Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Mid Atlantic US
Smaller Boats on the Chesapeake or the Rivers? >

Smaller Boats on the Chesapeake or the Rivers?

Notices

Smaller Boats on the Chesapeake or the Rivers?

Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smaller Boats on the Chesapeake or the Rivers?

I grew up in the Annapolis area and did a lot of boating, mostly fishing and sailing back then. I moved to Phoenix in the early 80's for work. Looks like I'm probably moving back to the Hagerstown area next spring. I'm trying to decide if I want to bring my boat back. It's on the smaller side, a 22' Advantage Sportcat. I'm going through everything now including the motor. So looking at all of the posts it looks like mostly bigger boats, >30' on here. Weather permitting can you do alright with a 22 on the Bay or maybe some of the rivers if you want to meet other performance boaters? Any local clubs or forums? From where I'll probably buy a home it'll be ~90 minutes to Annapolis which isn't bad, Havasu is 3 hours out here! Also my boat runs a blown 509 and it was set up to run on Av-Gas which was readily available out here. Can you get high octane fuel around the Bay area? I ask because when I get the motor to the machine shop I'll have to decide what boost I'll run based on the fuel available there. Thanks for any advice!
Craig
Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Craig,

On a good day yes you certainly can run your boat on the bay. Waters can get rough for sure but 1-2' you should be fine. Water is always calmer in the northern portion (north of Annapolis) of the bay. The rivers....IE: Magothy, Severn, Chester all will be just fine with your boat. CBPBA is the local boat club....check out their website. My neighbor boat at my marina is one of the board members...Hit me up if you want more info. Hope to see you soon.

Chris
Old 07-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris! A friend of mine back in Annapolis also recommended the CBPBA. I'll check out their website, I see they have a FB page as well. Some other stuff I've read echoes what you say, the northern part of the Bay is calmer. I'll probably be living in the Hagerstown area, so the northern part will be closer anyway, with the drive, we'll probably still end up doing a Saturday night hotel on my boating weekends.. When I was back east last year we took an exploratory trip over to Deep Creek Lake, granted it was early May, but I didn't see may sport boats. Looking forward to getting back east!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by mltdwn12
Thanks Chris! A friend of mine back in Annapolis also recommended the CBPBA. I'll check out their website, I see they have a FB page as well. Some other stuff I've read echoes what you say, the northern part of the Bay is calmer. I'll probably be living in the Hagerstown area, so the northern part will be closer anyway, with the drive, we'll probably still end up doing a Saturday night hotel on my boating weekends.. When I was back east last year we took an exploratory trip over to Deep Creek Lake, granted it was early May, but I didn't see may sport boats. Looking forward to getting back east!
Craig, Looks us up when you get back to MD.

Cheers,

Chris