Are Nortech's vacuum bagged? >

Are Nortech's vacuum bagged?

Notices

Are Nortech's vacuum bagged?

Old 02-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Nortech's vacuum bagged?

I just read the review of the 36 cat in an older Poker Runs America (I sometimes get behind in my reading) and it stated that the hull is NOT BAGGED. Is that true? If so, why isn't it bagged? What is the argument for an against?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nortechs are not bagged.

The agrument against bagging is that one could squeeze/extract the air out unevenly and thus creating thick/thin areas in the hull. Here, there could be enough force to 'push' the resin into areas that you do not want it.

I beleive all Nortechs are hand rolled.

Salesmanship on the board can clarify 100%, but he is tied up (no pun) at the Miami show.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Registered

Thanks. I always thought bagging was supposed to evenly distribute the resin and maximize the glass to resin ratio and thus keep weight down while maximizing strength. I'll look for more information from Terry when he isn't at the show.

I wonder if they have any intention of going to epoxy laminates like Platinum, Skater, Outerlimits and some others have used or switched to.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Registered

That is correct they are made the "Old Fashion" way.

Great Boat !
Old 02-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered

Terry, can you add anything? I'm trying to educate myself. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Miller,
If you want to squeeze every last bit of resin out, bagging is the way to go. However it can get too dry.
We hand roll every layer and once that layer dries we grind it smooth so that the next layer will be as free from voids a possible. Our methods take longer and yes it will be a little heavier at the end but we have NEVER had a structural failure or delamination. Kind of hard to argue with that. Our glass shop supervisor was in charge of building the NorSafe escape vessels used on offshore platforms and freighters. They have to freefall with a full crew 150' and survive.
Not to say we won't do anything different in the future but for now we like them strong.
Thanks
Terry
Old 02-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for the information Terry. We hear a lot about bagging used in building some of the 'high-end' boats. We don't often hear why one would not bag.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Are Nortech's vacuum bagged?

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Hey Miller,
If you want to squeeze every last bit of resin out, bagging is the way to go. However it can get too dry.
We hand roll every layer and once that layer dries we grind it smooth so that the next layer will be as free from voids a possible. Our methods take longer and yes it will be a little heavier at the end but we have NEVER had a structural failure or delamination. Kind of hard to argue with that. Our glass shop supervisor was in charge of building the NorSafe escape vessels used on offshore platforms and freighters. They have to freefall with a full crew 150' and survive.
Not to say we won't do anything different in the future but for now we like them strong.
Thanks
Terry
Terry is this method still being used on the present boats. Just curious, liked the way my last Nortech felt so solid in the rough stuff, and just wondered what the difference was between the 2 lay ups (lighter layup) and approx weight savings on the 4300 and 5000. Thanks Jeff.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Hey Miller,
Thanks
Terry

yeah,...are you STILL laying them up by hand, or have you gone to vacuum bagging?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Miller
Thanks for the information Terry. We hear a lot about bagging used in building some of the 'high-end' boats. We don't often hear why one would not bag.
Bagging is government mandated not boat builder mandated it does not build a better boat do some home work!!!!

Quick Reply: Are Nortech's vacuum bagged?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.