Prop ?? for my 525 rage >

Prop ?? for my 525 rage

Notices

Prop ?? for my 525 rage

Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop ?? for my 525 rage

I could use some help from all you experienced Nordic guys.
I have only had my new rage out on the lake a few times before winter hit, so I don't really have it dialed in yet. It came with a 26 pitch bravo non labbed which was fine for the powerboat tests at Lake Havasu. It is a little too much prop for Ogden, Utah 4300 ft. if I remember correctly I was turning a little over 4700, but I don't think I ran it trimmed up enough. The rage seems to like a lot of trim and I am just not use to that.
I was thinking about having my 26 labbed and getting a labbed 24 for higher elevations like flaming gorge, WY 6000 ft.
What do you ask for when having a prop labbed and what do I need have done?
My budget is tight after the new boat purchase so something used would keep my wife happy.
Suggestions comments?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered

Skibum,
I have a 28 Merc Lab you can try when the ice thaws. I'm looking to get rid of it.
I'm also here in Utah & that prop is too small for my boat, I think it would work well with yours. Merc labbed are usually about 2-3 pitch lower. If it is still too big, you could lab yours. Bigger is better for cruising, but problem here is that the wide range of altitude we run. The 28 is great for me at the Gorge, but too small at Utah or Powell. My Merc labbed 32 is good for Havasu, etc, but too big for the Gorge. I can't afford a prop for every lake. I'd like to get my hands on a Merc labbed 30 & have the 32 for south & be done.
Merc labbing really is the way to go. Desert Rage (Jon) compared my prop with his locally labbed last fall. The bigger Merc labbed ran better than his smaller locally labbed prop. Just call Merc Racing. # is on the website. Tell them what you are trying to do & have some baseline #'s for mph, rpm at the lake you run most. I just had the "standard" lab done. They can adjust cup for bow lift, hole shot, mid-range, etc. Standard seemed to work for me, I didn't know about all the other factors at the time. It added 400rpm & + 4mph without any low-end changes. Seems like it was about ~$350. Cheaper than a new, besides you'll just end up labbing the new one anyway. The extra mph bug will get you the first time you get beat at a local lake.

Last edited by 90mphRAGE; 02-23-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply I will probably take you up on the offer. It would be good to test a 28 even if it might be a little big. You are correct I am sure I will get the speed bug, but I know there will always be someone faster and that has more money than me on the local lakes.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

SkiBum,

I can back 90MPHrage, he is giving you good info on the Merc lab work. I have had very good luck with their props. The problem with "trying" some unknown shop out is without back to back testing you will never know if you gained everything you should have and could end up costing more in the end. It is cheaper to buy the best once then the alternative a few times, if ya know what i mean... I ran a merc labbed 32 @ 89.5, then a locally labbed 30 @ 86 this is at 600'.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Registered

Default Prop for 05 Rage

I am trying to make my 05 Rage more user friendly. It has a 540 built by Full Throttle Marine with an M-3 procharger setup and a 32 prop. I live at 7000 feet but go to Powell and Navajo (NM). My boat gets mid 90s on GPS at Powell running high boost, but stinks for wakeboarding and slower running. I am contemplating removing the procharger and propping way down. What prop should I use to still get 70s on motor only, but have better low end?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I can help on this one. LOL... Before the blower Brian ran a 26" Bravo 1 that turned 5600-5800 RPM in the low 80 mph range at 1000 ft elevation. We went to a larger cam with the blower so that could hurt low end some. At high altitude you would probably need a 24" to get the low end you are looking for. The torque curve was extremely flat on that engine so anywhere from 5200 to 5800 RPM at WOT would be OK.

Originally Posted by killean68
I am trying to make my 05 Rage more user friendly. It has a 540 built by Full Throttle Marine with an M-3 procharger setup and a 32 prop. I live at 7000 feet but go to Powell and Navajo (NM). My boat gets mid 90s on GPS at Powell running high boost, but stinks for wakeboarding and slower running. I am contemplating removing the procharger and propping way down. What prop should I use to still get 70s on motor only, but have better low end?