let it breathe

Notices

let it breathe

Old 02-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default let it breathe

Guys,
I was talking with Andy/Magic Medicine tonight, and he asked me if I thought the Heat engine compartment is (air) restrictive. And of course, I do. It's the MOST restrictive setup I've ever seen. How can the engines in these boats not be starved for oxygen, particularly at Havasu (where they're made?!) in 115o heat, with engine compartments another 30/40 degrees hotter?
The only intakes are on the trailing edge of the sunlounge, which looks like a vacuum area. The only other way air can get to the motor is through the side panel insets, over the gas tanks, and around the engine compartment side panels. A circuitous route at best.
This problem gets worse as the HP and CFM demands of the motors go up. Have any of you ever run with your hatch slightly open to see if you picked up RPM or speed?
Here's what I did on my Heat to get some fresh/cool air to the motor. 1st 2 pics are the billet vents I added to the front of the hatch. Last pic is one of the factory intakes. The motor is supposed to breath through this?
Steve
Attached Thumbnails let it breathe-billet-intake.jpg   let it breathe-billet-intakes.jpg   let it breathe-factory-intake.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 02-07-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: let it breathe

When I rebuilt my rear hatch to clear the intercooler, I added another rear air intake "dedicated" to the flame arrestor and throttle bodies. I tried to make this one the same size as the 2 factory intakes for continuity.
This gives me 5 intakes, and they do seem to be helping.
I got rid of my ski pole by replacing it with a round transom light. I like monstaa's piece below better, providing it doesn't leak on the distributor or wiring (shouldn't on this 35 with twins/with a single in a Heat?).
Attached Thumbnails let it breathe-sunlounge-intake.jpg   let it breathe-sunlounge-intake-2.jpg   let it breathe-tabs-install-003.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 02-07-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Registered

I think Monstaa did some very good work on Sick Nordic's boat too. These deck side intakes are in a high pressure area that should force some cool fresh air into the engine compartment. I like his ski pole intake too.
Have any of you guys done something like this?
Regards,
Steve
Attached Images    

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 02-06-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes this set up on Sick Nordics boat (here at our shop) works very well. You can also order the set from us as well.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you keep convincing me Steve I may have to try a little something on my Buddy's boat with my old motor.
We haven't had any issues thus far and we are turning 548 ci at 6000 rpm approching the century mark (95.5). (At Havasu BTW)
I am installing an R-Tech Supercooler in the the next few weeks and we are hoping to eclipse that magic number. If we don't achieve that number maybe I'll take the hatch off and see how it works

I can see it keeping temps down but then again, when we're in the sticks there's not much hot ambient air in the compartment for more than a second or so

Keep us posted,
Dave
(have you actually seen any gains by adding vents?)
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

It was great talking to you last night. Both set ups look great and would be a great addition to the air straved engine compartment on the Heat.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
If you keep convincing me Steve I may have to try a little something on my Buddy's boat with my old motor.
We haven't had any issues thus far and we are turning 548 ci at 6000 rpm approching the century mark (95.5). (At Havasu BTW)
I am installing an R-Tech Supercooler in the the next few weeks and we are hoping to eclipse that magic number. If we don't achieve that number maybe I'll take the hatch off and see how it works

I can see it keeping temps down but then again, when we're in the sticks there's not much hot ambient air in the compartment for more than a second or so

Keep us posted,
Dave
(have you actually seen any gains by adding vents?)
Dave,
You know we don't like bull**** here, just objective data ...
my only "testing" was cracking the hatch, to see if the boat picked up RPM or speed. It did seem to gain RPM. Nothing earth shattering, maybe 50/100 RPM. BUT, this was done in the early Spring, March as I remember. I do think that in hot summer air, it would help even more. I did not do before and after testing on the vents I installed.
Another 28 Heat friend here ('96/with 800HP blower motor) did the same on his. On his earlier version, the strip where I installed my vents is part of the seat, not the hatch. So, it will work on early (95/99) Heats, and newer (2000+) models.
He says "it seems to help my boat", and when riding in my back seat says "I can feel the motor drawing air, there is definitely a vacuum effect going on".
BTW: Those are huge #s on your buddy's Heat. Is that the "light boat" we were talking about last Fall? What does the dyno say? Sounds like some big #S. Keep us posted on your progress and some pictures would be great!
Regards,
Steve
Old 02-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, It's the light boat.
We may have to do some mods anyway to fit the Supercooler. Won't know til we start though. We may gain some additioanl air access with just making it fit. By the measurements it should be OK though.
No dyno numbers but the ECM reads back well into the 900s on fuel usage.
Hopefully that's going to increase.
His X dimension is the same as the rest of ours so it has to be a weight related situation. The boat is all over the place at high speed with the 5 blade which seems odd as well. My Heat liked it. It likes the labbed 30 Bravo with a little extra cup at high rpms (centrifigul hp ;o). This is one he bought from Linster that was previously modified a bit.
He'll be buying a lab 32 here quickly.
Who knows
Old 02-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
Steve,

It was great talking to you last night. Both set ups look great and would be a great addition to the air straved engine compartment on the Heat.
Andy,
Same to you. I hate to see you sell that beautiful Heat. If my friends DON'T buy it, they're missing "THE boat" .
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 02-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered

Dave,
What kind of gearcase are you running? Mine seems happy with both props and the IMCO.
Tabs may help settle it down.
Regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: let it breathe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.