Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > MTI (Marine Technologies)
Turbine or piston power >

Turbine or piston power

Notices

Turbine or piston power

Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine or piston power

I am currently looking to build a new MTI and can't make my mind up as to build a turbine or a piston powered boat. I currently own two turbine powered boats, one a 27' Eliminator with 750 hp and a 33' Eliminator with 1450 hp both of which are for sale. I have two 1000 hp piston motors ready to go in something but I really think that the market to sell the turbine powered boat will be far less than the market for a turbine. Feedback please?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: Turbine or piston power

Our Race team has a 51 OL turbine powered, currently building a 44 MTI with Turbines and we are looking for another 40+ used cat to rig for turbines while we are waiting for the MTI. We will be running all 3 at races and events next year
Turbines are the future in our opinion.
1000 hr rebuilds and as easy to operate as a boat with 1500hp piston motors and 1/10th the headaches
Old 11-13-2005, 07:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapa11
but I really think that the market to sell the turbine powered boat will be far less than the market for a turbine.
Come again?!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered

Ooops sorry bout that. I mean't to say that the market to sell a turbine powered boat will be far less than a piston powered boat. It just looks like people are very skeptical for turbines yet. My 27' boat is as easy to dock or anything else as a piston boat, does better on fuel, has 1000's of hrs. of engine reliability, runs like a scalded dog, but people in general, for what ever reason has doubt about it.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do not take this wrong but I can not imagine resale value is even worth worring about on a boat such as this. Buld the turbine you will be happier and that is all that matters. Just my .02
Wish I had your headaches.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Registered

Resale means a lot 'cause I don't keep a boat very long and I don't want to loose my butt 2 years down the road. I love the turbines myself but they do cost more in the beginning especially when you are talking about a pleasure boat.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the Turbine out and use them in your next boat if your worried about resale. Aquatoystore has had this turine 50 nortech for sale for as long as i can remeber
http://www.aquatoystore.com/gallery/viewlisting.php?list_id=63&stock=50'%20Nortech&vie w=Used%20Boats&sort=Make

MTT did a turbine powered 44 mti for a guy in the boston area which is pretty sick.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

Tapa: What size are you building?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

39'...
Old 11-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Registered

Hey all... new here and don't mean to but in... but if you are building a turbine boat you might want to give us a call. We have a computer system that will run your engines and trend monitor your performance to give you cues as to when you might want to carry out a compressor wash etc.

I find the same problem with the Turbine application. People still seem ?intimidated? by the turbines. I don't know why either because they make for one hell of a boat. Easy to use, reliable... all that. Maybe some people just like pain... or fear change... or it seems too good to be true... I don't know. If you figgure it our let me know... our industrial turbine business is great but I'd much rather be doing high end turbine installations in boats hehehe....

(If anyone is interested in the computer system you can get more info on it at our website or call us... www.thefirestormgroup.com )

Quick Reply: Turbine or piston power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.