GPS speedo Problems >

GPS speedo Problems

Notices

GPS speedo Problems

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS speedo Problems

Where do you guys have you antenna mounted for you gps speedo?? Here is a pic of mine.. It works sometimes and then looses signal then works again!?!? Did I mount it in the wrong location? I have mounted many under the decks and they work fine, never thought a smoked windshield would mess with the signal. Or, Is the antenna bad?? It seems to be off when it is working (No, really... LOL) compared to the garmin and my phone.. (of course its reads slower!!)

Derek

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is where the factory mounted mine...and it works great!

It does read about 1 mph slow compared to my two digital GPS's though.

Chris
Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered

I'm guessing it's the smoked acrylic and the distance the smoked acrylic is above the antennae.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by pitts1313
I'm guessing it's the smoked acrylic and the distance the smoked acrylic is above the antennae.
YEP and has to get moved to front of the windshield.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Derek,
The antenna is fine where it is. Mine is mounted in a similar position, and when it is functioning properly (it is now), it works well on top of the dash. I was rigging one of my old race boats in the garage years ago, and it had such a nice custom paint job (won the wild paint contest in Hot Boat that year), I was reluctant to drill through it, and install the antenna. I noticed it was trying to read through the garage roof when I was installing it, so I thought it may read through the deck. I duct taped it underneath the deck, pulled around my neighborhood @ 30mph, and sure enough the recall read 30. I fabbed a small bracket and mounted it under the dash.
I recently rerigged Mayor McCheese's factory "dreamometers" ( he misses them, but I told him "the truth will set you free") gauges with Livorsis and mounted his puck under the dash (and and obviously windshield too) and it works well there.
His old speedo was way happy, and his tach had what I call "redneck recall". He just kept smacking it 'till it read something he liked.
I have my Garmin GPS remote antenna mounted under the deck on the bulkhead behind the radio, and it works great. You probably have a battery going bad in your antenna. They are good for about 3 years. You can take it to a local Batteries Plus and they can solder in a new one, or you can call Livorsi. They have an exchange program where you can get a new 12V powered remote antenna to get away from the battery headache.
Have you run your boat with the 29"?
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-21-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hi Derek,
The antenna is fine where it is. Mine is mounted in a similar position, and when it is functioning properly (it is now), it works well on top of the dash. I was rigging one of my old race boats in the garage years ago, and it had such a nice custom paint job (won the wild paint contest in Hot Boat that year), I was reluctant to drill through it, and install the antenna. I noticed it was trying to read through the garage roof when I was installing it, so I thought it may read through the deck. I duct taped it underneath the deck, pulled around my neighborhood @ 30mph, and sure enough the recall read 30. I fabbed a small bracket and mounted it under the dash.
I recently rerigged Mayor McCheese's factory "dreamometers" ( he misses them, but I told him "the truth will set you free") gauges with Livorsis and mounted his puck under the dash (and and obviously windshield too) and it works well there.
His old speedo was way happy, and his tach had what I call "redneck recall". He just kept smacking it 'till it read something he liked.
I have my Garmin GPS remote antenna mounted under the deck on the bulkhead behind the radio, and it works great. You probably have a battery going bad in your antenna. They are good for about 3 years. You can take it to a local Batteries Plus and they can solder in a new one, or you can call Livorsi. They have an exchange program where you can get a new 12V powered remote antenna to get away from the battery headache.
Have you run your boat with the 29"?
Regards,
Steve
I sent Mike Chandler a pic of the dash and he said the same. That it is fine and to call Livorsi. I called and they said to send it in for testing. Havent run the boat yet.. The prop looks bad ass!!
( I know because it has become a paperweight on my desk for a week!! LOL) I'm really excited to test it... Got a B1 30" to test too.. Should be able to go wed. morn...... I HOPE!!

Derek