Standing while driving a 27' sport

Notices

Standing while driving a 27' sport

Old 06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
were the floors lower on the race boats... seem deeper.
My Magnum & Spirit all had the floor cut like DAMMMAGNUM said, 8" made a difference..
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalstone
As someone on OS said a few years back..... "he sticks out like a boner in sweatpants!"
Too funny!

Originally Posted by Smarty
I will try to post some pictures of the Hairy Canary's floor, it had floor cut-outs, which I loved. I could sit in the seat, or drop out the bottom seat, to make it a bolster when I was racing (or my father was racing), or wanted to stand when planing the boat.

I am in a sit down boat now, and I was used to/conditioned to drive that 27' Magnum with those floor-cut-outs, I prefer boating that way with the floor cut-outs, you can stand and sit lower, eat less wind (in theory, not in reality).

My father was standing in this picture.

Stephen
Stephen,
Thanks for the picture and confirmation of the lower standing floor concept. I am obviously not the first one to think of it. Bill

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Hello Bill
I cut out the floor on my 27 Sport and then glassed in wood boxes that I made, I glassed the outside of the boxes and dropped the floor about 8 inches, I had a drop down bolster setup also. Used 3/4 marine plywood. The cut outs were only in the front of the cockpit where the seats would normally be, a little less then 2 feet long. The rest of the floor was kept at the standard height.
Thank you
Jim
Jim,
Did you cut down the center keel stringer or have two separate dropped areas? If you left the center keel, how much width did you leave in the standard height floor between the lowered sections? Any pictures?

Originally Posted by h2oboater
My Magnum & Spirit all had the floor cut like DAMMMAGNUM said, 8" made a difference..
I am sort of relieved to think that what I thought was a little radical turned out to be common practice. Yes, the 8.25" I will drop makes a huge difference as far as I can tell from standing there without even a dash console. Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by daredevil
I would make 2 sep drop ereas !!!!
With a neet hose atached so the water drains to the bilge.
Also u can use plasticore 5/8.....plenty strong,rot free and very light.

And loose the preshure treeded plywood that u have in there.

OIL and RESIN don't like each other ,,it will still rot to.
use marine ply and cut strips if u need the thicknes,,and glass over them.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry
Thanks for the input. Yes, I plan to make the two separate drop down areas or else I would have to cut down the center keel stringer. I have had very good success with glassing over 3/4" plywood. I think many people have had probems with treated woods since they don't let them dry out totally before glassing them. I used Divinycell when I recored the deck, and I will be using it when I design and build the engine cover which was "lost" somewhere between Wisconsin and Illinois when the seller met me in Missouri (I am from Texas). Right now, I am trying to configure the cockpit before moving to the engine compartment area. I will be running a single engine in this one. At least the transom was already replaced by the seller (he paid to have it done), but he dropped the project.
Does anyone here have some pictures of their dropped standing areas - preferably with hinged regular height floor doors or possibly removeable plates? I am still a little uncertain of how I want to address the regular floor. While sitting, would it be better to have the floor or possibly toeplates ahead of the driver/passenger? Bill
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daredevil
And loose the preshure treeded plywood that u have in there.

Sorry
I agree, but spell it different, TREATED

just todays spelling lesson
Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Conquistador
Too funny!

Stephen,
Thanks for the picture and confirmation of the lower standing floor concept. I am obviously not the first one to think of it. Bill

Jim,
Did you cut down the center keel stringer or have two separate dropped areas? If you left the center keel, how much width did you leave in the standard height floor between the lowered sections? Any pictures?

I am sort of relieved to think that what I thought was a little radical turned out to be common practice. Yes, the 8.25" I will drop makes a huge difference as far as I can tell from standing there without even a dash console. Thanks
Bill,
At first, i was going to do two boxes and leave the center stringer, but then I didn't like the idea of some one straddling the stringer and decided to make one larger box and
I cut the center stringer down and then glassed two pcs of plywood in both sides the stringer and placed the box in the opening and glassed it in. The box sat between the two side stringers and on top of the reinforced center stringer.
I kept the flooring opening covers that came with the boat and just cut them down to the size of the new openings. it was set up for 3 person.
Back then Roger Munn on the Jolly Roger Sport dropped his floor but it was set up as a 2 person boat and he had two boxes glassed in the floor and kept the center stringer intacted. I believe that Roger's drop boxes were pretty much the the size of some to stand in and had lot of the floor area remaining between the boxes.
Roger is on this site and am sure he can add a lot more to it.
Trying to remember back over 30 years ago
Hope this helps
Thank you
Jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 06-16-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Bill,
At first, i was going to do two boxes and leave the center stringer, but then I didn't like the idea of some one straddling the stringer and decided to make one larger box and
I cut the center stringer down and then glassed two pcs of plywood in both sides the stringer and placed the box in the opening and glassed it in. The box sat between the two side stringers and on top of the reinforced center stringer.
I kept the flooring opening covers that came with the boat and just cut them down to the size of the new openings. it was set up for 3 person.
Back then Roger Munn on the Jolly Roger Sport dropped his floor but it was set up as a 2 person boat and he had two boxes glassed in the floor and kept the center stringer intacted. I believe that Roger's drop boxes were pretty much the the size of some to stand in and had lot of the floor area remaining between the boxes.
Roger is on this site and am sure he can add a lot more to it.
Trying to remember back over 30 years ago
Hope this helps
Thank you
Jim
Jim,
Thanks again for the input. I think you could add enough strength to the center stringer by sistering like you did, but I am inclined to make two drop down areas instead of one larger standing sub-floor. I will never be racing mine offshore, but I want to keep the hull integrity while making this modification. I am still hoping someone can show some pictures of what they did. I am a long way from completion, but I wanted to get this part of the restoration behind me since it might influence other aspects. Thanks again, Bill