Notices

Stock 496HO 4 blade vs. 5 blade prop

Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 496HO 4 blade vs. 5 blade prop

Friends.

Just finished reading every post I could find here about props.
4 blades, 5 blades, 1" spacers, etc. Has been very helpful.
There's a fellow out in SoCal making "bravo style" props -- in every size imaginable. He also makes a 5-blade "bravo style". Labbed and unlabbed. Those of you running bigger power in your Heats are lovin' the P5X...so here's my theoretical question.

With my stock 496HO -- if I wanted to try one of these new 5-blades -- with hopes of improving overall efficiency and handling -- would I drop down a pitch to a 25 in one of these 5-blades? From what I"m reading, and generally speaking, that would seem to be the logical step....correct?

Thanks for any insight.

David
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by In2Deep
Friends.

There's a fellow out in SoCal making "bravo style" props -- in every size imaginable. He also makes a 5-blade "bravo style". Labbed and unlabbed. Those of you running bigger power in your Heats are lovin' the P5X...so here's my theoretical question.

With my stock 496HO -- if I wanted to try one of these new 5-blades -- with hopes of improving overall efficiency and handling -- would I drop down a pitch to a 25 in one of these 5-blades? From what I"m reading, and generally speaking, that would seem to be the logical step....correct?

Thanks for any insight.

David
Hi David,
To answer your question, if you are currently running a 26" B-1 or other four blade design, you would want to reduce pitch 1 or 2"s. 5 blades (not all of them BTW, the Maximus needs way too much work) will normally give you a better hole shot, low speed planing, and mid range efficiency. Whether or not you would see a increase in WOT speed would depend on carefully matching pitch and modifications to your 496's HP/torque curve and rev limter.
Hydromotive and BBlades (one of their dealers) both have test programs. Since I am not aware of anyone running a P5-X (or other 5 blade design) on a 496", I would call them and see if they have, and whether or not they would recommend one.
I have never seen a Cutting Edge propeller. They may be great, but none of my friends have tested them.
I think you would get as good or better results by fine tuning your X dimension and blueprinting your B1 if you haven't already.
Regards,
Steve
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered

Just tried a 32p Cutting edge 4 blade and a stock 32p B1 2 weeks ago and they ran the same top speed of 87, the B1 was alittle better in the mid range. The Cutting Edge prop is a very nice prop already labbed, I got it on ebay to try just because it was a very good deal. The props I run are a 30p p5x and a 30x15.25 short tube maximus and they work the best with my stock drive hieght, the best all around prop on my boat is the maxiimus it is 5 mph faster at 3000 rpm's then the p5x and 3 mph faster at top which is 91

Last edited by sport; 06-21-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Thanks for the input here. Good advice and info. I'll let you all know where I end up. David
Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Registered

I have a cutting edge prop and it runs about 1 to 2 mph faster than my Bravo 1(not labbed) both are 26 pitch.

I have been thinking about getting a smaller 5 blade from cutting edge for tubing and wake boarding once I get rid of my Bravo 1.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a 25 p5x on a stock 496ho heat several years ago. It worked very well. About the same top speed as a 26 B1 & about 100 rpm less. Much better cruise and handling.

Originally Posted by In2Deep
Friends.

Thanks for any insight.

David