Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!

Notices

Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Jim,

What kind of engine hatch was on Plum Crazy?....it's hard to tell from your avatar. Anyway, I just got done fabricating a "flat" engine hatch & also installed a flush lifting handle by Perko. As far as the floor goes.... 7" was removed from the center stringer which eliminates the side stringers alltogether for maximun space............Parnell has devised a pretty good structual plan.
Pete

PM your e-mail and I will send you some photos of Plum Crazy when I raced it with the scoops that i added.
In the Avatar,, it was when I first pickedup the Sport in FL and it had the flat stock hatch cover, but then i added scoops to the hatch when i raced it.
at one time back then , I think that Feddy Lapointe
had made a mold for a Cigarette type racing hatch for a Magnum Sport. I never did see any hatch covers that he made from the mold, just the mold.

Thank you
Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I like the look of the TRS hatch on the sport. Anaconda & Kemosabe John's 27 both have it. also the best colors in my opinnion....Tangarine & yellow respectively..........Mark, is there any further info on ironhead process to lower Anaconda floor. How many inches?.......full cockpit?
Ironhead sent me these pic's to post of the floor lowering.
Attached Thumbnails Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-r-k-magnum-project-043.jpg   Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-r-k-magnum-project-044.jpg   Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-r-k-magnum-project-025.jpg  

Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-r-k-magnum-project-031.jpg   Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-r-k-magnum-project-038.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Pete

PM your e-mail and I will send you some photos of Plum Crazy when I raced it with the scoops that i added.
In the Avatar,, it was when I first pickedup the Sport in FL and it had the flat stock hatch cover, but then i added scoops to the hatch when i raced it.
at one time back then , I think that Feddy Lapointe
had made a mold for a Cigarette type racing hatch for a Magnum Sport. I never did see any hatch covers that he made from the mold, just the mold.

Thank you
Jim
PM sent ......................Thanks Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Ironhead sent me these pic's to post of the floor lowering.
Mark,

Those are swell pictures.............I can relate to that first phase of a thorough restoraton.......from the center stringer up.........I might as well remove the rear bench seat. to tie the floor in wouldf be better served to have them out..........further more, it seems impossible to get 2 engines in with the bench installed.......................
Thanks Mark & Ironhead
Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered

PM sent ......................Thanks Jim

Pete,

Done,, let me know that you got them okay

Thank you
Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered

Mark,

Those are swell pictures.............I can relate to that first phase of a thorough restoraton.......from the center stringer up.........I might as well remove the rear bench seat. to tie the floor in wouldf be better served to have them out..........further more, it seems impossible to get 2 engines in with the bench installed.......................
Thanks Mark & Ironhead
Pete,

I removed and reinstalled both my engines several times with the back seat installed in the orignal location.
Easier with Volvo drives am sure over Mercs.
It can be done.

Thank you
Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Pete,

I removed and reinstalled both my engines several times with the back seat installed in the orignal location.
Easier with Volvo drives am sure over Mercs.
It can be done.

Thank you
Jim
Also very simple with Bravo 1 drives in place of TRS. Less space required and of course less weight.

KALAAZAR
Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those floor pictures will be very helpful, beautiful boat by the way!! With the volvo drives in mine the motors were a breeze to get out, I just cocked them sideways a bit and they came right out without pulling the rear bench.

Shortly after the motors were out I decided that if I have gone this far then I might as well do it right and strip the rest of the floor and rear seat to get it out of my way while I modify the stringers and make any necessary repairs. I am glad I decided to pull the rear bench because it was all cracked up and the bulkhead behind it was cracked and broken in a few spots, the previous owner covered the damage with a sheet of thin gauge aluminum. We got the sides of the hull all blocked out and super straight, I am going to grab some 3/4 marine grade plywood this weekend and get to work on the floor, I will get some more pics as I move along.
Attached Thumbnails Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-img_0680.jpg   Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-img_0682.jpg   Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-img_0685.jpg  

Magnum Sport Restoration Begins!-img_0654.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Mark,

Thanks Mark & Ironhead
My sports back seat top half is hinged, when I pull the engines will see if it's easier.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear seat on the starfire is piano hinged the entire length of the front of the seat so the seat bottom and back fold foward making engine access really nice. Something to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.