Prop for ~600HP Rage >

Prop for ~600HP Rage

Notices

Prop for ~600HP Rage

Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Still Crazy
Interesting post. I am currently running a 21 Superboat with a 300X and have been considering moving up to a 25 Rage as it is still trailerable and and runs well with one engine. My major concern is stability. The Superboat is NOT fun to drive over 75 MPH as you are constantly sawing the wheel to keep it on the pad, especially when boating alone. Do you have external hydraulic steering on your boat? Is the 25 Rage basicallly an 85 MPH boat or do you feel it could run a stable 90 with rigging changes?
I am AMAZED!!!!!! We are in Havasu driving my Rage for the first time with full hydraulic steering. What a difference! Easy effortless steering and NO MORE CHINEWALKING!!!!! We have been on the lake and the river the last couple days making lots of miles. i can now drive my boat at 90 mph with one hand on the wheel! I thought the first pass was a fluke. Now ten passes later I know it was not. My old Mercruiser-hydraulic hybrid was a POS. Love this new setup! Also love my new CMI E Top headers. They are kick ASS!
Not to mention huge mental horsepower.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by xcpilot
I am AMAZED!!!!!! We are in Havasu driving my Rage for the first time with full hydraulic steering. What a difference! Easy effortless steering and NO MORE CHINEWALKING!!!!! We have been on the lake and the river the last couple days making lots of miles. i can now drive my boat at 90 mph with one hand on the wheel! I thought the first pass was a fluke. Now ten passes later I know it was not. My old Mercruiser-hydraulic hybrid was a POS. Love this new setup! Also love my new CMI E Top headers. They are kick ASS!
Good to know what the real fix to chine walking on a Rage is.

Still let us know how the Hydromotive performs.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was this with steering "and" the P5-X or just the addition of steering and same prop?
Just curious as the prop alone can change chine walking characteristics dramatically.
Dave
Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered

Congratulations! There is no point to having a lot of HP if you can't drive it.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Was this with steering "and" the P5-X or just the addition of steering and same prop?
Just curious as the prop alone can change chine walking characteristics dramatically.
Dave
Ditto. Were you running with the labbed 30P Bravo or the Hydromotive with the full hydraulic steering?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Ditto. Were you running with the labbed 30P Bravo or the Hydromotive with the full hydraulic steering?
I have been running my 30 Bravo and enjoying the new stability. Yesterday I located a 31 P5X Hydromotive and took it out for the day. Unfortunately it was too much wheel and it pulled my revs down from 5400 to 4900. Speed dropped a couple mph to a best of 88. The prop man thinks a 29 P5X would likely get me 400 rpm more which would be about right. Going to have him tweak my 30 just a bit tomorrow to drop me maybe 150 rpm as I am on the rev limiter quite often. This may gain me a bit now and for sure will gain me some when the temps drop a bit. Need to find a 29 to test.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What make/model of full hydraulic steering did you install? Is it single or dual external cylinders?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running my 30 Bravo and enjoying the new stability. Yesterday I located a 31 P5X Hydromotive and took it out for the day. Unfortunately it was too much wheel and it pulled my revs down from 5400 to 4900. Speed dropped a couple mph to a best of 88. The prop man thinks a 29 P5X would likely get me 400 rpm more which would be about right. Going to have him tweak my 30 just a bit tomorrow to drop me maybe 150 rpm as I am on the rev limiter quite often. This may gain me a bit now and for sure will gain me some when the temps drop a bit. Need to find a 29 to test.
xcpilot,
Congratulations man. Sounds like you're getting her dialed in. What do you have your limiter set @? I know a guy out your way who has a badass 28" P5-X he might let you borrow . hint, hint
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 09-25-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
xcpilot,
Congratulations man. Sounds like you're getting her dialed in. What do you have your limiter set @? I know a guy out your way who has a badass 28" P5-X he might let you borrow . hint, hint
Best Regards,
Steve
To quote an old friend "Its all good!!!
Today I saw an all time best of 91 mph. Conditions were glass water and the temp was about 105F. This would be a 1 to 1 1/2 mph increase over any previous speed. My rpms were about 5200-5300 as a result of my propman giving me a bit more cup. I expect more speed as the temperature drops.
Not sure on the limiter, it kicks in at 5400 on my tach, which may be out 100 or 200. i was so impressed with my steering today that "I TOOK MY HANDS OFF THE WHEEL AT 90 MPH"
my wife just shook her head! No problems! Now I need more power!

Terry
Old 09-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

To quote an old friend "Its all good!!!
Today I saw an all time best of 91 mph. Conditions were glass water and the temp was about 105F. This would be a 1 to 1 1/2 mph increase over any previous speed. My rpms were about 5200-5300 as a result of my propman giving me a bit more cup. I expect more speed as the temperature drops.
Not sure on the limiter, it kicks in at 5400 on my tach, which may be out 100 or 200. i was so impressed with my steering today that "I TOOK MY HANDS OFF THE WHEEL AT 90 MPH"
my wife just shook her head! No problems! Now I need more power!

Terry
What make/model of full hydraulic steering components did you install?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.