496HO Engine Upgrade Project Complete

Notices

496HO Engine Upgrade Project Complete

Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Bill, one thing that really stands out to me in your setup that could be causing and/or aggravating your chine walk is your trim angle. If you can get your boat to run with the propshaft more parallel to the pad, it will handle better at speed and use your horsepower more efficiently. You are headed in the right direction with the labbed 30" prop.
I am not familiar with the X dimension on the Rage. Just a theory, on Butch's older '96 Heat with a deep (I think it was 15.5"s) XD, he always had to run a lot of trim to (semi)surface his propeller, which induced a lot of porpoising. We put a 2" shorty on his boat (now with a theoretical 17.5" XD), and it runs much better, even though it runs flatter. It requires very little if any positive trim now. I run maybe 1 or 2 degrees max. On my manual Livorsi gauge, with a 1-10 scale, I cruise at 2, and run WOT at 2.5 to 3. 2.5 on my gauge is parallel to the pad. My XD with a 1" spacer is 18.25"s.
Has anyone tried a short lower on a fast Rage? How did that work? Although a 4 blade should have plenty of blade area for your boat, has anyone tried a 5 blade on a fast Rage?
Lateral weight placement is also critical to getting a pad vee to handle properly at high speed. There is so little hull in contact with the water, they are inherently unstable. When your fuel is level in both tanks, does the boat fall off the pad to one side? If it does, reduce your gas load on that side. I run 1/4 tank more on the right to offset the propeller torque on my boat, which tries to roll the boat to port.
Bob L had one at Lake Cumberland a few years ago with blown 540 in it. I know it was really fast. He probably has some ideas for you.
Best Regards,
Steve
Thanks for the extensive input. I clearly have some more research/testing ahead to answer your questions and get where I want to be. I suspect a lateral load imbalance is a significant contributor. The problem with my set up is that at conservative trim the boat is stable but to get max speed I need to search the limits of max trim as Bob Lloyd mentioned for the Rage hull. I had the X dimension but now can not find it. Is that 1/4 tank extra weight on the starboard side of your Heat to balance the prop torque with driver only or other? Thanks, Bill
Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bill, from previous conversation, your prop shaft is the same as mine @ 5.5" below the pad.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by DesertRage
Bill, from previous conversation, your prop shaft is the same as mine @ 5.5" below the pad.
Thanks Jon.

Bill
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve, Thanks for posting your suggestions and info. Is that 1/4 tank extra weight on the starboard side of your Heat to balance the prop torque with driver only or other? Do you use that same 1/4 tank with both the five blade and the Bravo four blade props? My prop shaft is 5.5 inches below the bottom of the pad. How does that compare with yours? i appreciate any response you care to provide.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rage
Steve, Thanks for posting your suggestions and info. Is that 1/4 tank extra weight on the starboard side of your Heat to balance the prop torque with driver only or other? Do you use that same 1/4 tank with both the five blade and the Bravo four blade props? My prop shaft is 5.5 inches below the bottom of the pad. How does that compare with yours? i appreciate any response you care to provide.

Thanks again,

Bill
I use it to offset the right hand propeller torque. With just me on board, it seems about right. With a passenger in the port bolster, I have to use even more gas weight/level in the starboard tank. The passenger weight makes it a little worse. With a boat load (3/4/5) of passengers, I try to get more weight (guys) to sit behind me or in the rear middle with a load of five. It's always better to get the boat to run level laterally by redistributing your total load (coolers/accessories/gas/crew) rather than tabbing it out. Obviously, if we are just out for an afternoon cruise to our local lake bars, I just use the tabs.
I sold my four blades off. I did have one that worked pretty well, which was labbed by Throttle Up (unfotunately no longer working on other manufacturers props), but it still fell off with a load. 4 blades are more weight sensitive on Heats with high X dimensions. With the P5-Xs, there is very little difference in performance. The extra blade area carries the longer/heavier Heat much better.
Good luck with your testing Bill. Your boat is running very well. Sometimes it takes some "seat time" to get the last 2 or 3 MPH wrung out. Be safe and keep us posted.
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Registered

