Notices

overhead hoist?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overhead hoist?

so..... We did some measurements and my plan for popping the engine back in isn't going to work. My engine hoist isn't high enough and my overhead hoist inside the garage won't clear it either. My fathers car lift at his new house wouldn't go up high enough either to get it up and over the back of the boat, so before I start doing some serious unpolitically correct engineering, anybody got a good rig setup in the pasadena or surrounding areas for helping me get the 540 back in the rear of the check? beer, pizza, cash, just lemme know.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyain
so..... We did some measurements and my plan for popping the engine back in isn't going to work. My engine hoist isn't high enough and my overhead hoist inside the garage won't clear it either. My fathers car lift at his new house wouldn't go up high enough either to get it up and over the back of the boat, so before I start doing some serious unpolitically correct engineering, anybody got a good rig setup in the pasadena or surrounding areas for helping me get the 540 back in the rear of the check? beer, pizza, cash, just lemme know.

Thanks!

If you have a local Cummin's, Catapillar service shop etc. this works well.
It's all remote control, so he can see exactly what he is doing.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails overhead hoist?-pc050255.jpg   overhead hoist?-pc050248.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cougarman
If you have a local Cummin's, Catapillar service shop etc. this works well.
It's all remote control, so he can see exactly what he is doing.

Jon
LOLOL

Actually Cummins is how the old engine came out. When I worked up there a few years ago I brought the boat up to the shop and picked it with our shop's overhead crane. Unfortunately, the local dealer has been going through some things, all the guys I knew that worked there that coulda helped me on this no longer work there, and I don't have the shop to use.....

The other hillarious part is that I work for Caterpillar now, however I'm a field engineer on the large switchgear side, so I know absolutely nobody on the service sides whatsoever..... I actually work from home and my office is listed as Manassas, VA even though I got 9 other locations closer to me. They also do not allow using stuff like the elkridge shop for personal stuff as far as I know.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Registered

You just have to get more creative lol

This is what we used the other day and it couldn't have worked any better

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I was able to make my cherry picker barely clear by removing trailer tires and jacking up the tongue.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kyain

Thanks!
I have a gantry crane in my shop I used to pull both my engines. I think I have over 10 ft of lift if you can drag it all up 95 to Port Deposit I can pull my empty hull and trailer out. Drop yours in and finish attaching everything later.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts

I have a gantry crane that I made a few years that is portable if you would like to barrow it let me know.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bring your boat and engine over the house. I'm only 15 minutes from your parents house. Or you can borrow my gantry and you can take it over there. 14' tall adjustable and modified to 10' wide. Whatever you wanna do
Old 08-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Just bring your boat and engine over the house. I'm only 15 minutes from your parents house. Or you can borrow my gantry and you can take it over there. 14' tall adjustable and modified to 10' wide. Whatever you wanna do
my parents house is actually my house now. They moved out and I bought it so yea, we're pretty close now (it's also why things have been getting done on this turd finally)

I'll pm you my number and we can get together on it
Old 08-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

If you live near Back River Neck Rd call Bill at FMR Towing 443-956-0844. I use him to pull and install engines in my Sonic several times now. He knows how to do it w/o damaging a thing. Gave him like $75 to do both engines.