Red Bull Flugtag Miami - PHOTOS >

Red Bull Flugtag Miami - PHOTOS

Notices

Red Bull Flugtag Miami - PHOTOS

Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 3,077 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Tank, according to the website, the event was scheduled to start at noon and run until 2.
They did start on time, but ran a long because of cleanup, interviews and unforeseen things
like that duck running off course and getting stuck in the safety netting.

Based on what I saw in Miami, you will probably need to get there a couple hours early to get a good spot.
We were right on the rail of the spectator area, but had to get there at 9:15 to claim the territory.
Standing in one place for 5+ hours was a killer on my feet...once the crowd packed in there was hardly room to turn around,
much less think about going anywhere. A boat is definitely the way to do this event.

Here's an overhead view of the place taken from the Red Bull website.

Thanks for the info Jay! Good stuff. We're planning on running over to Catalina for lunch so it's good to know how this thing works. Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sad ending to wat looked like a fun day..

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...-98358004.html

Red Bull Boat Crash Survivor "Lucky to be Alive"

Woman suffered broken back and gash on her head
By HANK TESTER
Updated 8:20 AM EDT, Wed, Jul 14, 2010

A trip to watch The Red Bull Flugtag over the weekend could have been the last boat trip ever for Yara Rinaman and her husband, Luke Rinamen.

Heading home after the event in their 18-foot Cobia, the veteran boaters were run over by a speed boat.

Luke remembers looking up after hearing a crash and watching what he describes as a white-on-blue Sea Ray slide right over their boat. Yara was crumpled on the deck with a severe wound to her head, her back injured. Luke was fighting to control the boat.

"I heard my husband scream that we were sinking," Yara recalled Tuesday.
Luke could not handle the boat and attending Yara's injuries. He also realized that the boaters who had run up their stern had not stopped to render aid even though Luke had locked eyes with three women on board as they passed over the little Cobia.

"My assumption was they would stop. The first rule of the water is to render assistance, giving aid. I could not imagine them not stopping," said Luke with an almost bewildered look.

Now Yara sits in Mercy Hospital with 50 stitches holding her forehead together. She also has cracked vertabrae in her back, but she is alive, luckily, many doctors said.

A young boater with some pals came to the rescue, one jumping into the sinking boat. He held Yara as the boat slowly filled with salt water. Luke stabilized the boat. A Miami-Dade Police boat arrived as did a City of Miami Fire Rescue boat.

In an email to NBC Miami, Ricardo Damas, one of the young boaters who rendered aid to Yara, said he wishes her a speedy recovery.

"What happened Saturday afternoon was a scary event and should be prevented," Damas said.

FWC and Miami-Dade water patrol are still looking for the Sea /Ray. There could have been as many as ten on board, according to Luke.

The couple would like the boat operator to deal with the consequences. With a crowd on board, someone has to have difficulty not coming clean, the couple reasons.

"There has to be somebody on that boat that has to be bothered by what happened and has to be bothered by it," Yara said. "I can't believe they are not coming forward."
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Man, that is sad to hear.

There were a LOT of boats in the bay watching the event, probably as many as I've ever seen anchored in one place like that.

Of all the times I've been on boats, the most dangerous waters I've ever felt I was in were at the end of events that had large numbers of boats at anchor.
As everyone leaves, usually in some kind of hurry, there are all sizes of vessels heading in different directions and PLOWING.
You need eyes in the back of your head, and the water is crazy- huge wakes with boats close together and inexperienced operators, etc etc.
It's a good thing it ending during the daylight- I can't imagine navigating in a crowd like that after dark.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM
FPC Events
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our neighbors were the Mexican wrestlers! They had a blast!