Trim Tab angle on Heat >

Trim Tab angle on Heat

Notices

Trim Tab angle on Heat

Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be mounting my tabs (also Dana 1000's), horizontally, and over the inner strakes. I have video of my boat going 90+ mph from the rear of the boat, and you can see the boat start to chine walk when the boat is lifted above the inner strakes, on the pad. keeping the boat trimmed so that the inner strakes are still wet, nets me about 88-89 mph. Trimming up beyond this point, gains me an additional 4-5 mph.

Chris
Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see why your tabs would work in a horizontal position on the Eliminator hull. Big pad, flat hull angle,more lift. probably the most efficient way for that application. On a deeper v hull, it may not be.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Some info I have gathered in my quest for an answer:

The following is from Tegque on tech, Power boat mag.

I have a 1999 21' Baja Hammer. It is equipped with a 7.4-liter MerCruiser engine, and has a top speed in the 65 to 70 mph range. It is great for the lake we live on, but occasionally my son and I take it to a much larger lake for a poker run.
While the top speed is OK to run with most of the boats, the handling gets a little out of shape especially when one of the much larger boats goes past and we cross its wake. My question is would trim tabs help or do I just buy a bigger boat?
Alan Gonzalez
San Antonio, Texas
Answer: Adding trim tabs would help to settle the boat down in the cross wakes. Using them will result in a reduction of your top speed, though. When they are up, the boat will be the same as it is now. They can be lowered just enough to improve control without scrubbing off too much speed. I would install them toward the keel, a little in from the traditional mounting location out by the chine. This will allow them to still be effective when the boat is riding high up on the keel and the chines are pretty much out of the water. I also would consider mounting the tabs horizontally as opposed to parallel to the bottom surface. This will allow the outside tips to touch water before the whole plane does. Sometimes, when the planes are mounted parallel to the bottom, the angle of the plate accentuates the chine-walking motion as the boat launches off each plane alternately.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Chris
Gold Member

In the process of mounting my tabs:

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Trim Tab angle on Heat-newcamera-007.jpg   Trim Tab angle on Heat-newcamera-009.jpg   Trim Tab angle on Heat-newcamera-017.jpg  

Last edited by CB-BLR; 05-12-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Registered

Lookin good Chris. Careful of my drive while you're back there.

You going to have that all wrapped up for the weekend? Supposed to get some good weather in Seattle finally.

-Ned
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Ned,

The goal is to be on the water on Sunday.

I will give you a call this weekend.

Chris
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered

sounds good. i'm planning on sunday too.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

TTT
az350 here you go
Steve
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Be cautious mounting your tabs and following the guidance of this thread. I believe Chris has remounted them since these pictures due to some undesirable characteristics. Chris knows his boat very well. It might be worth searching on his most recent posts.

Just an FYI...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

I am pulling up some old posts for az350 on tabs for his information (and his request) if you guys are wondering what this is about.
Best Regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: Trim Tab angle on Heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.