Replacement fuel tanks 27 Sport

Notices

Replacement fuel tanks 27 Sport

Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement fuel tanks 27 Sport

Friends,

I want to replace my fuel tanks, while I'm lowering my cockpit floor . . I'll stay with the stock design, two tanks under the cabin floor . . looking for a manufacturer that has made these before as so many of you have done this job . .

Thanks!
Mario
Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tanks in my sedan were replaced in 1995 with ones made by SP Sheetmetal out of NJ. They are still in business and quoted me 500$ a tank for new ones. They still look good after almost 20 years.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=Mario L.;4188391]Friends,

I want to replace my fuel tanks, while I'm lowering my cockpit floor . . I'll stay with the stock design, two tanks under the cabin floor . . looking for a manufacturer that has made these before as so many of you have done this job . .

Thanks!

Mario,, Greg [drake22.250] replaced his tanks, here is the link. This company made the tank that's in my Donzi Doral. Mark http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/m...project-2.html
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

Thank you guys!

I'll contact each of these companies and get quotes . . as my boat is not close to me and my tanks are still installed, does anyone have the dimensions so that I can pre-order . . assuming all 27 Sports are the same

Mario
Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mario here is the web site for Kehrig Manufacturing, they made Greg's tanks & most likely have the dimensions on file. The Kehrig family knows Magnums, ironhead who has Anaconda thats his uncles company.
http://www.kehrigmetalfab.com/
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Florida marine tanks made my 65 gallon tank for my 24-7 pantera.
Roughly 650 bucks.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

MARIO......Marshall turned me on to this place http://www.alloymetalworks.com/4752.html I had 2 x 65 gal tanks built in 2010 for $800...speak to Phil
Tell him Scippy the fireman sent you!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 256 Likes on 111 Posts

Kehrig made all 4 of my tanks for my sport. Had them before so I am going to put them back in. Don't remember the prices for the tanks, but you get what you pay for. They made some nice tanks for me.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

A year later and I finally pulled my tanks. What a PIA if I might say so.

The tanks are aluminum and appear to have no leaks. Recently I removed the forward deck vents / scoops, and my cover allowed rain to enter the cabin through these holes. Big mistake as the water all soaked into the foam around the tanks. I needed to do this before cold weather as my boat is stored outdoors and it gets freezing cold here.
Here's what I found . .
Both tanks were coated with something black prior to installation, and this coating separated from the aluminum. I cut all the way around the tanks with a long coarse sawzall, and dug out as much of the foam as possible. Then I drilled a hole in the forward bulkhead ahead of the tanks at a pint where a pry bar would allow me to raise the tank. Prying on the edge of the tank you could hear the foam and black coating separate from the aluminum. The first tan took me 4-5 hours to pull, I did the second in 3 hours.
As my tanks are clean on the inside I will pressure test both and then refinish with contemporary epoxy and treat the aluminum with an etch prior to the epoxy coating. Then I'll reinstall, but instead of 2 -3" above the floor, they sit 3/4 off the floor. This will allow me to lower the cabin floor close to 2" by only trimming the top edge of the center stringer. With my lower cockpit floor I'll also change my cabin door opening, 3" up and 2" down. Im also considering to alter the top of the dash area, my boat has a Vee windshield and I should easily be able to make the cabin entry like that on a Cigarette 28.

Here's a few pics . . leave it that at 60 years old I'm getting a bit to old for this kind of work!

Mario L.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546943[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]546944[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]546945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]546946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]546947[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]546948[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Replacement fuel tanks  27 Sport-dscn3071.jpg   Replacement fuel tanks  27 Sport-dscn3073.jpg   Replacement fuel tanks  27 Sport-dscn3074.jpg  

Replacement fuel tanks  27 Sport-dscn3076.jpg   Replacement fuel tanks  27 Sport-dscn3077.jpg   Replacement fuel tanks  27 Sport-dscn3081.jpg  

Old 10-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mario the black coating on the tanks is like the Rust-Oleum High Performance C9578 System Coal Tar Epoxy. Your new tanks when done should last as long as we are around. I just replaced my sedans tanks as friend of mine gave me a new set of fuel tanks that were made for one of his old Klem Gem 27' race boats . The bulkhead in front of the engine bay had to be modified as these tanks were 4" longer but the free tanks saved me many $$$. I coated me tanks on the bottom & sides then foamed them in. Here is a pic of the bulkhead I had to move back as the sedans tanks are below the cockpit floor. I'm 62 I know what you mean about these rebuilds are getting harder to do. Mark
Attached Thumbnails Replacement fuel tanks  27 Sport-sam_0791.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.