Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Nor-Tech (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nor-tech-143/)
-   -   Nortech 36 vs 43 cat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nor-tech/287193-nortech-36-vs-43-cat.html)

dayton1 10-31-2012 01:22 PM

Nortech 36 vs 43 cat

Ok guys. I am curious if I can get some feed back on the plus and minus of these two lengths if it used in bay and lake waters. Will the handling, loading, unloading and docking be much different? What about the resale. It seems the 43 cats stay on the market for longer, are they that much worse? I had my mind set on a 36, but the 43 "cat astophe" boat keeps getting my attention because of the price.

I am looking for some good advise because I have never been in a powerboat larger than a 36 and this will be my first cat by the way. What do yall think?

Perlmudder 10-31-2012 04:16 PM

Speak to Catastrophe on here. I believe he was the original owner of the boat. He should be able to tell you all you need to know about it,.

seafordguy 10-31-2012 07:55 PM

Never ridden in a cat so can't speak specifically to cats, but my opinion on boat length is that you get real used to boats real fast. When I bought my Cafe it felt MASSIVE. by the end oft he first summer I would look at it and think how small it looks. Buy BIG - you'll get used to it fast..... Just my .02.

POWERPLAY J 10-31-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3806809)
Never ridden in a cat so can't speak specifically to cats, but my opinion on boat length is that you get real used to boats real fast. When I bought my Cafe it felt MASSIVE. by the end oft he first summer I would look at it and think how small it looks. Buy BIG - you'll get used to it fast..... Just my .02.

Yup. What he said. ^^^

Perlmudder 10-31-2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J (Post 3806826)
Yup. What he said. ^^^

True, then you can skip a year of having two-foot-itis

Jupiter Sunsation 10-31-2012 09:03 PM

The problem with the big cats is the beam. You need a tilt trailer to get them down the road (legally). The 36 NT is a big cat, it is closer to 38+ ft if I recall correctly.

I believe some of the 43's had a hop issue, research it on here.

dayton1 10-31-2012 09:49 PM

Yes... I agree with getting used to size quick, but what do you guys think about the resale factor? The 4300 sure seem to outlast the 3600 for time on the market. I just don't want to get into something that is hard to sell when I'm ready to get out of it.

POWERPLAY J 11-01-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by dayton1 (Post 3806908)
Yes... I agree with getting used to size quick, but what do you guys think about the resale factor? The 4300 sure seem to outlast the 3600 for time on the market. I just don't want to get into something that is hard to sell when I'm ready to get out of it.

Doesn't matter what it is. If it is ugly or over priced it will sit on the market.

thisistank 11-05-2012 12:57 AM

I've been in both a 36 and a 43 NT cat. I think the 43's sit longer because of their size. They are BIG wave crushers! I've been on a 48 MTI as well and my buddies 43 NT cat actually feels bigger. It's a lot Of boat. I'd liken it to a corvette vs a cadi. 36 is more nimble, easier to tow, easier to dock easier to deal with over all. Both are great boats.

dayton1 11-05-2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3809230)
I've been in both a 36 and a 43 NT cat. I think the 43's sit longer because of their size. They are BIG wave crushers! I've been on a 48 MTI as well and my buddies 43 NT cat actually feels bigger. It's a lot Of boat. I'd liken it to a corvette vs a cadi. 36 is more nimble, easier to tow, easier to dock easier to deal with over all. Both are great boats.

Hmm...Thanks for your thoughts. That is what Im looking for. Although the 43 may be cheaper, I dont want to be stuck with the boat or find that it is too big a PIA and never want to take it to the water considering this will be my only boat.

Wow...I have never gone back and forth on a decision like this in my life!!

Orthobam 11-05-2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by dayton1 (Post 3809435)
Hmm...Thanks for your thoughts. That is what Im looking for. Although the 43 may be cheaper, I dont want to be stuck with the boat or find that it is too big a PIA and never want to take it to the water considering this will be my only boat.

If you are new to this game like I am, let me give you some real world numbers.

Boat price - doesn't matter that much in the long run
Insurance - $12,000
New lift - $30,000
Minor upgrades (throttles with trim, widen seats, touch up paint) $7,000
Engines freshened - $23,000
Fuel $4.50-$9/ gallon. Not hard to burn 400 gallons a weekend.

So this was a bit of an eye opener to me. I have owned an airplane and I think this might end up costing more to own.

Would I do it all over again? - ABSOLUTELY!!

dayton1 11-05-2012 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Orthobam;3809464]If you are new to this game like I am, let me give you some real world numbers.

Insurance - $12,000
New lift - $30,000

So this was a bit of an eye opener to me. I have owned an airplane and I think this might end up costing more to own.

