arnesons on 35 motion >

arnesons on 35 motion

Notices

arnesons on 35 motion

Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arnesons on 35 motion

Looking for a little feedback. I am rerigging a 35 that we raced with #v ssm. The boat was de-rigged and sat for several years. I am thinking of filling the back step and running arnesons. My concern is with the lack of positive trim. We rigged the boat originally with the engines a bit far forward for balance in rougher conditions but in the calm stuff we actually needed to run with slightly positive trim.
For those who are running 35's with a surfacing drive do you ever use positive trim? I know moving engines back a bit would help the bow ride a bit higher but wanted feedback from anyone currently running a five or six drive. (I don't know of anyone running an arneson on a Motion yet?)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

My motion has #6's. It likes very neutral trim. Mine has a notched transom. My motors were actually too far forward when originally rigged. I recently moved them rearward but they still have I think about a 16 inch shaft. Why will you have no positive trim? Are you going to rig it with arnesons that don't trim?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered

The output shaft itself of the Arneson is mounted 3 to 4" above the bottom of the boat it has to be at a downward angle for the prop to be deep enough (even surfacing). The angle of the transom, the standoff box and the added length of the Arneson helps to get the prop lower but I think the best you can hope for is neutral. Any positive trim would basically leave prop too high. Remember the Arneson does not turn 90 degrees twice to start with a parallel to boat bottom prop shaft.
How did your boat respond to the engines moved back?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by supercat
The output shaft itself of the Arneson is mounted 3 to 4" above the bottom of the boat it has to be at a downward angle for the prop to be deep enough (even surfacing). The angle of the transom, the standoff box and the added length of the Arneson helps to get the prop lower but I think the best you can hope for is neutral. Any positive trim would basically leave prop too high. Remember the Arneson does not turn 90 degrees twice to start with a parallel to boat bottom prop shaft.
How did your boat respond to the engines moved back?
Little hop at 80 or so that I can drive right through. It used to jump like crazy. We dont have the right wheels on it yet but it seems to be running faster than anyone expected. It seems to like smaller diameter props also. I am trying to find some 36 to 38 pitch 4 blades right now.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supercat,
I know this is not what you are asking, but may be helpful. We installed Arnesons on an old heavy v bottom that originally had TRS drives. In addition, moved motors 3 inches further forward than they were with the TRS. My concern was that it may run bow down. Truth is, the drives carry the bow very well with just std old merc 4 blades, nothing fancy. I have yet to hear of any boat that did not like the Arnesons, cat or v bottom. My hunch is that they would work great on the Motion.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Registered

Arnesons are perfect. You will have no trim issues.