Biggest LOTO waves??? >

Biggest LOTO waves???

Notices

Biggest LOTO waves???

Old 05-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

A 21 footer and no experience is a recipe for disaster at LOTO on a busy weekend.
If you go, use caution. The best plan would be to stay somehwhere that is very close.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree with the no experience and going out during the busiest of times. Make no sense, but the rental companies love it.... That being said, depending on where you boat makes a huge difference as well. The Main Channel up to about the 33 mm is the roughest because it is the most heavily traveled. But the higher numbers, Niagua Arm(s), Gravois Arm and the numerous coves are all fine even even on the "Big Days" To clarify, big days are event days (Shootout, poker runs, races) Or Saturday during the summer between 11 am and 4pm. Other than that, It will NOT be a problem. During the week, is always a great ride.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just looked at a few shootout videos.....WHO NELLY! In the ocean can be rough but they come from 1 direction....but there WOW!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbo rr
I just looked at a few shootout videos.....WHO NELLY! In the ocean can be rough but they come from 1 direction....but there WOW!
Not a problem for a Powerplay.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keytime
not a problem for a powerplay.
got that right!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a few Lake Michigan waves
Attached Thumbnails Biggest LOTO waves???-image.jpg  

Last edited by MrCIG; 05-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
I've never been to LOTO but really want to go, but after reading this thread and watching these videos, I'm having serious doubts about towing my 29' Fountain 1,600 miles
Originally Posted by bajaholic
You will have NO problem with your boat. Those pictures are leaving Shootout tie up. For about 20 minutes it is the closest thing to hurricane waves you will ever experience.
Clearly you haven't experienced a hurricane in person.

It was a problem for this big Outlaw that if I remember correctly ejected its passengers, size doesn't alway matter as we all learned from last year's Shoot Out Poker Run video that went viral. It seems that most incidents like these are with boaters that are from out of town. But with this being said, there was also a 18' Donzi that ran Support the Troops Poker Run which held its own with the big boys. I don't want to open up the debate about boating incidents on LOTO or what had caused them from drivers not knowing what they were doing, down to not wearing the kill switch lanyards. The bottom line, LOTO is not an easy lake to enjoy during the weekends, holidays and major events and with all the wrong factors in place it can be down right dangerous as can a lot of other bodies of water out there. So, I guess my point is saying someone will "will have NO problem" may be providing a false sense of security.

Racerngr1, dragging your 29 all the way to Missouri to boat on LOTO for the first time would give me serious doubts as well. If you are looking to come during a quiet week then go for it. But if you're looking to come for the Shootout or a holiday then I would fly for the first time to scope it out and see if it is something you want to deal with. I know there are all kinds of boaters out there that fit all kinds of molds, but for us we have a hard time relaxing at that this lake that is only 2 hours away from our home. In fact when we take long weekends and vacations we drive right past it for an additional 2 hour drive. We go maybe two or three times a year, mostly in the Fall. From the rough water, other boaters and the worries of waves while she is in the slip is just too much for us to unwind and relax. But then again that is just us, our boat is kept in bubble wrap.

I hope you get the opportunity to visit with or without your boat at least once, it is truly a fun and unique lake and experience.
Attached Thumbnails Biggest LOTO waves???-100_0049.jpg   Biggest LOTO waves???-100_0048.jpg   Biggest LOTO waves???-100_0056.jpg  

Last edited by TW720HVY; 05-26-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts

If I remember correctly, that Outlaw Driver was not wearing their lanyard, was sited for BWI. NOT a good mix.

If you are pulling 1600 miles, it is not for one day. It would likely be for a week. I have been coming to LOTO for 12+ years, we were weekender's for 8 years and now live here full time. (for us it was a 9 hour trip when we were weekender's) Sunday afternoon through Thursday, the lake is rarely busy. Saturday is always the busiest during the summer,

Common sense, is really the most important part of boating, here or anywhere. Follow that and you will be fine. I am a safe boater and pay attention to what is going on around us, I expect people on this blog are basically the same or they wouldn't be following performance boat web site. Just saying...
Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like we are saying the same thing, but I will go out on a limb here and say that something tells me someone from this forum wants to drag their boat out here for the Shoot Out and not for a quiet week of boating.

I cannot speak as too the driver's physical state other than something and most likely rough water ejected everyone on board. If they were impaired and like I said "with all the wrong factors in place it can be down right dangerous" you support my point. At the same time however, last year's Fountain incident during the poker run alcohol wasn't a factor and some said the driver was actually an experienced boat racer of some type.

I also said, "If you are looking to come during a quiet week then go for it."

You and I both know "common sense" at LOTO can be an oxymoron at times. My stress and lack of relaxation comes from stress cracks, dock rash, worrying about others around the slips and the 2'-4' rollers starting 100' from the end of the docks. But like I said that is just us and the molding we came from, if this doesn't brother others then they will have a wonderfully relaxing time at LOTO. This is simply my opinion and those can choose to take it or leave it.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 05-27-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just rent a place at the 40mm +? The water from 40-55 is no big deal and it is still close to Cpt. Rons.

Quick Reply: Biggest LOTO waves???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.