Yes, Insurance, fuel and the rebuilt engines.... what a crazy hobby we choose. Yes I am new to the game, but I done a lot of research and agree with you fully.

abones 11-05-2012 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=dayton1;3809515]

Originally Posted by Orthobam (Post 3809464)
If you are new to this game like I am, let me give you some real world numbers.

Insurance - $12,000
New lift - $30,000

Yes, Insurance, fuel and the rebuilt engines.... what a crazy hobby we choose. Yes I am new to the game, but I done a lot of research and agree with you fully.

+1, and +2 Insurance is the killer, that is one reason you don't see many cats around as pleasure boats, especially the larger ones.

44MTI 11-05-2012 03:17 PM

Good numbers there to go by. I would add that you really need to look at the engine package on any boat that you look at. If you go with something like a 1100-1300 Sterling, those fuel averages might work but 400 gals is still a very long weekend. If you go with one of the Merc packages, you are going to run close to the same speeds and probably never burn that much fuel and it is alot cheaper to buy pump gas.
I have ran 1075's for the last few yrs and you will average almost 1gal/mile. Even when I used the boat alot i never ran out one tank of 270 gal in one weekend. Usually more like three weekends. I could do the whole Key West run on one tank including playing around in KW, just not the return trip.
I know this may sound trivial, but fuel can easily be your biggest expense, and if you can cut that in half it really helps make the sport more fun.

dayton1 11-05-2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 44MTI (Post 3809592)
Good numbers there to go by. I would add that you really need to look at the engine package on any boat that you look at. If you go with something like a 1100-1300 Sterling, those fuel averages might work but 400 gals is still a very long weekend. If you go with one of the Merc packages, you are going to run close to the same speeds and probably never burn that much fuel and it is alot cheaper to buy pump gas.
I have ran 1075's for the last few yrs and you will average almost 1gal/mile. Even when I used the boat alot i never ran out one tank of 270 gal in one weekend. Usually more like three weekends. I could do the whole Key West run on one tank including playing around in KW, just not the return trip.
I know this may sound trivial, but fuel can easily be your biggest expense, and if you can cut that in half it really helps make the sport more fun.

yep. I agree with you. Both boats Im looking at have 1075 mercs. I have that much narrowed down, I just need to decide in the long boat 44 or the 36. Can a 44 foot boat be pleasure? It looks like you have a 44 footer, what is your opinion on length if it will be used for both Lake and bay/offshore.

Orthobam 11-05-2012 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 44MTI (Post 3809592)

OK the 400 gallons was a guess. I haven't got to run my boat a full weekend yet. I did ride in a 46 Skater with 1500 Sterlings and he went through 150 gallons in a day running hard. Now my 1150s on 93 not running crazy might be a whole different story. Fuel expense is still no joke!

thisistank 11-05-2012 04:29 PM

Now wait, you talking about a 43 super cat or a 44 roadster? Two different boats. The 44 will be newer, updated and I do believe handle Better than the 43. I do t know if Terry is watching this thread but he (or anyone else at NT) can get into the specific differences on the boats. But I assure you, they're different in other ways than just 1'.

44MTI 11-05-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Orthobam (Post 3809633)
OK the 400 gallons was a guess. I haven't got to run my boat a full weekend yet. I did ride in a 46 Skater with 1500 Sterlings and he went through 150 gallons in a day running hard. Now my 1150s on 93 not running crazy might be a whole different story. Fuel expense is still no joke!

Yes it is, an expensive one at that. I'm not saying you can't run through that much, especially with the big sterlings. But it is still ALOT of boating. And when you multiply it by the price difference 91oct vs 116oct. the Money can get really big.
46 Skater with 1300's, 400gal x $12gal=$4800/weekend.
xyz boat with 1075's, 200gal X $4/gal=$800/weekend.
These are just round numbers, but you see the point. If you use the boat every other weekend the fuel becames the biggest expense.

dayton1 11-05-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3809634)
Now wait, you talking about a 43 super cat or a 44 roadster? Two different boats. The 44 will be newer, updated and I do believe handle Better than the 43. I do t know if Terry is watching this thread but he (or anyone else at NT) can get into the specific differences on the boats. But I assure you, they're different in other ways than just 1'.

I am talking of 4300, the name is cat' astrophe.

Orthobam 11-05-2012 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dayton1 (Post 3809656)
I am talking of 4300, the name is cat' astrophe.

That boat was on my list when I was looking. PM me and I'll tell ya what I know.

44MTI 11-05-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by dayton1 (Post 3809597)
yep. I agree with you. Both boats Im looking at have 1075 mercs. I have that much narrowed down, I just need to decide in the long boat 44 or the 36. Can a 44 foot boat be pleasure? It looks like you have a 44 footer, what is your opinion on length if it will be used for both Lake and bay/offshore.

