Fixin to be Whippled!!! >

Fixin to be Whippled!!!

Notices

Fixin to be Whippled!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixin to be Whippled!!!

Last summer I gave up on trying to find the exact prop I needed because I knew I was gonna want to install a whipple this winter. I got it close and that was good enough. This time it's gotta be right. The whipple got here yesterday and the boat is going to shop today. Should be ready by christmas. Anyone know what pitch/brand of prop to start with? Is the XR Drive gonna Hold up? I am not rough on the boat AT ALL. It never has the throttle slammed or comes out of the water. It's a Stage 2 kit, So it should be at 800HP.

What about the back seat and the hatch? Are the gonna have to be modified? It's easier to ask than to look through 900 threads...LOL

Anyways, All suggestions are appreciated!!

Derek

Old 12-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be close. I had to raise the rear of the hatch and trim the front to clear the pulley. However I have an ITS drive which raises the engine height some. I think yours will clear.
I would start with a 30" Bravo prop. Your XR will hold up for a while. Change fluid often. The gears will start to pit after a couple of seasons and you'll need to replace them. I've been running a Heat with over 900 HP for 5 years now. XR gears have been replaced twice, but I always caught them before they broke.

Bob
Full Throttle Marine
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

WOW! I'm Jealous. I've been tossing that around for some time now. Still haven't done it because I'm thinking of selling and going bigger. My 525 Heat with XR/ITS is in the process of having the XR rebuilt. Gears , shafts and bearings are all being replaced as I type this. My repair guy swears by Using AMSOIL in the drive. I have always used the Merc stuff and I change it at least 1 to 2 times per year, and it is always black when it comes out. So from now on I'll use the AMSOIL. Good luck. What is your Top speed now? I think you my need more than a 30 Bravo. I ran a 28 with the 1.50 gears.

Ray
Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

You'll never look back! Well, maybe to see the other boats! Those Whipples transform everything from a good time at the lake to an addiction. You'll be screamin!
I'm jealous that your talking boating at xmas. Much better than a white xmas like here.
My Whipple fits in my stock Rage compartment ok, little close to the seat. I would assume your Heat has a bit more room albeit that your Whipple is a bit bigger. Should be fine. See pic below, <1" to seat.
My XR has held up for 5 seasons so far with less than concerning metal on the magnet. Seems if you feather the throttle (hard to do because that whine feeds the addiction) you'll be fine.
Can't compare props because they are different boats, but for reference, I turn 32B1 Merc lab at low elev, 28 Merc lab above 5500'. Guessin a 30 Lab would work.
I would DEFINITELY change the head gaskets before a melt down.
[IMG][URL=http://img682.imageshack.us/i/p5080005.jpg/]
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Registered

Well that sounds like good news on the Drive. It is brand new with only 30 hours on it, so it should be good for a while. I took the boat to the mechanic and we think everything is gonna clear without cutting the seat or the hatch. (Which is good news) We are gonna pull the heads and put new gaskets and head bolts. Probably gonna do a valve job too....
Right now I am running a B1 28 Lab. spinning 5300 rpm 76mph fairly constant, with a best of 78 one time on GPS. I really want to spend the time to dial in the prop this year. (which it seems like I changed props 40 times last year)
Hope it works out good. I thought my wife was gonna faint after I told her the cost. I may have even fibbed about that a little;-)
Motor should be out this morning. I'll get some pics and post em this afternoon. BTW I HATE WINTER!!!

Derek
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind your rev limit will move up to 6000. You'll want to spin it to around 5800 for peak power. You don't want to overprop it. You'll lose speed and be harder on the drive. Rule of thumb when adding a Whipple is to go up 4" of pitch if the rpm stays the same, but you're going up 500 rpm. Plus you're running a labbed 28 which is giving you more rpm than stock. I spin a 30" bravo at 6200 RPM around 93-95, with 900 hp.

Bob
Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start off with a stock Bravo 30, or Hydromotive Q4x in a 30 pitch, and then tune from there.

I have found the Q4x's to be a couple of mph faster than the bravo's, but don't get on plane as well.
I also like it that the Hydro's can be ordered in 1 inch increments.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 12-11-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Derick you suck! I was jealous of the 525 now you're doin a whipple. I just knew I paid to much for that heat! Just kidding! If it's ok, I'm going to let you do all the R & D on your boat then I'll just call you for help when I do mine. Your boat should really haul the mail with this addition.
Kirk
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chase8
Derick you suck! I was jealous of the 525 now you're doin a whipple. I just knew I paid to much for that heat! Just kidding! If it's ok, I'm going to let you do all the R & D on your boat then I'll just call you for help when I do mine. Your boat should really haul the mail with this addition.
Kirk
I hope it does!! I guess they are gonna bury me in this one..... Cause I have WAY to much $$ in it...

Derek
Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
I would start off with a stock Bravo 30, or Hydromotive Q4x in a 30 pitch, and then tune from there.

I have found the Q4x's to be a couple of mph faster than the bravo's, but don't get on plane as well.
I also like it that the Hydro's can be ordered in 1 inch increments.

Chris
Is going up in pitch gonna hurt the plane time??
My 496 w/ a 24" Bravo was a rocket to plane.
The 525 w/ 28" Bravo Slowed it down quite a bit..
Just worried that a 30 or 32 will be a dog out of the hole...

Derek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.