Notices

Mangum 44'?

Old 08-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Magnum 44'?

I'm very happy with my current 382 Formula, but will probably move up to something bigger in 4-5 years. I have looked at (and liked) the Formula 400SS, but also liked the layout (but not the quality) of the 45' Excalibur (formerly Wellcraft, now Four Winns and apparently built in Australia by Riviera?). I though that a Sunseeker would be a nice move-up option, too.

Then I saw the 44 on Magnum's web site. It seems to have more beam than the others (except maybe the 400SS), but has great lines and big diesel power. Looks like great stand-up headroom and a nice comfortable cabin.

Does anyone own one of these, or can you tell me anything about them as cruisers? There are just the two of us, and we tend to take trips of 3-10 days.

Last edited by C_Spray; 08-20-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Truth be told, I'm a bit partial to Magnums.There has been a number of tests of the 'larger' Magnums over the last few years...larger being 44' and over.So don't take it from partial me ! The boat mags all say the same thing..they're in a league of their own.Everything about them is massive including their construction so consequently it also takes a good bit of power to really get them moving.The price of the things is also stratospheric but I'm sure it will only take one turn at the helm and you will really start saving those pennies
Old 08-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnum claims that with the hull being THREE INCHES THICK, that it could hit anything while underway and not sink, or bust for that matter. Nothing else comes close to their quality. Just go to Miami and take a tour of their factory and they will show you what goes into building these beasts. Just ask for Everett Sutton.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Called the factory and spoke to the sales rep yesterday. I tried to stay cool when she casually mentioned that the base price for a 44 was (sit down) - $809,000. I told her to go ahead and send me a brochure, but let me know if something showed up used in the Brokerage department.

Can't believe I misspelled "Magnum" in the header of this post. Sheesh.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

You do see a few from time to time in brokerage sections of the glossier boat mags ...MB&S,Boating,Yachting etc.Actually there have been quite a few 40's available over the last few years.If you do go used,and there's nothing wrong with that,just make sure that its got the biggest engines in it that you can get.
Nothing worse than having a 35 MPH Magnum
Old 08-21-2003, 07:54 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There are plenty of 40s for sale, and some are very nice.
Not as many 44s have been built, but in 4-5yrs, some more may pop up for sale. Nothing wrong with starting to look now!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Right - I'm looking at 4-5 years. I'd like to get the current boat paid off first. 44's were introduced around 1998, right?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Registered

I toured the facility a couple years ago and was blown away. The boats are unbelieveable. The 44 is a really nice specimen and, while I like the Formula, I think that its not targeted to the same consumer. The Magnum really competes with few others, mostly express cruisers from Europe. It is one amazing machine. Perhaps you'll find a used one but it may take some time as they command an almost cult like following for good reason.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Registered

The Magnum 44 is the boat I dream about owning every single day, but at the price they get for one, new or used (if you an find a used one), I'll have to be happy with my littl' ol' 1972 Magnum 27 Sport for now.

http://www.magnummarine.com

---------------------
Forrest

Staying happy and installing DPX drives.

Last edited by ForrestC; 09-04-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Mangum 44'?

What a fine boat, always liked this model.

Quick Reply: Mangum 44'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.