Failed Exhaust Flappers >

Failed Exhaust Flappers

Notices

Failed Exhaust Flappers

Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Failed Exhaust Flappers

While winterizing my boat this weekend I had to start and run the boat after I changed the engine oil to check the oil level. I noticed a knocking sound coming from the starboard side of the engine while in the boat with the hatch up. Turned out to be coming from the exhaust. Upon further investigation I noticed that the flapper in the port side exhaust was only 50% intact while the starboard flapper was 100% intact. I contacted Nordic and they informed me that that knocking sound is prevalent with the flappers 100% intact.
Obviously I need to replace the port side flapper and the question I have are these prone to fail and how many Nordic owners have verified their exhaust flappers are still 100% intact?? My boat (07 Rage w/496HO w/ 80hrs) has the exhaust coming out of both corners of the transom. I just stuck my hand inside the exhaust outlet and could feel the condition of the flapper.

Thanks

Steven
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

i only have half of the flaps on both sides, i had this exact problem with my imco tips as well, the rubber ones WILL fail in a short period of time, only remedy is to get stainless flaps which i don't know if nordic has them, may be able to get some and put them in yourself, i don't worry too much since there is some bends in the exhaust and i always ease back when falling off plane to avoid the wall of water washing over the transom
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about every Nordic I've seen with corner exhaust has flappers broken. They are made by IMCO. I replaced numerous ones but finally just gave up. I've only seen one engine damaged from water ingestion (2004 Rage 496) and I found flappers missing. Can't say for sure that was the cause. Probably other contributing factors also.

Bob
Full Throttle Marine