Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
Restoration Progress 74 Maltese >

Restoration Progress 74 Maltese

Notices

Restoration Progress 74 Maltese

Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The red gel looks really great and I love the double boot stripe from that time too.

Thanks for the offer on the nav light, sitting on the box it looked like you just bought it.

- Marshall
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gel

Mark,

Appreciate the positive comments, you are the expert. You were there seen all these great boats in their heyday!, just trying to do them justice, glad you like it. Yes, There was paint on the boat before this gelcoat was applied. We took it down quite a bit, you could actually see the original gelcoat through what was left of the paint. We did not strip the paint though, just sanded the hell out of it. Still working on reproducing the instrument panel and will keep you posted on my progress.

Hope this info helps.

Jeff

Reunion this year? How about the weekend before Dream cruise. We come back every year for that and what a week that would be Mag reunion, and Dream cruise!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

[Reunion this year? How about the weekend before Dream cruise. We come back every year for that and what a week that would be Mag reunion, and Dream cruise! ]

Jeff havent given the reunion much thought yet. I will have to see if Brownies On The lake @ Emerald City will be available this year ?? I will start working on the reunion soon & see it we can make happen this year..
Mark
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Mag Reunion

Mark,

Be happy to help in anyway we can. That's our home town, and
I think my dad may have lived at the old Brownies for a short time because every time me and my friends went there he was there with his friends! We kept our boat at Belle Maer Harbor right down the row from Rags for years. Would love to get back out on Lake St. Clair.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Step Plates

Guys, struggling with restoration on these side step plates. I think they were originally Bright Anodized finish with the teak inserts. Has anyone re-plated these? Mine are pitted and i would like to polish to remove the pits and then re-finish. Should I go chrome or bright dip anodized? Any advice appreciate. Anybody else done this and what finish did you use , chrome or bright dip?

Also, never, ever, never use Nu-Chrome out of Massachusetts for your restoration work. They will take forever and rip you off. We just filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau in regard to their wqork and business practices.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Restoration Progress 74 Maltese-step-pads-001.jpg   Restoration Progress 74 Maltese-step-pads-002.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JPrusinows
Guys, struggling with restoration on these side step plates. I think they were originally Bright Anodized finish with the teak inserts. Has anyone re-plated these? Mine are pitted and i would like to polish to remove the pits and then re-finish. Should I go chrome or bright dip anodized? Any advice appreciate. Anybody else done this and what finish did you use , chrome or bright dip?

Also, never, ever, never use Nu-Chrome out of Massachusetts for your restoration work. They will take forever and rip you off. We just filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau in regard to their wqork and business practices.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

Jeff have you seen the Bertram Baron project here on OSO, He striped his anodized alum & clear coated it.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...project-4.html {post 112}
I used Al's polishing in Toledo OH for all my Mag's chrome, all is good. http://www.alspolishing.com/
I'm working on a date for the reunion, looks like mid July. I will have more on that soon. Mark
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Nice work looks AWESOME!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jeff

Yes I had my tread plates stripped re-polished and bright Acid Anodized. We then fitted new Teak rungs and they now look close to new which is not bad for 42 years old Aluminium parts.

Ian
Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the input. Kalazzar do you have any photos available, also who did the polish and bright dip for you?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 152 Likes on 78 Posts

Jeff,

I just sent mine off (step plates) to Al's polishing in OH. for the best possible shine. They were very worn a pitted......Will post pictures when I receive them back.

Ian,

Where did you get the new "teak" inserts for the step plates?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.