P5X on a Rage >

P5X on a Rage

Notices

P5X on a Rage

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P5X on a Rage

I just finished testing a 26" P5X on my Raylar 496 powered Rage. Without a doubt it works as well as it does on the Heat! It's a little under propped but the acceleration is great and it will hold plane several MPH lower than a Bravo prop. Top speed is easily equal to a labbed Bravo prop. I could spin it to 5300 RPM at almost 78 mph in the hot weather. That is about as good as this boat will do under those conditions. The boat carries and handles beautifully.

Bob
Old 07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the P5X is box stock? I've been wanting to try one on my boat. Looks like that Rage is running pretty good.
Hope all is well, Bob!

Clark Bird
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Registered

bobl,

What would you recommend I try for an 03 Heat, Raylar 525 with a 1 inch spacer at both sea level and at 6k+ feet. I have the stock Bravo 26 right now. I was planning to test the PX5 26 for sea level and a bravo 24 for 6k+ feet. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

In my opinion a 25" P5X would be the best prop at sea level. It will turn about 100 RPM less than a stock 26 Bravo 1 prop. At 6000ft. you'll need to drop down about 4" in pitch.

Bob

Originally Posted by ekbearly
bobl,

What would you recommend I try for an 03 Heat, Raylar 525 with a 1 inch spacer at both sea level and at 6k+ feet. I have the stock Bravo 26 right now. I was planning to test the PX5 26 for sea level and a bravo 24 for 6k+ feet. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bob,
Good news it works on the Rage as well. That's all I run anymore.
The first time I tested a box stock 28" P5-X on my Heat, it had a much better hole shot, acelleration, midrange MPH, and 1 mile an hour on top vs my Merc blueprinted 30" Bravo. I had the Bravo modified locally after the Merc blueprint to cut down the slip and blowout. After having Throttle Up blueprint the P-5X, it was 4 MPH faster (85 to 81, light load) than the Merc blueprinted 30", which to me was a more apples to apples comparison.
The other thing I like about the 5 blades is they are much less weight sensitive than 4 blades. Like a lot of us, my load ranges from just me and light for testing, to 4 or 5 people and their gear, and full gas tanks. The 5 blade does lose a few mph with a heavy load, but it just kills 4 blades.
Regarding top end handling, I just ran the roughest poker run I've ever been in (KYLPR). I was thinking this is not going to be fun, I'm going to tear the boat up and we are going to be miserable. The water was so rough (wind generated 3' 5'ers) I had to follow a friend with a 35' Formula for the first several miles. Eventually, it "smoothed" down to 2' 3', I pulled out of his wake and ran with bigger twin engine boats (31' to 39') that should have been able to run off in those conditions.
The P5-X stayed hooked up and handled flawlessly (stability, lift, acelleration, top end). I only used tabs once, when it was really rough to keep the nose down.
The only "damage" was a few loose screws in the engine compartment and under the dash.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-08-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Chris
Gold Member

For everyday cruising, and pulling water toys... I find the P5x impossible to beat so far. For all out top end... my boat likes the Bravo's

Chris

P.S. Steve... I love running with (or better) than the twin engined big dawgs also. Passing a twin engined performance v-bottom is down right fun. Waxing some of the smaller single engined cats is also a blast.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
For everyday cruising, and pulling water toys... I find the P5x impossible to beat so far. For all out top end... my boat likes the Bravo's

Chris

P.S. Steve... I love running with (or better) than the twin engined big dawgs also. Passing a twin engined performance v-bottom is down right fun. Waxing some of the smaller single engined cats is also a blast.
I hear you on both. This run was about 90 miles (from KY Dam, 10 miles from Ill, to 5 miles into TN, and back) so we couldn't run wide open, except for short blasts. We had to conserve fuel running both ways. I was running 65/70 and a twin engine Eliminator came blistering by WOT. I hammered down trying to catch him. All I could do was close distance and pace him. Oh well, as a friend riding with me said "it's a cat with 2 engines, relax and have a beer" ..........
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-08-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered

I could spin it to 5300 RPM at almost 78 mph in the hot weather
I know the 496 hits rev limiter at 5150, does the raylar get more Rpm?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Registered

Raylar makes peak HP at 5200, rev limit is 5400.

Originally Posted by mreedy
I know the 496 hits rev limiter at 5150, does the raylar get more Rpm?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hi Bob,
After having Throttle Up blueprint the P-5X, it was 4 MPH faster (85 to 81, light load) than the Merc blueprinted 30", Regards,
Steve
Steve, By "blueprinted" do you mean made to be a perfect stock prop or does it mean it was labbed i.e. blades thinned etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.