Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > MTI (Marine Technologies)
Lifejackets or not in a canopy >

Lifejackets or not in a canopy

Notices

Lifejackets or not in a canopy

Old 07-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lifejackets or not in a canopy

of the 4 canopy MTIs i saw last weekend at the poker run at LOTO half of them put on lifejackets for the run and half didnt

Just an observation, but i would think it would be harder to get out of the hatch with those one, and if you go upside it may be hard to get out if you lifejack was pushing you up

What do you think

just courious
Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that wearing a PFD is all about if you get bumped in the head. I have never worn a jacket, of course, I don't participate in organized events either.

I think I would wear one in a canopy boat. Considering the speeds they were probably running, and the fact that getting out won't matter much if you are unconscious, I would just prefer to be trying to bobber to the surface no matter what.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

You must wear inflatable racing canopy style jackets. You do not want a regular jacket in a canopy boat. Get out of the boat then inflate. I am not talking aaout those junk inflatable belts fisherman use. Not having any jacket is not smart either. If the boat is upside down how do you get jackets on when they are stored in the boat?

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 07-02-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got a link to the good inflatables
Old 07-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Registered

http://www.securityrace.com/lifejack...fejackets.html
Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
of the 4 canopy MTIs i saw last weekend at the poker run at LOTO half of them put on lifejackets for the run and half didnt

Just an observation, but i would think it would be harder to get out of the hatch with those one, and if you go upside it may be hard to get out if you lifejack was pushing you up

What do you think

just courious
I have been very guilty not wearing a jacket at speed in a canopy and just putting the lap belt on. I will tell you if you go upside down and your not dazed and confused, you will get out the escape hatch with the jacket on. I would be more worried going over without a helmet, you will whack your head. I have whacked my head on the inside of the canopy and saw stars with helmet on. Whether poker running or pleasure boating you have to consider saving yourself in that situation. I believe any pleasure boater with a canopy boat should go through a dunker test at one of the races. I am sure the safety guys would run you through it. It is a big time eye opener and that is a controlled enviroment.

I was at the LOTO poker run also and saw what you described. I also saw one of the boats minus it's two canopy hatches. That bothered me more then anything, I feel the canopy is useless without the lids on them. They go over at speed and it turns into a scoop, they won't walk away! PLEASE, keep your lids on.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALVIN
I have been very guilty not wearing a jacket at speed in a canopy and just putting the lap belt on. I will tell you if you go upside down and your not dazed and confused, you will get out the escape hatch with the jacket on. I would be more worried going over without a helmet, you will whack your head. I have whacked my head on the inside of the canopy and saw stars with helmet on. Whether poker running or pleasure boating you have to consider saving yourself in that situation. I believe any pleasure boater with a canopy boat should go through a dunker test at one of the races. I am sure the safety guys would run you through it. It is a big time eye opener and that is a controlled enviroment.

I was at the LOTO poker run also and saw what you described. I also saw one of the boats minus it's two canopy hatches. That bothered me more then anything, I feel the canopy is useless without the lids on them. They go over at speed and it turns into a scoop, they won't walk away! PLEASE, keep your lids on.
Totally agree with the dunk test. As for open hatches, remember Jack Carmody.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the life jacket and getting knocked out is a moot point... your belted in. if your not belted in, your a human pinball.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Registered

I have four for sale in the swap shop.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ml#post2902436
Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALVIN

I told Matt about the helmets. Didn't listen to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.