Lakes & Launch ramps >

Lakes & Launch ramps

Notices

Lakes & Launch ramps

Old 04-01-2002, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lakes & Launch ramps

I figure it would not be bad to have a good list of places to launch when we are at some of the lake areas. (Bob go first )

** LANIER **
MARY ALICE PARK - 3 large and long ramps, gigantic lot for long trailers and trucks. Medium boat traffic in cove. Can get waves from boat traffic though.
CHARLSTON PARK - nice no-wave and wind protected cove, but lot is small.

** HARTWELL **
STATE PARK: Right off Rt85 @ Exit#1 in SC. Two level ramps in no wake cove.
CHIKASAW: Off Rt85 @ Exit#1 but 10miles down rt11 on "boat ramp road" outside ChikasawPoint development. 1 ramp but a bit off level. Narrow and sharp drop at end. (still works fine in a pinch)
Old 04-01-2002, 12:13 PM
gaboatnut

GREAT THREAD!

I agree with Mary Alice (wrong side of the lake for me, but still a great ramp) On the Buford side Shoal Creek Park, once the lake gets back up there are 2 or 3 good ramps and dock.

On Hartwell, I always use State Park too.

Now my turn...

On Lake Oconee, Sugar Creek Ramp..off US441 South, kinda tough to find (just ask I'll email directions) but a free Ga Power ramp, 2 lanes with a dock and lots of parking. Or Long Shoals ramp off Ga 16, approx 10 miles east of Eatonton...very nice 2 laner with again lots of parking, and again FREE. Both ramps and lots tend to fill on Saturdays for BASS tourneys, but love to back down with the exhaust open and fire her up..sends the BASS guys ducking for cover!

Clark Hill Lake...Mistletoe State Park, I-20 east exit Ga hwy 150 north, aprox 7 miles, follow signs...state park with 3 ramps (when the lake is up) ample parking..launch fee $2.00

Old 04-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Registered

When the water is low on Lanier--Vanns Tavern has the lowest ramp with floating dock access on the lake I believe. At the lowest point last year, I got in by dropping the back axle off the end of the longest ramp...just enough to get the boat in!

GABoatNut--I had my eyes open for a procession of Crownlines a couple of weeks ago but didn't recognize any...Have you tried the ramps at Elijah Clarke park on Clarke's Hill lake? I would like to find a place thats safe enough to leave the trailer overnight while out on the boat.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:05 AM
Registered

Corey

I think you're right. I also used that ramp late last year and it was the only one I found with the dock still floating. It's a tad steep but that's why we could still use it. I launch at Bethal park most of the time. Very quite, but not much parking.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:11 AM
gaboatnut

Corey, looked for ya a couple weekends ago, never saw ya. Cruised thru Cocktail Cove in the afternoon too. There were 3 of us out...hmmm.

Not gonna be on Lanier this weekend, going to West Point...Holiday Campground, taking my kids camping for Spring Break.

Never used Elijah Clark, but have been on that part of the lake by water..WATCH OUT FOR THE TREES!!! North of the 378 bridge there are tree tops everywhere...they are NOT on the charts, but I saw em last fall when the water was low. As far as security..using a State Park, like Misltetoe, you would be a secure as possable.

Let me know when you are going to Clark Hill, I am only an hour away, we'll hook up. Clark Hill is probably my favorite lake in Georgia, been on it a ton!

Old 04-02-2002, 10:53 AM
Registered

Gaboatnut

I've done boat club trips to Clark Hill Lake several times. We stay at Mistletoe State Park. You're right, great place.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:27 AM
gaboatnut

The ramp there is SCAREY now! The normal ramps are 30-40' up, high and dry! You now have to drive along what USED to be the shoreline to a temp metal ramp put in my the corps....even then I almost dropped my rear trailer tires off the end...Clark Hill and I assume Hartwell both NEED WATER!!!

I heard yesterday that Lanier was looking GREAT tho..plan on being up there NEXT weekend (the 13th) for the day.

Old 04-02-2002, 11:38 AM
Registered

Yea...Would be nice to get into the boat by dock, vs, crawling over the front which is an accident waiting to happen. But Lanier is up now higher than any time last year....... right now.

As for Hartwell. If I take a trip to my folks next weekend I will check the ramps with the jetski if they have it in. You almost wish they would but a hard barrier at the end of the ramps to keep the trailers from going back too far.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Lanier Gainesville Marina has a good ramp (only one though) at the lakes lowest last year, I never got my trailer tires off the end of the ramp. They also have a floating dock, and security, only $4.00 not too bad, and much better than getting wet.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

Thanks for the Mistletoe recommend and tree warning near Elijah Clarke on Clarkes Hill. I hope to try the lake out in May if there is some water in it! Will give a yelp if I'm going to make it. The water there was so much smoother looking than Lanier when we drove by last summer--can't wait to try it.

Quick Reply: Lakes & Launch ramps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.