing it. I see that I can get 19" and 21" big ear round style props ( alluminum ) cheap enough to make it worth giving it a shot , do you think I would see any improvement in speed ? Maybre solas, I hear they have new stainless round ear props for the volvos. Handling is good with the cleavers, a little slow in hookng up when starting from idle but the mid range acceleration is awesome, I just think it could go faster.

I can live with it the way it is, it is a blast to run just wondering if there is something I am missing to sneak out some more mph...tachs read about 5300 rpm wot, I think this is very close to the rated rpm for these motors.

This boat is the lime green one on some of the posts in this forum.

Thanks...
Paul
Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sweet boat.......did you move to TX?

I run 21 pitch Mirages on my Bravos.......320 EFI Mercruisers and it turns about 5400rpm........66-67mph on gps.

Can you post some good pics of your wood deck inlay?.....or e-mail them?.....is it real wood or some sort of plastic laminate?

Thanks much......

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails what props  are you running /volvos-dsc00033.jpg  
Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Registered

I moved to texas but did not bring the boat right away, back in NY for the summer and will bring it when I go back. I did not use it last year at all as I was building a house and moving...man I forgot how these boats ride.

Thank for you prop info, I am leaning towards the 21" pitch experiment, I dont think i'll see your speeds because of the stubbier volvos I have. I would be happy to get 60-62 with just a prop change. I want to check the toe in/out as well, do you have numbers on your setup regarding that?

I'll take and post some pics of the inlay tomorrow, it is a nice looking laminate of some kind, zero maintenance and aways looks good. Nice too because it does not get real slippery when wet, when anchoring etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:03 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

24d, anymore pics, i don't think i've seen that one.
You have the V windshield, like vixen.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Registered

I'm running 23p mirage's, turn 5000-5100 rpm's, 70-71mph on gps.
I would like to try some 21p cleavers (my understanding is thats what was ran back in the day) and see if the rpm's jump closer to 5200-5400 and see if theres another 2-3 mph's hidden in there...
Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

73Magnum,I had a 1972 Donzi 22ft with the same eng drive set up and it would run 55 but it went right at 8000 lb.I used a pair of Michigan 14 an half 21 3blade stainless.They worked great compared to alum.I still have the props and would sell them cheaper than 2 new alum.If interested E mail me,their just like the day i got them,never hit the first thing with them.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
24d, anymore pics, i don't think i've seen that one.
You have the V windshield, like vixen.

That's 73 Magnum's boat.....I was just posting it.......'cuz it's sweet!

Here's mine.....just in case you guys weren't sick of it yet.
Attached Thumbnails what props  are you running /volvos-donz_1.jpg  
Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ahhhh... the green one is very different.
your's is just a plain old sport. LOL JK.
kinda like a plain old shaved hoo haa!
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Registered

24 degrees, here are my inlay shots as promised, I'll email to you as well. Took a few snaps of the boat on the trailer as well.

Mag27 I would love to take those off your hands, I cant find your email , do you mind posting it? You can email me at [email protected] as well. Will they fit long shafts? I should see a little more than what I am now if my boat is probably more like 6500 vs 8000lb

Hmmm, I guess I cant post attachments, any one know why? Maybe 24degrees can post the pics for me if you will.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Registered

Mag 27,

I just measured my drives, I am running the props outwards, and my dirves are toed out almost 5/8" inch. I shoud be toe IN about a 1/8" if I am spinning outwards from what I have gathered...although there seems to be a lot of opinions! Do you have any advice for me on this? I willing to try some adjustments plus props to get a little more performance that is in her somehwere

Much Thanks
Paul

Quick Reply: what props are you running /volvos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.