To be honest my 44MTI is right in the middle of those two boats, its really about a 40' boat and my beam is only 10'6". I am very comfortable with it and wouldn't want anything any smaller.
On of my friends had both of the NT's. And I have to tell you the 43 is a HUGE boat. Especially if your not use to something like that. When he would tie up with 46 Skaters they looked almost identicle. They are both great boats depending on what you want out them. If I had to tow it much, I would not want the 43 because 12' beam is really WIDE. Unless of course you are going to have it towed then it doesn't matter.

Kat Krazy 11-05-2012 05:43 PM

I can't tell you which boat to buy or not to buy. Maybe I can help clear a few things up.
First the Roadster 44 and the 4300 Super Cat have the same hull, they just have different decks.
Roadster back seat is very low with wrap-around windshield to make the outboard seats more
livable and no cabin.
The boat really never feels too big till it's on a trailer. In the water you will love it. Safe and stable.
Towing a 12ft wide is a pain. Oversize load permits (easy to get) expensive to forget. You can only tow sunrise to sunset.
Every time I go to the gas pumps I wish that I had the Merc's. I ran a couple of poker runs with
Catastrophe and it was always 10 to 20 MPH faster than me.
I like the bigger boat but I don't trailer much. Both are great boats, if you are up to the tow get
the Biggie.

Orthobam 11-05-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Krazy (Post 3809709)
I ran a couple of poker runs with
Catastrophe and it was always 10 to 20 MPH faster than me.

What will it run?

Kat Krazy 11-05-2012 06:23 PM

I would think Catastrophe would do 145 with 2 people and light load of fuel.
Put it this way I was doing 120 and CAT went by me with 8 people and probably
a bunch of fuel so that boat can move.

Orthobam 11-05-2012 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Krazy (Post 3809738)

That is impressive. I have no idea what mine will do. Can't wait to find out!

baja27 11-05-2012 06:48 PM

I've been in both, the 36 is like a sport car the 43 is like a caddy. The 43 need's a ton of power to get her moving, also you will burn a lot more fuel for the same speed. My buddy sent his 43 to get the bottom worked on and it is much better now. Hope this helps.

GK 11-05-2012 08:43 PM

I had a 36 NT Cat and it was a hassle to haul around, I can't imagine hauling a 43 NT. I remember constantly encountering road construction limiting line size to 11 feet wide without notice. I would only have a tilt trailer with any Cat. I'm back to a V hull and loving it. Don't miss wide load permits.

Catastrophe 11-06-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Krazy (Post 3809738)

Catastrophe has been over 150 a few times.

Biggest difference

You need help to go boating with a 43
The 36 is like a go kart in comparison

I yanked CATASTROPHE to Hudson River run by myself....azz pain
Anything 12 ft wide has its trailering issues.

I've owned both lengths

36 with 700s would be my choice if you want to just pick up and go

I loved the 43 and its a friend of mine that's selling it .

For me it's a case of been there done that.

Like a lot of people you go through phases about how you use your boat.
For poker runs with some enthusiastic buddies its one thing, for going for a toot because its sitting in front of your house its another.

1075s aren't cheap to own when you put PLUS 100 hours a year on your boat.

Re hop in a 43

The tunnel dam cured that for me
Pick your speed quickly and blow through 65-70 aggressively.

I had another advantage.....Raymond and Peter Roberts whose company built my boat gave me instant tech support when I owned CATASTROPHE .
That makes a huge difference.
I did a ton of poker runs with it and for the most part they delivered it and prepped it.
I just showed up and ran it.

Never was interested in wrenching.

Sooner have a beer in my hand than a screw driver.

To the prospective buyer, Catastrophe has been well cared for since I owned it.
I have seen it recently and I know the owner.
He takes good care of his toys.
The paint and finish has been totally gone over.
It's in great shape.

36 with 700s if you are money conscious .

Purchase price is nothing.

You can PM me anytime for more specific details.

dayton1 11-06-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3809983)
Catastrophe has been over 150 a few times.

Biggest difference

You need help to go boating with a 43
The 36 is like a go kart in comparison

I yanked CATASTROPHE to Hudson River run by myself....azz pain
Anything 12 ft wide has its trailering issues.

I've owned both lengths

36 with 700s would be my choice if you want to just pick up and go

I loved the 43 and its a friend of mine that's selling it .

For me it's a case of been there done that.

Like a lot of people you go through phases about how you use your boat.
For poker runs with some enthusiastic buddies its one thing, for going for a toot because its sitting in front of your house its another.

1075s aren't cheap to own when you put PLUS 100 hours a year on your boat.

Re hop in a 43

The tunnel dam cured that for me
Pick your speed quickly and blow through 65-70 aggressively.

