Running Problem >

Running Problem

Notices

Running Problem

Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Problem

I have a 2002 Nordic Rage with a 496 HO in it and I am having a running problem with it. At 4500 RPM's it starts cutting out and has no acceleration until you come off of plane and start throttling back up. It pulls real strong with no problems until you get to 4500 Rpm's and the longer you run the boat it will start happening at lower RPM's. I have replaced the spark plugs, both batterys (has 1 bad one), and drained fuel filter and it was good for a couple of trips out and then started acting up again. I replaced both fuel filters this past weekend and it did not help. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and what solved or if anyone has any advise. This weekend I am going to check fuel pressure and alternator. I have not had it scanned yet, My boat place has a 5 week wait right now.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indiana Rage
I have a 2002 Nordic Rage with a 496 HO in it and I am having a running problem with it. At 4500 RPM's it starts cutting out and has no acceleration until you come off of plane and start throttling back up. It pulls real strong with no problems until you get to 4500 Rpm's and the longer you run the boat it will start happening at lower RPM's. I have replaced the spark plugs, both batterys (has 1 bad one), and drained fuel filter and it was good for a couple of trips out and then started acting up again. I replaced both fuel filters this past weekend and it did not help. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and what solved or if anyone has any advise. This weekend I am going to check fuel pressure and alternator. I have not had it scanned yet, My boat place has a 5 week wait right now.
it sounds like fuel pressure if you follow the fuel line comming from the gas tank where it plugs into the engine you will see it plugs into the low pressure fuel pump not the filter the pump has a screen somtimes it gets pluged up an has to bo cleaned s ome times there is a 50 micron filter before the pump if so change it you didn't mention any warning horn so it hasn't set any codes I hope this is some help Bart
Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bart@nordicboats
it sounds like fuel pressure if you follow the fuel line comming from the gas tank where it plugs into the engine you will see it plugs into the low pressure fuel pump not the filter the pump has a screen somtimes it gets pluged up an has to bo cleaned s ome times there is a 50 micron filter before the pump if so change it you didn't mention any warning horn so it hasn't set any codes I hope this is some help Bart
I will give this a try. Is it th same if I have the Cool Fuel II, I think that is it, has block that has a cartridge fuel filter and disc (screen) inside of it.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indiana Rage
I will give this a try. Is it th same if I have the Cool Fuel II, I think that is it, has block that has a cartridge fuel filter and disc (screen) inside of it.
that would be cool fuel 3 I still think it could be fuel pressure related but check for air leaks and restrictions on the fuel line before the pump my email is [email protected] or call me @ 928-855-7420 I will try to help as much as I can
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bart is the man!

Give him a call...and he will help you out.

Chris
Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Registered

Thanks Bart. I will check fuel screens and let you know. I appreciate the willingness to help.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

I am not a strong engine guy, but I have a buddy who had a very similar problem. They took it to Unlimited Marine and put it on the computer and it turned out to be a bad spark plug wire.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to get the propper tools to check it out. A fuel pressure gauge and scan tool will identify the problem quickly and probably save you money in the long run.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

Default Update

Fuel pump screens were clean and fuel pressure is steady 40 psi, even when it is acting up. Boat is at a repair shop to get scanned and see if they can figure it out.