Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Nordic (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nordic-99/)
-   -   Nordic Rage, Born Again! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nordic/210746-nordic-rage-born-again.html)

CB-BLR 10-10-2009 07:47 PM

Jon,

You are welcome...

You are headed in the right direction.

I think with some more tuning you will be knocking on 90 by mid summer.

Chris

Steve Zuckerman 10-11-2009 09:41 AM

Hi Jon,
Sounds like you are getting dialed in. Congratulations. At your altitude, these are impressive #s.
Your holeshot will be fine with the cavitation plate installed, and even better with a P5-X.
Great information for our fellow Rage owners on the Forum.
Best Regards,
Steve

Rage 10-11-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2970773)
I almost bagged the -2, glad I didn't. Thanks for the support! I found a 27 P5X, but didn't have time to borrow it and thought it might be a touch too steep.

Unbelieveably fantastic results. Congratulations!

Just thinking, you already have th -2 bolted on why not borrow the 27 P5X and try it now. Just a thought.

Rage 10-12-2009 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2970763)
Chris,
You were right on the money! 5.5 wasn't much different than 4.5, but 3.5 rocks! I got a best of 86 @ 5700 with the merc lab 28 B1. The boat was slightly slower to plane and the prop wanted to blow out if I got on it too fast. It liked less trim, but felt great at WOT. With this lower I didn't have a cavitation plate, maybe that was why it wanted to slip when coming on plane. It feels light and throws quite a roost even when cruising.

Did you try the labbed 30 with the -2 Imco?

Nordicflame 10-12-2009 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2970777)
I thought a lab 28 would be around a true pitch of 26. Compare this to a 27 P5X I should lose 300rpm for pitch and then another 300rpm for the extra blade. I am thinking I would only spin it around 5100. Does this sound correct?

Jon, You will lose 150 rpm per 1" of pitch. Your 26 was measured at 26.2 and turns the same rpm as your 28 lab so you will lose 150 rpm with the 27 there and the extra blade is worth another 100-150 rpm reduction so you will only lose 250-300 rpm. You should still be able to pull 5300-5400 rpm. If it is my old 27 P5-X it has been tuned by Throttleup so that may skew the rpms a bit. Sounds like it will be a good test for sure :D

Also, keeping it real here. The standard lower with the lab 28 would turn 83 pretty much like clock work on a 75 degree day on smooth water and not a hint of chine walk. The 2" shorty hit 86 on a day when the temp was 43 degrees, windy with a 1 foot chop and walks a bit.
I'm not so sure that your standard setup would not have performed the same with no blow out issues and better handling under these same conditions. Just a thought before you lay down a bunch of cash :drink:

The 27 P5-X test would be very benificial and interesting at this point as would running your stock setup on a cold, windy day.
Maybe you did this yesterday and already have us some results :drink:

It's amazing the difference a hull makes :D
I was a bit disappointed in the motor when it was in the 23 foot Mirage and ran 72-74 mph around our parts. With the Rage hull she is now performing as designed :evilb:

Dave

DesertRage 10-12-2009 09:10 AM

The weather on Sunday was too poor. I never made it out to try the P-5X.

It’s true there are a lot of variables in the mix, but overall, the -2 felt great! I think at this reduced XD it would require a different prop and setup right with a cav plate.

The Friday to Saturday runs were a good comparison, both cold windy days. The truck read 46 when I launched, I don’t think that 8 degees gave me 2 mph. It’s too bad the summer ended so quickly.

bobl 10-12-2009 10:27 AM

Just FYI, I plugged some numbers in a dyno run on a similar engine. Reducing the inlet air temp by 30 degrees was a 40 HP increase! That would equate to over 2 mph itself. Another thing to keep in mind. This test was on a good chop, which usually doesn't require as much trim as running on glass to achieve optimum speed. The difference might not be as much in that condition. Just more food for thought.

Rage 10-13-2009 07:09 AM

Another thought is that the Hydromotive props are stern lifters which is a big plus with the Heat but I wonder now that will play out on the Rage.

CB-BLR 10-13-2009 09:58 AM

I find the p5-x props to be bow lifters. They generally require less posative trim than Bravo's

Chris

Nordicflame 10-13-2009 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 2972064)
I find the p5-x props to be bow lifters. They generally require less posative trim than Bravo's

Chris

It just proves that there is soooo much difference between identical boats :confused:
When I first purchased my 27 P5-X for my old Heat I had to send it to Julie at TU to add some bow lift because I couldn't get the nose up off it's face like my Bravos. (I didn't have a spacer)
This is the one Jon will be trying so it does have enhanced bow lift added into it.

I would think your open bow would be worse if it's true there is more weight in the nose.
Just goes to show that this is exactly a non exact science :drink:

Dave