I had another advantage.....Raymond and Peter Roberts whose company built my boat gave me instant tech support when I owned CATASTROPHE .
That makes a huge difference.
I did a ton of poker runs with it and for the most part they delivered it and prepped it.
I just showed up and ran it.

Never was interested in wrenching.

Sooner have a beer in my hand than a screw driver.

To the prospective buyer, Catastrophe has been well cared for since I owned it.
I have seen it recently and I know the owner.
He takes good care of his toys.
The paint and finish has been totally gone over.
It's in great shape.

36 with 700s if you are money conscious .

Purchase price is nothing.

You can PM me anytime for more specific details.

Thanks for the input Catastrophe, it is greatly appreciated. I believe I will take you up on the PM.

n20michael 11-06-2012 07:45 PM

I have a video "somewhere" of Catastrophe at the 1000 Islands poker run, hatches up and someone tuning it, it had a pair of BIG [roots] blower motors in it then, and sounded like an alchohol funny car at idle. I have NO idea how fast it ran, but, I imagine, very, very FAST!

Sharp looking boat too, good luck with sale

Although I boat on a MUCH smaller financial scale, I too would like to give kudo's to Raymond and Peter [Double R] they are great guys and I would recommend them for service, advice or purchase to anyone.

wgg 11-06-2012 09:03 PM

What do you own now Sounds like you are making a quantum leap in boats. Having owned 6 cats the last being a 36 Nor Tech I dont think you want a 43 as your first Nothing against the one you are talking about but it is massive Docking a 43 and trailering a boat that size is a lot of work....check insurance first A 36 is a great all around cat Good luck!

Catastrophe 11-06-2012 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by wgg (Post 3810521)
What do you own now Sounds like you are making a quantum leap in boats. Having owned 6 cats the last being a 36 Nor Tech I dont think you want a 43 as your first Nothing against the one you are talking about but it is massive Docking a 43 and trailering a boat that size is a lot of work....check insurance first A 36 is a great all around cat Good luck!

For sure !!!

Forget the boat.
Your haul truck and your entourage is bigger too.

Difficult to go boating without help.

A new 1075 boat being used 100 hours a season and going to 6-7 poker runs a year is very expensive to own all things considered.

A used one is all surprise $$$.

Nothing to do with the brand , all to do with drive train.

36 with 700s is the way to go.

tomtbone1993 11-06-2012 11:00 PM

We're in TX do you plan on using this NT?

dayton1 11-07-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by wgg (Post 3810521)

Yes it will be my first cat and 36 v-hull is what I am accustomed to thus far in the game. I was merely thinking I would skip the "I need a bigger boat" phase, but you may be right. I typically only boat with 2-4 people and I dont want a major pain in butt, I want to have fun and enjoy boating.

dayton1 11-07-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993 (Post 3810605)
We're in TX do you plan on using this NT?

I plan on using the boat in conroe and at my place in glaveston:D So with that being said, I will use for lake and bay/offshore.

dayton1 11-07-2012 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3810594)
For sure !!!

Forget the boat.
Your haul truck and your entourage is bigger too.

Difficult to go boating without help.

A new 1075 boat being used 100 hours a season and going to 6-7 poker runs a year is very expensive to own all things considered.

A used one is all surprise $$$.

Nothing to do with the brand , all to do with drive train.

36 with 700s is the way to go.

To be honest Catastrophe, I really tend to only put 30-50 hours on a boat per year. Both boat Im looking at have fresh 1075's. That would make 2-3 years before a rebuild if everything works out right.

Catastrophe 11-07-2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by dayton1 (Post 3810920)
To be honest Catastrophe, I really tend to only put 30-50 hours on a boat per year. Both boat Im looking at have fresh 1075's. That would make 2-3 years before a rebuild if everything works out right.

Perfect
Enjoy your new boat !!!!!!!!

Post some pics when she arrives.

tomtbone1993 11-07-2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by dayton1 (Post 3810918)
I plan on using the boat in conroe and at my place in glaveston:D So with that being said, I will use for lake and bay/offshore.

cool...we need another fast cat on Lake Conroe along with 4 feet of water. :)

erik1976 11-09-2012 09:22 AM

36/43

I bought the current owner of Catastrophe's 36 NT when he sold it, he keeps his boats immaculate. You would not be dissapointed in its condition.

Erik

dayton1 11-09-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by erik1976 (Post 3811949)
I bought the current owner of Catastrophe's 36 NT when he sold it, he keeps his boats immaculate. You would not be dissapointed in its condition.

Erik

Thanks, that is great to know, but these guys have made me a little nervous about the 43, I think I may be leaning towards a 36 for ease of boating reasons.