December boating in Nashvegas >

December boating in Nashvegas

Notices

December boating in Nashvegas

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default December boating in Nashvegas

I really don't understand what all this global warming uproar is about ...............
We've been enjoying 70+ degree Springlike weather here in middle TN, so a few of us diehards decided to get out one last time this past Saturday.
There are a couple of videos in the MCPA forum on the "To all my brothas in the DOC" thread that you might enjoy if you are stuck indoors.
The boats are a kick ass 388 Huster with twin Whipple charged 598s, a 38' Stryker with twin 770NA 598's, a 24' supercharged King Cat tunnel, and my Heat.
Happy Holidays to all my Nordic friends ,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-19-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: December boating in Nashvegas

Great video. Makes me want to get on the water. It's been in the 80's here, but my boat is apart. I thought you had yours pulled apart already too.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

Bob,
We will probably yank the motor this week. The timing is good because it is starting to blow a little oil out of the dipstick. Probably just worn rings and blowby, but it could be something else.
I have question for you. I am going to run my Weiand 256 Merc EFI for another season, and see how the new combination works. The blower was just rebuilt by TBS, so I may as well.
You'll recall I bought a Whipple intercooler from you a couple of years ago, and it is a nice piece. How much trouble would it be to convert to a Whipple 3.3? I assume the intercooler would work with a new top plate (or machine mine)?
How much HP difference would there be between the 2 systems?
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We'd have to check with Dustin, but I'm pretty sure a top plate change would work. The 3.3 will flow enough air to support 900 HP, so it would allow you to build your engine to that level. The 256 won't flow enough air for that kind of power, so even if you put all the good parts in, the blower could not maintain the boost level you need for the HP without spinning excessively fast. To look at it a different way, adding the intercooler and raising the boost to around 6 psi will make about 650HP on a 575SCI. Putting a 3.3 Whipple on a 500EFI makes 700+ HP at roughly the same boost level. I think you'll also find the Whipple EFI system to be more economical at cruise. I know my boat gets just under 3 MPG anywhere from 35-50 Mph, which is about the same as a 496 gets in that hull
Old 12-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
We'd have to check with Dustin, but I'm pretty sure a top plate change would work. The 3.3 will flow enough air to support 900 HP, so it would allow you to build your engine to that level. The 256 won't flow enough air for that kind of power, so even if you put all the good parts in, the blower could not maintain the boost level you need for the HP without spinning excessively fast. To look at it a different way, adding the intercooler and raising the boost to around 6 psi will make about 650HP on a 575SCI. Putting a 3.3 Whipple on a 500EFI makes 700+ HP at roughly the same boost level. I think you'll also find the Whipple EFI system to be more economical at cruise. I know my boat gets just under 3 MPG anywhere from 35-50 Mph, which is about the same as a 496 gets in that hull
Bob, Thanks for the info. Like I say, we are going to go with my existing induction for next year. The boat's running pretty well now, and I think I'll be pleased with the upgrades (for a while anyway ). I agree that the Whipple upgrade
is a great idea. Then a stroker crank, another cam upgrade, port the heads....man this sh-t nevers ceases !
Happy Holidays,
Steve
Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,
You'll also need to change out out the pulley components and such. Also, depending on hp level, your injectors will become suspect unless you've already addressed this.
Your hatch clearance issues will move to the back of the hatch but we have succesfully raised two (I think Bob did this as well) by just adding spacers on the hinges.
On the Supercooler install we raised the back 1" with the afore mentioned spacers, added 1" thick rails (Delrin) along the support rail and dropped the seat piece were your vents are to match the seat. This made it very solid for in and out access, sunbathing, etc. accross the hatch.
Dave
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Registered

Dave,
I think you are referring to the Whipple installation? I have raised/modified my hatch already by spacing the 2 halves apart with stringers and redoing the upper section uphoulstery to clear the additional height needed for my intercooler. My hatch is the only only one I have seen that already had a cutout in the lower half from the factory for the relatively tall 575.
The nice thing is the hatch is now flatter and more comfortable to lay on, and I was able to add a 3rd rear opening dedicated to the fuel injectors/induction.
I like what you guys did to. I was considering hinge spacers also. I hadn't thought far enough ahead on that mod to do the delrin spacers, but that's a great idea.
Here's what I did.
Happy Holidays,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails December boating in Nashvegas-sunlounge-intake.jpg   December boating in Nashvegas-sunlounge-intake-2.jpg   December boating in Nashvegas-nordic-rear-hatch-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-21-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Registered

rear hatch mods
Attached Thumbnails December boating in Nashvegas-hatch-rebuild-lower-small-.jpg   December boating in Nashvegas-hatch-rebuild-upper-small-.jpg   December boating in Nashvegas-hill.jpg  

Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work Steve!
The problem with the Whipple is the Throttle Body and filter are rear mounted and stick up (and out) at then very back of the cover. It doesn't look like you have clearance there but it does look like you may be able to do a simple mod to your existing mods if it's an issue.
Over all, the Whipple sits much lower and will eliminate the need for your prior mods but it pushes the clearance issues towards the very rear on the Heat. There is only about 4" between the rear fiberglass and the air inlet. It's very close but you may be OK. Just a heads up though.

You must be getting excited about your upgrades!!

Have a great Holiday
Old 12-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Registered

Dave,
Yes I am getting excited. Haven't received the parts yet. Eickert seems to be shipping slowly ............
Oh well, it will be a fun winter project.
Happy Holidays to you too Dave,
Steve