Engine mounts / stringer spacing

Notices

Engine mounts / stringer spacing

Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mag27
Bill,no matter what drive you use you need external steering to be on the safe side in a high performance boat.When things go wrong at 60mph an up peaple get hurt real fast so with ext.steering its just one less thing to worry about.The only thing we did right was the engine stringer set up,with everything we put Vixen thrue thats the one thing thats as solid today as when i built it in 2000.Also any good ext.system should be fine.I went with hyd.helm,no power. Mel
Originally Posted by Mag27
Bill,go back to page 15 an read 77 starfire freshening,a great thread to read if your working on a Mag. This boat is the same Mag that Jeff man 1000 is working on.
Thanks for the advice on the steering. I read that entire thread, but I did not run across anything about engine mounts. I went ahead today, and bought the same type as you used. I will have to get some angles for mounting it to the stringers. Hopefully, the 9" stingers that I made will be tall enough for the mount - now I can set the stringers in at a 33" or so spacing since the mounts are 32" wide. Thanks again, Bill
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,the reason i set the stringers at 33 was to allow room for the 2x2 inch angles.when you slide the mount inbetween you should have a sixteenth on each side to play with.The other thing is if you make your stringers 10 inches you can box it in on top by laying a piece of ply from the new stringer to the side of the eng.compartment an it gives you a nice flat floor to work from,and adds a lot of strength to the stringer. Mel

Last edited by Mag27; 08-05-2009 at 09:39 AM.