History of Outboard racing

Notices

History of Outboard racing

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default History of Outboard racing

There was an article in th MD Independent last month saying that The Calvert Marine Musuem is compliling info on the history of outboard racing. They are interested in any pictures, film, etc.

They said that in 1960's Aqua Land and Cobb Island held APBA events that attracted "thousands" of spectators. Also, Sweden Point marina hosted APBA races in the 70's.

Anybody remember these races? What about up near National Airport? I remeber someone telling me they used to race up there too.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Presidents Cup race were Unlimited's and ran at Hanes Point, they ended in the 70's
Was at an APBA event at Swedens Point back in the 70's
J.C. Hills (J.C.'s Outboards) dad used to hold an APBA endurance record in one of the stock outboard classes.
This is a link to the Unlimited race they are trying to promote this summer at National Harbor, when I talked to some of the folks at this demonstration, they were trying to get the Outboard, and other classes of hydro's to run at this event also. Don't know the status, if it ever got off the ground, but they were shooting for June. of 2012.
http://www.missmadisonhydro.com/2011...ashington-d-c/

Last edited by Beak Boater; 01-09-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Presidents Cup race were Unlimited's and ran at Hanes Point, they ended in the 70's
Was at an APBA event at Swedens Point back in the 70'sJ.C. Hills (J.C.'s Outboards) dad used to hold an APBA endurance record in one of the stock outboard classes.
This is a link to the Unlimited race they are trying to promote this summer at National Harbor, when I talked to some of the folks at this demonstration, they were trying to get the Outboard, and other classes of hydro's to run at this event also. Don't know the status, if it ever got off the ground, but they were shooting for June. of 2012.
http://www.missmadisonhydro.com/2011...ashington-d-c/
I see how you snuck that in there so I underligned it. really showing the age.
You really are like the Godfather of the Potomac. Who has logged more hours PLEASURE boating on the Potomac than you?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah....but I was only 12 when I was their
Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

Randy has logged more hours then anyone i know on the potomac. What takes me 30 minutes takes him an hour.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the last races held in DC - called due to weather, we were told to hold on to our tickets for next year, had them until 1991, threw them out when I moved.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dcb
I was at the last races held in DC - called due to weather, we were told to hold on to our tickets for next year, had them until 1991, threw them out when I moved.
What yr. was that? I didn't come to the DC area until 1988. I guess the races were over by then?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Don't remember exactly - late 70s, 78 or 79?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Sorry it was 1977, I checked with a buddy a few years older than me - he remembers a crash in 64/65 (he was with his dad) and saw the body fly through the air - dead on impact

Last edited by dcb; 01-12-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Default Outboard Races

Back in the 60's and early 70's there were races all over St. Mary's county almost every weekend, Most of the waterfront bars sponsered them, Like Clark's Landing, Leonardtown wharf, Captain Sam's, It was great, there were tunnelhulls, vbottoms, kneeldown hydros etc, they even broadcast the races on WKIK radio, I miss those days they always had a big boat count never missed a race.