got wet today

Notices

got wet today

Old 03-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default got wet today

Well,
We had high of 54o today, so it was a little cool , but it was worth it.
86MPH @ 5600 banging the limiter, with drag boat, ass rippin' acelleration with the 28" P5-X. Felt like it could have turned 5800 easy. Slip #s are very good @13%
85.5 @ 5550 occaisionally hitting the limiter, good acelleration with my Throttle Up blueprinted 30" Bravo 1. Slip here is 15.8%. I used 29"s (-1" correction factor) to figure.
this is with a 1" spacer..............
conclusions:
the Bravo works better with the spacer, TU does great work, the P5-X seemed OK with the spacer, the new tabs work great, I need to get my rev limiter raised.
I thought AZSM had raised my limiter 500 rpm to 5800, but it must be 5600. I'll call tomorrow. May have to send it back for reprogramming, or try a 29" P5-X.
FINALLY got that 10th MPH increase . The boat ran 76 when I bought it 2 years ago.
A friend here with 575s in his 42' Fountain just rebuilt them with custom hydraulic roller cams and went from 88 to 92, picked up 400RPM, and lots of acelleration (I thought these motors were undercammed ). He pulled 30" P5-Xs 5800. This is without intercoolers. AZSM did the ECU reprogramming, and the motors seem fine. Pretty sweet considering they did it without dynoing the motors.
Sounds like a project (and set of Dart Pro 1s) for next winter on mine .
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-03-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: got wet today

Hey Steve, good to see you got out. I also ran my boat the other day. I sent the prop (29 P5X) for labbing and cupping. Temp was almost 90 out. It ran 87.4 on glass water so I'm pretty happy. It did actually start a mild chine walk. First time It's ever done that. Probably from the extra cup and exta trim that I was able to achieve with the spacer and added cup. I'm wondering how it will perform with a Bravo 1 prop. My 30 was about 1 MPH faster stock. Maybe a good labbed 32 would work. I'll try the 30 next time I get out.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered

Steve, I'm going to be on Lake Cumberland the week of June 11th. Staying on a house boat Any chance you'll be in the area? Maybe we could hook up. We'll be passing through Nashville on the way. If nothing else maybe we could meet up then. We'll probably be traveling with another couple with their brand new Heat. We're going to pick it up next week at Havasu.

Bob
Old 03-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
Steve, I'm going to be on Lake Cumberland the week of June 11th. Staying on a house boat Any chance you'll be in the area? Maybe we could hook up. We'll be passing through Nashville on the way. If nothing else maybe we could meet up then. We'll probably be traveling with another couple with their brand new Heat. We're going to pick it up next week at Havasu.

Bob
Bob,
You guys will like Cumberland. It's a huge lake, about 2 1/2 hours northeast of here. Don't know if I'll be at Cumberland, but we can definitely hook up here in Nashvegas. We've got 2 lakes and a river here in town, so your friends can check us out too. Lots of good music/food/booze too .
Have you still got my #s?
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 03-26-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered

Hey Steve, good to see you got out. I also ran my boat the other day. I sent the prop (29 P5X) for labbing and cupping. Temp was almost 90 out. It ran 87.4 on glass water so I'm pretty happy. It did actually start a mild chine walk. First time It's ever done that. Probably from the extra cup and exta trim that I was able to achieve with the spacer and added cup. I'm wondering how it will perform with a Bravo 1 prop. My 30 was about 1 MPH faster stock. Maybe a good labbed 32 would work. I'll try the 30 next time I get out.
Bob, for 90o and sticky water, that's not bad.
Better conditions and blueprinting, you should be knocking on 90.
I could have tested a 32" B1 today, and like an fool, left it in the garage....may have been the ticket.
Steve
Old 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Registered

Talked to Ben at AZSM today. He says my limiter was set @ 5700 RPM. My tach may be off a little?
Nice guy, says they will reset it for N/C for ECUs they have previously programmed for existing customers. Now that's service.
What do you guys think about raising the Merc ECU limit to 6000 RPM, and adding a soft touch rev control to my 6M-2? I would set the MSD rev control to 5800. I would rather remove spark (MSD) than fuel (Merc ECU) on a blower motor @ high RPM. Not that I plan to bang the limiter all day, but the factory limiter could create a lean condition, from my viewpoint.
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 03-27-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

I think the rev limiter is a great idea. With the cam that thing has I suspect you're on the down side of the power curve at 5700 RPM. Seems like propping it to about 5400-5500 would be about the max I'd want to see.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Registered

I think the rev limiter is a great idea. With the cam that thing has I suspect you're on the down side of the power curve at 5700 RPM. Seems like propping it to about 5400-5500 would be about the max I'd want to see.
Bob,
I agree.....I need that custom Comp cam my friend is running, but I'm done with mods for this season (yeah right ).
Actually in hot weather (normal here) and heavy to moderate loads, the 28" P5 sits right at 5500. I sure would like to have tried your 29" P5. Maybe it would have pulled the Rs back a little, and kicked up the MPH.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve those are some pretty impressive numbers! You are knocking on 90. The new heads and cam you are talking about might just be the ticket. Good luck and have a great summer on the lake!

PS I miss my old Nordic already!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
Steve those are some pretty impressive numbers! You are knocking on 90. The new heads and cam you are talking about might just be the ticket. Good luck and have a great summer on the lake!

PS I miss my old Nordic already!
Andy,
The Harts have been working on your former boat diligently. It is looking good. I'll let them fill you in.
I will be freshening up the Heat next winter with some new toys .............it's turn key and running so well now, I hate to fool with it any more since spring is FINALLY (70o today) here. Time for some gentlemanly mechanics, as in wash, wax, and load up the cooler .
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-03-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: got wet today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.