Chesapeake Bay Information >

Chesapeake Bay Information

Notices

Chesapeake Bay Information

Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chesapeake Bay Information

I am considering purchasing a boat near Chesapeake Beach. I know almost nothing about the Chesapeake Bay area, and have some concerns about the brackish water. All of my previous boats have been freshwater and have heard a bunch of horror stories about salt. I know Chesapeake isn't salt, and I think the beach is far enough up the bay that the salt mixture is minor. Is that correct? What should I be concerned about? Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm not sure at what point it turns fresh enough that you don't have to worry abotu salinization, but if a boat has been flushed and treated well you shouldn't be worried about salt at all. Normally those HORROR stories originate from someone who hasn't lived on salt water ever, and have no business commenting on it.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Registered

Chesapeake Beach is definitely salt water. Corrosion is an issue here if the boat is left in the water for any period without proper precautions including sacrificial zincs and electrolysis systems. IF you work a deal and need some additional pics or a non bias opinion I live about 20 minutes from there.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most boats for sale in and around the Chesapeake always advertise fresh water boat? The upper Chesapeake connects to the Delaware bay via the C&D canal and that is ocean salt, depending on tides current wind and rainfall salt concentration can become very high, also there are areas that have ph extremes as well which can cause some serious corrosion damage in conjunction with the brackish water. As said in the previous post anodes and electrolysis prevention equip. must be maintained around here. Definitely worth a look in person.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered

I bought my Formula off of Chesapeke bay. It was kept on a lift and flushed for only a minute after every use. There is pretty much no corrosion on anything. When the engine was torn down and built the engine parts were clean also. The boat was 6 years old when I bought it. Jeff Wurl
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us in this area treat our boats like saltwater boats and flush accordingly. If the engine has exotic heads or something like that it may be an issue, but most performance boats are fairly well treated here. It will not be as pristine as a boat local to you, but not like a south Florida boat.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for the responses very helpful.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

another thread about the salt water boogie man, if the owner appears to have taken care of the boat you'll be fine, the upper bay is not nearly as salty as the lower bay and ocean, if it's a raw water cooled boat just keep in mind that things like the manifolds may need to be replaced every 5-7 yrs and price the boat accordingly.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
another thread about the salt water boogie man, .
HA - it's funny. My buddy across the street bought a 2002 wellcraft that had 30 hours and had been on fresh water it's entire life - volvo penta 350. The following year (2011) we replaced the ENTIRE transom assembly becuase it was corroded beyond repair (like nothing i have ever seen). His new longblock just showed up last week from where we pulled the engine this fall and found the block it was full of water.

Salt is not the problem - it's owners.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Boats that are raw cooled still get 10+ years out of intakes, steel heads. In this area with 0 flush..The risers and exhaust will have the most issue if they are steel. Aluminum 3-4 years with no flush. Most of the time the boat sells before serious issue. You will likely never have a issue with a block. Now I am a little north west of the CB but by only 40 miles or so, it's not that much of a big deal. Like said if the boat looks like it's been cared for it is prob just fine. Are water is more fresh then salt IMO

Salt might not be great on engine stuff, but FRESH, it will rot the hell out of any wood it gets in, thats fact.
John jr