Rub Rail is getting lose ??? >

Rub Rail is getting lose ???

Notices

Rub Rail is getting lose ???

Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rub Rail is getting lose ???

We I went out for the fourth, boat ran great and hade a great time. When I got home I'm finding that it looks like the rub rail is getting lose in a few spots. A couple of spots on the side very minimal but the worst spot is on the back around the swim platform. Has anyone had this problem on there Nordic???? It's a 2002 Nordic Heat. I have never messed with the rub rail before. Does it have stainless screws behind the middle section??? And why did it come loose in the frist place??? I'm a little afraid to pull it out and be able to put it back and have it look ok.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

I would post a pic but it is not letting me do so.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Registered

Yea there are screws behind the middle insert. Put some epoxy on the threads before you tighten the screws. Use a flat head screwdriver to pop it back in. It goes pretty easy

Last edited by nedpoole; 07-05-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Registered

Thanks I might try somthing this week. I'm just kinda anal about haveing everything perfect. I wish I could post a pic. It's really not bad it just bugs me and I was wondering if I was the only one that has had this happen. Thanks again
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't run into this, but we did recently replace Mayor McCheese's old style rub rail extrusion and insert, with the current one. I have replaced my insert twice. When I first bought my boat it had yellowed, and the second one had begun the same thing, and had a few inevitable raft off dings.
It is amazing how much a "clean" rub rail improves the looks of a boat, vs an old/yellowed/dinged up one.
Just pull out the insert. You'll see pan head stainless Phillips screws in the extrusion (I think they are #10s). They may have just just loosened with vibration over time, or they may have stripped. If they have stripped, you can squirt 2 part epoxy into the deck holes . I would let the epoxy dry, and drill new pilot holes. If they have just loosened, I would use #5200 silicone and snug them back down. If you want to, you can also install some extra screws between the factory screws in that area to keep the extrusion tight to the hull.
We bought our parts from the factory.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I DIG IT !!
Thanks I might try somthing this week. I'm just kinda anal about haveing everything perfect. I wish I could post a pic. It's really not bad it just bugs me and I was wondering if I was the only one that has had this happen. Thanks again
Great seeing you two this week end did you get some of that wind Monday morning? I installed that rub rail at my old job to install the insert rubber make sure its real warm and maybe some silicon spray and get a heavy duty roller.The kind you would use to install screen on door.If you want you can give me a call. Have a great week C n T Smith
Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Registered

I just did my insert this year, didn't notice any of the screws on the extrusion being loose and the boat is a 1999. The insert is not that hard to do, flat head screwdriver, rubber mallet and be ready to get a blister on both of your thumbs