Best Engine Selection for Thor OB

Notices

Best Engine Selection for Thor OB

Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 PM
JFT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Engine Selection for Thor OB

I would appreciate receiving your input on the best engine selection and drive for a new Thor open bow.

Starting with a 600 merc, Bravo 1X as a base, what should I expect performance wise with this engine and what increment in speed should get from an increase in HP from that point. I would prefer to use Merc engines.

I have been told to stay away from NXT drives. Your input would be appreciated on this as well.

Thanks

JF
Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Registered

I am no expert on all things Mercury Racing (yet) but I think there are a couple questions that need answering before opinions are dropped. A) How fast do you want to go? and B) How much are you willing to spend to get there? The age old speedster questions, but they make sense to me.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 AM
JFT
Registered

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
I am no expert on all things Mercury Racing (yet) but I think there are a couple questions that need answering before opinions are dropped. A) How fast do you want to go? and B) How much are you willing to spend to get there? The age old speedster questions, but they make sense to me.
Good point Jay

The Thor is such a nice, fast looking boat that it would be a shame to fork this kind of money and be disappointed by the result.

What am I looking for? I am looking for a daily driver that could hit 100 MPH and even a bit less. This is why I am not entertaining the 525HP because I am told that it will take the Thor in the low mid-eighties. Is this correct?

With this being said, I am not sure what a 600, 645 or 700SCI with a good prop will produce on this boat. I have also been told to stay away from a Dry Sump Drive.
I hope this helps. I am really looking forward to receiving some input that will help me with this decision.
Cheers
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

700 minimum for a 100plus I had one.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

oh yea put a imco box on it best mod you can do .
Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JFT
I would appreciate receiving your input on the best engine selection and drive for a new Thor open bow.

Starting with a 600 merc, Bravo 1X as a base, what should I expect performance wise with this engine and what increment in speed should get from an increase in HP from that point. I would prefer to use Merc engines.

I have been told to stay away from NXT drives. Your input would be appreciated on this as well.

Thanks

JF
When I ordered 2010 heat I was in the same boat I originally ordered it with the 525 but after reading Chris's post on the 600sci and Whipple upgrades I changed my order to the 600sci. At first I thought I would get the 525 and add a Whipple kit down the road to get the boat into the low 90's but after doing some research I found out that the 525's do not have floating wrist pins and use a high silicon forged piston that is not the best choice for a blower. The 600sci is a great motor that I would bet will put your Thor close to 90 and be very reliable and is very ease to upgrade with a Whipple kit to get anther 10 mph if you want to get close to a 100.

Last edited by sport; 11-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

Are you buying the boat new? Or used? Seems to me that most of the guys with the 600SCi or larger, tend not to sell too often. The cost of a 600SCi or larger versus taking an already potent engine and fixing the weak points seems too much to me. I would rather build honestly. I have been in a 90+mph Heat with a custom engine setup, and it was awesome! There is still something to be said for the guys that get dirty and make the power. Unless of course you are buying brand new, then at that point... well, the choice is obvious.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 AM
JFT
Registered

Yes buying new.

Looks like the 600 is a good start but the 700 would meet the requirements. Any comments on the drive to use?

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered

Why not just go with a 1350 and a Number 6 drive Maybe contact Bob Lloyd at www.fullthrottlemarine.com for some more in depth info regarding drives and such. Very knowledgeable guy. He used to be on here once in a while, but havent seen him around lately.