Rage exhaust  location >

Rage exhaust location

Notices

Rage exhaust location

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage exhaust location

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering why some rage's exhaust tips are located at the other edges of the transom and some are more to the center, close to the drive? Any advantages either way?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just a personal preferrence when you build the boat. The transom gets kind of crowded when they are run out the back, but it can be done. If you don't specify otherwise, they will be out the corners. I personally think through transom sounds better, but the corner looks cooler.

Originally Posted by surmirage
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering why some rage's exhaust tips are located at the other edges of the transom and some are more to the center, close to the drive? Any advantages either way?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered

Question

My exhausts are on the transom. I've contemplated external steering for the boat and they are right in the way. I'm sure it can be done though.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've got the transom mounted exhaust, external steering, and Dana tabs. You can make it fit, but you will need the close mount Ram kit.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

My exhaust is located on the outer edges. One theing nice about having them in that location is that they are delow the water line during idle, so it helps quiet things down a bit. The negative is that I can't just slide in mufflers to quite things down further on days your wife is sick of all the noise.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Registered

Desert Rage,

Is your steering from the factory or aftermarket? I guess my question would be "Who makes a kit"? I was starting down the road of adding external steering but got sidetracked for a couple of years.

Thanks!

Pat
Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pat,

The kit I used is from IMCO. My Rage came without tabs or steering. Which was nice, so I could position everything at the same time and get it to fit. Here's a shot of my layout and the kit P/N from IMCO. I think they are top notch in quality.
Attached Thumbnails Rage exhaust  location-sa-30-r.jpg   Rage exhaust  location-transom.jpg  
Old 04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A little more info.. I have heard some say the longer rams mounted further away from the drive are stronger because of the increased leverage on the drive. While this may be true from the leverage stand point, it also weakens the ram. The longer rams are more prone to flexing. The shorter rams have the advantage of being stiffer.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered

I don't think a Rage is heavy enough to damage rams, etc. & the single should be enough (better than none). I have the same setup as Desert, but Bennett tabs which are wider & shorter. Plenty of room
Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Registered

Talking

Great! Thanks for the pic's. I had downloaded the information on IMCO a couple of years ago but wasn't sure if I had the room to set it up between the drive and the exhaust.

The exhaust outlets look to be in the same position as those on my boat. I'll bet that was fun to install. I've looked around that area on my transom and I've decided that I need to loose at least 10 lbs. before I can work around in the back there.

Did you have to restrict the tilt limit so you don' damage the swim platform with the drive in the trailer position?

Thanks again.

Pat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.