Dangerous Docks at LOTO??? >

Dangerous Docks at LOTO???

Notices

Dangerous Docks at LOTO???

Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

To the point that I wouldn't want to over legislate, however as new visitors come to the lake they aren't aware of these dangers and are trusting that their friends/relatives that have invited them are providing a safe experience. That being said sometimes I wonder if the owners know if there docks are safe especially in those cases where the land/dock/cabin has been passed from one generation to the next. Maybe the back handed way of making things safe would be to campaign the publice to only swim around Safety Certified private docks that have a posted safety plackard. This way its more of a peer pressure thing.

I really appreciate the tips on checking a dock. THANKS!!! I know we are making a trip or two yet this year to private docks I have not seen before.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if a established and insured electrical contractor would advertise a dock inspection for a modest fee, say $75.00 or less, (this can't really take more than a hour on site), and then give a realistic bid to fix deficiencies, they would be overwhelmed with work. This would also give them repeat customers for other jobs if they were fair and did the job in a timely and professional manner. Seems like a no-brainer to me. It is a win/win for everyone and there is no downside for anyone. I would think insurance providers might want to offer a incentive ( inspection fee reimbursement for instance) upon completion of repairs, if any are needed.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

This is not just a Lake of the Ozarks problem, but anywhere that there are docks on the water. It may show up more at LOTO, just because of the sheer number of docks lining the 1100 miles of shoreline.
Ameren (the utility that runs the lake) has great details on their website about how to correctly wire a dock.

Instruct everybody everywhere that if you feel a "tingle", swim away from that dock or boat.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Got a letter from Ameren Missouri today reminding everyone about safe wiring on docks or anywhere near water. Gave information on protective measures, links to more information etc. It reminds everyone to work with their local fire district and that doc owners are responsible for conducting routine inspections. Here is the site they send you to. If you want to know what to look for on a dock go to the check sheet link. I wonder how many ladders are grounded to the frame, let alone the frame grounded to a grounding rod. I had a new wet steps ladder installed last year and it had a cross piece welded to the frame and it was bolted into the cross piece and the frame.

http://www.ameren.com/sites/aue/lake...allations.aspx