Bill, one thing that really stands out to me in your setup that could be causing and/or aggravating your chine walk is your trim angle. If you can get your boat to run with the propshaft more parallel to the pad, it will handle better at speed and use your horsepower more efficiently. You are headed in the right direction with the labbed 30" prop.
I am not familiar with the X dimension on the Rage. Just a theory, on Butch's older '96 Heat with a deep (I think it was 15.5"s) XD, he always had to run a lot of trim to (semi)surface his propeller, which induced a lot of porpoising. We put a 2" shorty on his boat (now with a theoretical 17.5" XD), and it runs much better, even though it runs flatter. It requires very little if any positive trim now. I run maybe 1 or 2 degrees max. On my manual Livorsi gauge, with a 1-10 scale, I cruise at 2, and run WOT at 2.5 to 3. 2.5 on my gauge is parallel to the pad. My XD with a 1" spacer is 18.25"s.
Has anyone tried a short lower on a fast Rage? How did that work? Although a 4 blade should have plenty of blade area for your boat, has anyone tried a 5 blade on a fast Rage?
Lateral weight placement is also critical to getting a pad vee to handle properly at high speed. There is so little hull in contact with the water, they are inherently unstable. When your fuel is level in both tanks, does the boat fall off the pad to one side? If it does, reduce your gas load on that side. I run 1/4 tank more on the right to offset the propeller torque on my boat, which tries to roll the boat to port.
Bob L had one at Lake Cumberland a few years ago with blown 540 in it. I know it was really fast. He probably has some ideas for you.
Best Regards,
Steve
Bill
I agree with this quote. First off I don't believe you will get every bit of the china out of the hull. You will learn what water condition and slosh you can get away with. The full Hydraulic steering will help a lot but you lose your turn radius on a single engine application. A out of a box five blade will help also but you may lose 1-3 mph on top end. If you have a buddy that has a 5 blade Lab Maximus or22degree Hering to try out I would definitely try them. These prop will lift that bow for you (less trim)... If you like you can borrow my Hering to try out. So you can see what using less trim will do for you.

George

Last edited by goebel1; 12-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently swapped my 29 P5X to goeble1 for a 28 P5X. It really works great on my Heat. You might want to give it a try when we meet up in June. I'm affraid George's Herring might be a bit large for Bill's Rage, but it might be a good test of handling.

Bob

Originally Posted by goebel1
Bill
I agree with this quote. First off I don't believe you will get every bit of the china out of the hull. You will learn what water condition and slosh you can get away with. The full Hydraulic steering will help a lot but you lose your turn radius on a single engine application. A out of a box five blade will help also but you may lose 1-3 mph on top end. If you have a buddy that has a 5 blade Lab Maximus or22degree Hering to try out I would definitely try them. These prop will lift that bow for you (less trim)... If you like you can borrow my Hering to try out. So you can see what using less trim will do for you.

George
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I use it to offset the right hand propeller torque. With just me on board, it seems about right. With a passenger in the port bolster, I have to use even more gas weight/level in the starboard tank. The passenger weight makes it a little worse. With a boat load (3/4/5) of passengers, I try to get more weight (guys) to sit behind me or in the rear middle with a load of five. It's always better to get the boat to run level laterally by redistributing your total load (coolers/accessories/gas/crew) rather than tabbing it out. Obviously, if we are just out for an afternoon cruise to our local lake bars, I just use the tabs.
I sold my four blades off. I did have one that worked pretty well, which was labbed by Throttle Up (unfotunately no longer working on other manufacturers props), but it still fell off with a load. 4 blades are more weight sensitive on Heats with high X dimensions. With the P5-Xs, there is very little difference in performance. The extra blade area carries the longer/heavier Heat much better.
Good luck with your testing Bill. Your boat is running very well. Sometimes it takes some "seat time" to get the last 2 or 3 MPH wrung out. Be safe and keep us posted.
Best Regards,
Steve
Steve, Thank you for your response to my questions. Always much appreciated. I have one remaining issue to bring under control before I can begin the weight balance testing in earnest. That is the runaway engine waste heat that my current engine oil flow with 3x18 oil cooler can not handle during extended WOT running. The cooled oil never exceeds the thermostat 190F set point but at WOT the crank case oil keeps climbing until I shut down usually ~250F-270F. I have an auxiliary crankcase oil cooler design I intend to implement first then hopefully I can do the extended WOT runs to play with the hull weight balance vs chine walking issue and the max trim the hull will usefully tolerate along with the additional WOT seat time to learn from. I also just figured out how to data log gps speed in addition to the rpm, throttle% and drive trim angle for testing record purposes. I will post how it goes.

Last edited by Rage; 12-22-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by goebel1
Bill

George
George,

Thank you for the input. I know no one with those props. It is amazingly nice of you to offer to lend me your Hering to test. I may take you up on that at some point since Bblabes can put more bow lift into mine as well but I am hesitant at this point because others have run props with too much built in bow lift on a Rage and had drive ability problems. So again thank you. What pitch is your Hering?

Last edited by Rage; 12-22-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bobl
I recently swapped my 29 P5X to goeble1 for a 28 P5X. It really works great on my Heat. You might want to give it a try when we meet up in June. I'm affraid George's Herring might be a bit large for Bill's Rage, but it might be a good test of handling.

Bob
Thank you Bob! Yes I think I would like to try your 28P5x versus my B30 next June. I should be able to data log the GPS mph vs rpm vs throttle vs trim at 1 second intervals by then. I may have to do the runs at dawn to avoid the in season boat traffic but that is doable. Thanks.

PS When you get done with your winter engine upgrades you may want that 29 back except that you will be turning more r's.

Last edited by Rage; 12-22-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.