1978 27' Magnum Starfire

Notices

1978 27' Magnum Starfire

Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ullrich,
You have a beautiful boat there and an absolute credit to you for keeping it in such great condition.
I am at present rebuilding and restoring a 1971 27 Sport and getting very close to the new upholstery stage.
I have been trying to decide whether or not to stay with the original Red and White candy stripe or change to a tasteful but more modern look. Given that your is such an original boat can you please tell me what was the original upholstery style ? and what may I ask decided you to change it to the present look which is more along the style which I am considering.
Many thanks
Kalaazar
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
Ullrich,
You have a beautiful boat there and an absolute credit to you for keeping it in such great condition.
I am at present rebuilding and restoring a 1971 27 Sport and getting very close to the new upholstery stage.
I have been trying to decide whether or not to stay with the original Red and White candy stripe or change to a tasteful but more modern look. Given that your is such an original boat can you please tell me what was the original upholstery style ? and what may I ask decided you to change it to the present look which is more along the style which I am considering.
Many thanks
Kalaazar
Kalaazar, it is nice to hear you are restoring a 27 Sport. Do you have pictures? In 1971, Magnum offered anything you wanted in an interior as it was a custom boat. Many came with the candy stripe and also you could order them with solid upholstery with a secondary color for pipping. Magnum has always been a custom boat, built to the customers specifications. You could change things, even in the late 60s. Many boats came with candy stripped interior but many with solid color interiors at well.

When I ordered mine in '78 it originally had an all red interior in it, with two white stripes, one on each side going down the back cushion into the rear seat and a single white stripe through the red upholstered bucket seats. Even back in 1978, when Theodoli took over Magnum Marine, one could order a leather interior in the boat. The reason I went with a solid interior was because I thought it would be more stately and clean looking to match the lines of the boat. But whether you are considering one of the original candy stripe designs, or a solid color, as long you use a high grade marine vinyl or leather material, it should look great. Make sure to use a high quality foam inside.

Would love to see pictures of the project, sounds very interesting.

Good luck with your project, I wish you the best!

Last edited by Ullrich; 12-09-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Where do you usually run it? I have seen a magnum at Sunset Bay. I go anywhere from Sunset to Grand Island. I would love to see that boat in person.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

We have a cottage in Angola, what color was the one at Sunset? Usually bring it up to Grandview bay but do make it down to Sunset as well.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

The one at sunset appeared to be more of a daycruiser by looking, but I was parked kinda far away. Funny you have a place in Angola. I grew up there.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ullrich,
Thank you for both your kind respose togerther with the information. In my ignorence I thought All 27`s and Starfires had Candy Stripe upholstery of one colour combination or another and I was concerned that to use solid colour in it`s place may devalue the heritage.
If you would like to see the picture of my project to-date please see my postings on the Magnum Marine section headed "SideWinder" detail 11/4/`12 and 11/10/`12
Keep polishing that Starfire.

Kalaazar
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My old sedan lives a few boathouses down from the Starfire. There is not a cleaner boat, new or old around.
I feel shame. But then I'm not the original owner. I love watching the Starfire go out. It's like the ultimate 16/18/22 Donzi.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

there is a small block red and white twin 27 on grand island on the east river across from smithboys

the other one is all white starfire with 600's in it from wilson. we boat on the upper river and lake erie once in a while
Attached Thumbnails 1978 27' Magnum Starfire-kevs-phone-332.jpg   1978 27' Magnum Starfire-kevs-phone-333.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ullrich,

Thats an awesome Magnum and a really great story being the original owner. When I looked at the first few pictures I knew I had seen a picture of the boat before and was getting ready to post it but its the second to last picture in your gallery. Magnum sent me that pic when I was looking for x dimension data. I have not seen another sit down Starfire, I'm guessing yours was one of the first made, or did you order it that way? Curious what the HIN # is ?
I bought my Starfire a few years ago that lived outside Toronto for 27 years, maybe you crossed paths?

- Marshall
Attached Thumbnails 1978 27' Magnum Starfire-magday1-001.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kalaazar
Ullrich,
Thank you for both your kind respose togerther with the information. In my ignorence I thought All 27`s and Starfires had Candy Stripe upholstery of one colour combination or another and I was concerned that to use solid colour in it`s place may devalue the heritage.
If you would like to see the picture of my project to-date please see my postings on the Magnum Marine section headed "SideWinder" detail 11/4/`12 and 11/10/`12
Keep polishing that Starfire.

Kalaazar
Beautiful job on your restoration. It's nice to know there are people around who still have an interest in Magnums. Most people don't remember the history of a Magnum 27. Your teakwood triangle and floor are beautifully done! Did you spray your boat with gelcoat or epoxy? It looks great. I think your boat would look beautiful with candy stripe or solid color interior. Best of luck to you, I would love to see the boat when it is finished. Where are you located?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.