Mag Engine hatch

Notices

Mag Engine hatch

Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Mag Engine hatch

Anybody got good shots of a sport engine hatch with the low lid?......Mine ('76 sport) is missing and I want to fabricate one. Not sure, but I think there were a few different types offered back then. my power will be mild Sb's w/B1's so the low lid type should do..........I also posted this pic of Aron's sport on the Donzi site. (Hope U don't mind Aron) The low lid is something I hope to replicate. More pictures with different angles of these engine hatches would be appreciated................Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Mag Engine hatch-magnum-hatch.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scippy,

Mine is even lower than Aaron's, it's completely flush with no raised portion. I will be running 2 SBC with Edelbrock Air Gap manifolds and I have raised my engines and drives 2" and am not anticipating any clearance issues.

Mario L.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was custom made for the 320 EFI Bravos....they barely clear. I eventually covered it with tuck and roll to look like the flat "Volvo" hatch....

:cuqui:
Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Are you talking about the rear hatch like the one that was on my old 1976 mag sport.

If so, i have a ton of pic's close up all the way around the hatch if its the one your wanting

Let me know and ill post for you

Len
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lens mag marine
Hey Are you talking about the rear hatch like the one that was on my old 1976 mag sport.

If so, i have a ton of pic's close up all the way around the hatch if its the one your wanting

Let me know and ill post for you

Len
Len,

By all means, I would certainly love to see the varied picture angles you have ........My '76 sport hatch is MIA.........You can also e-mail me @ [email protected]
.........................Thanks

Mario,

I don't believe I'll pass your engine height (reg. aspirated SB's w/B1's) so a flush engine hatch is doable.....I believe your's (hatch) is the "factory" Volvo Mag sport appearance . "low slung"
Old 02-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 24degrees
Mine was custom made for the 320 EFI Bravos....they barely clear. I eventually covered it with tuck and roll to look like the flat "Volvo" hatch....

:cuqui:
Aaron,

Thanks for all the help.........In regards to the hatch lock, do you maintain the same factory one with your raised lid?..........I would suspect this a rare piece of hardware. Are there 2 of them...........and do they have a magnum "logo" embossed on them?................Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scippy,

What drives will you use on your mag? Len's old boat was a trs so it has the bump in the aft of the hatch for the old exaust elbow. The older volvo mags had a flatter hatch because the drives were mounted lower but I had a friend w/ a 69' sport and he had to cut scoops in to accomodate taller flame arrestors and taller intakes from stock. The flat hatch would also limit your exaust options if you had a raised X-Dim. I'm shoe -horning my engines w/ smalll blowers and my hatch must be 8 or 9" higher.(and my stainless marine exaust has about about 2" of clearence. Aarons mpi's are the only eng I've seen with bravos and a basically flush hatch.

Marshall
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MDonziM
Scippy,

What drives will you use on your mag? Len's old boat was a trs so it has the bump in the aft of the hatch for the old exaust elbow. The older volvo mags had a flatter hatch because the drives were mounted lower but I had a friend w/ a 69' sport and he had to cut scoops in to accomodate taller flame arrestors and taller intakes from stock. The flat hatch would also limit your exaust options if you had a raised X-Dim. I'm shoe -horning my engines w/ smalll blowers and my hatch must be 8 or 9" higher.(and my stainless marine exaust has about about 2" of clearence. Aarons mpi's are the only eng I've seen with bravos and a basically flush hatch.

Marshall
Marshall...you need a taller hatch?!...I thought those Starfires had plenty of room?...there is one running around with roots type blowers...stock hatch. Maybe the Bravos need to come up a lot??
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 24degrees
Marshall...you need a taller hatch?!...I thought those Starfires had plenty of room?...there is one running around with roots type blowers...stock hatch. Maybe the Bravos need to come up a lot??
Aaron,

I already raised my hatch 2" by taking out the inset for the cushion. My hatch is now flush with the eng. faring. With my TRS's I had maby 2" of clearence with a 3" flame arrestor. The B&M blower setup is supposed to add roughly 2" to my setup. But, the TRS is almost 3" longer from drive shaft to propshaft than the Bravo, so, if I can raise my X 2" and lower my eng/drive shaft 1" I'm netting out the same in hatch clearence. My Mag was built in 78'-79' and they notched the rubrail when mounting the drives so they already raised the X as much as possible from the factory which is 1"-2" more than most others I have seen.

It'l be close, but should make it.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
Aaron,

Thanks for all the help.........In regards to the hatch lock, do you maintain the same factory one with your raised lid?..........I would suspect this a rare piece of hardware. Are there 2 of them...........and do they have a magnum "logo" embossed on them?................Thanks
Scippy...I don't have latches anymore....just the electric ram that opens and closes....works fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.