Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
My only gripe! >

My only gripe!

Notices

My only gripe!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty much what I was talking to the windshield guy about, except one piece that goes all the way across then kind of tapers down on the ends for looks. Now, Nordic just needs to incorporate that lip into the windshield.

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Nordic Boats comes to the rescue!

After talking to parts guru, Mike Chandler of Nordic Boats in Havasu...he shot me over some admittedly poor pictures of the wind deflectors they are making for the Heat and Rage.

I can't wait to try these suckers out!

I will take some better pictures when they are installed on my boat.

Chris
Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
There is a design issue with the Nordic windshield. Like a lot of west coast custom builders they sacrifice some practicality for cool looks and lines. In your case Chris, it's probably gotten worse as your boat got faster. What's a minor annoyance at 65, becomes a pain in the azz @ 90+. When the former owners (Orval and Co.) designed the windsheilds, they never thought we would be running these speeds.
I have the custom Nordic version wind deflectors. It's so hot here during most of the boating season, I like the wind, unless it's buggy or raining. They are much nicer than windaways. They don't fold down at speed. The hinge has a machined groove that the deflector side slides into. I rarely use them, but I did run them during a rainy poker run and they saved the day. They do have a strange effect on cockpit noise. They calm the wind down so much the exhaust seems louder. Until sombody comes up with something better, I am happy to have them.
I think a flip up on the top of the windshield like the old Fountain plexiglass design would help. About half the height of the flip ups should work.
I have ridden with friends that have the older higher Nordic windshields. It is a little better. You can duck down behind it, but it's not very comfortable to do so for long.
Regards,
Steve
I have these on my Rage to. They are night & day @ 60-90 & fold down when cruising to maintain looks. They stay in place at least up to 90 with those grooves. I get lots of comments on them from passengers.
My gripe is the speaker placement. You can only hear them in the cockpit w/ engine off. All well, I like Whipple whine more than any music.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

I agree with both the windshield and the spreakers. You would think Nordic would at least install a stereo you can hear while you are driving the boat. I think the stereo is a bigger gripe for me than the windshield, since I am not going over 80. Well maybe I am asking to much since I only spent a hundred grand on the thing.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 AM
sandman
Gold Member

my old design 32' windshield works great, maybe they should look at their older designs.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Registered

I don't think the deflectors look gay.

Toyota Prius' look gay.

But you're right about Nordic windshields. They look good
and are distinctive but not functional in the least. For many
years my wife and I used goggles until we started using
the deflectors (the good ones with the retention notches).

Pesky Varmint
35 twin 575SCi
Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nordic is sending me the flip top.. bolt on deflectors...I asked them to make them a little taller...and I am going to mount them under the back side of the winshield...and make them easily removable...so as to be able to use my cockpit cover.

Chris

P.S. The stock stereo is pretty useless over about 60 mph...unless you are in the mid-cabin with the front cover on...or the soft front door closed. Ned (05R1) remedied this with a killer stereo install...I think you can hear his at 82 mph on the next continent!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Nordic is sending me the flip top.. bolt on deflectors...I asked them to make them a little taller...and I am going to mount them under the back side of the winshield...and make them easily removable...so as to be able to use my cockpit cover.

Chris

P.S. The stock stereo is pretty useless over about 60 mph...unless you are in the mid-cabin with the front cover on...or the soft front door closed. Ned (05R1) remedied this with a killer stereo install...I think you can hear his at 82 mph on the next continent!
10 mids, 2 kicker L5 12s and 1600 watts of alpine PDX HD power seems to get the job done.

somebody has to try and compete w/ all those damn wakeboard boats!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually cruise with one hand on the wheel and one across the top of the windshield on my Evo blocking the wind.
I know its not very safe leaving the throttle unattended but I only do it in certain situations. I'm 6'3" so you wouldn't think the 4" height of my hand would work too well but its all I need to deflect it out of my face.
Getting a small deflector is on my list of things to add this year so I'm glad I came across this thread.
Now I just need to get a clear opinion of which one will suit my needs best. I'm waiting to hear back about the Nordic version.
Chad
Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

All I can say is Motorcycle Glasses... not as geeky as goggles and when you find a pair that fits snugly, the foam around the lenses creates a good seal around your eyes. I keep at least 1 extra pair on the boat at all times (in case I jump in with them on and lose them)

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered

Default wiley x

wiley x motorcycle glasses work great and you can get prescription lenses for them. they come with clear yellow and tinted lenses.